Which XPS 15 version should I buy?

Andy Yu

I have some questions with buy XPS 15 9560 right now.

They have the same spec of

i7 7700HQ

16GB DDR4 2400MHz

512GB SSD

but I am deciding whether I should get the 1920x1080p non touch version or 3840x2160p touch version of XPS

The price is $2199.99 CAD and $2599.99 CAD, I would like to know if that extra $400 is worth the price.

I am also confused with the quote on the website: " Starting at weight: 1.8kg (4 lbs)3 with 56Whr battery, SSD and non-touch display; 2kg (4.4 lbs)3 with 56Whr battery, hard drive and touch display"

but down below in the "primary battery" section it said 97WHr Battery. So... which one is it?

I am a grade 11 student right now, and I am going to do animation and programming in the next 2 years, and sometimes I edit 1080p60 gaming videos with premiere, but I am still stuck with the decision.

This laptop will be my daily portable laptop in the next 4 years, so please help :) 

Hope anyone that read this have a nice day.

20 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

depends what you are looking for, i would get a 4k screen and a big battery. 

I think the battery size is enough if it is 97WHr but IDK what screen should I choose

29 minutes ago, Andy Yu said:

I think the battery size is enough if it is 97WHr but IDK what screen should I choose

up to you if you watch media/futureproof 4k, if you are buying for school or work 1080p. battery life is the key here. 

I own a Precision 5510 which has the exact same 4K panel as the XPS 15, and the screen itself is absolutely fantastic. The colours look brilliant if oversaturated, and the display is so sharp. The only two things that ruin the 4K display are battery life (I get round 5 hours screen on time doing web browsing), as well as the fact that response times aren't great to be honest.

I had to make this exact decision 6 month ago. Thankfully i was lucky enough to have both the 1080 and the 4K versions to play with for a couple of weeks before deciding.

I went with the 1080 version. Simply because I wasn't convinced Windows could handle UI scaling properly. This comes from my experience with having a Surface Pro 3 as my main for 2 years. I could overcome my concerns about UI scaling but still couldn't justify the additional spend.

In the end I went for the exact model you're looking at and have no regrets. Absolutely solid laptop. It can certainly handle itself in a wide variety of tasks - I've used it for Photoshop, video editing etc, and as a development platform for some apps i'm working on.

Only downside after 6 months of use is the lack of I/O. Two USB 3.0 ports are OK.. could do with more and it's certainly possible if you get a Thunderbolt/USB C extender.

Another thing to look out for is how dirty the Carbon Fibre palm rest gets after a day of use. Keep a small microfibre cloth in your laptop bag as it picks up every little fingerprint you make. Although that's probably more on me to not eat at my desk.....

image1.JPG

get the UHD. it's got better response times than the FHD and having touch is great

8 hours ago, Akima said:

I had to make this exact decision 6 month ago. Thankfully i was lucky enough to have both the 1080 and the 4K versions to play with for a couple of weeks before deciding.

I went with the 1080 version. Simply because I wasn't convinced Windows could handle UI scaling properly. This comes from my experience with having a Surface Pro 3 as my main for 2 years. I could overcome my concerns about UI scaling but still couldn't justify the additional spend.

In the end I went for the exact model you're looking at and have no regrets. Absolutely solid laptop. It can certainly handle itself in a wide variety of tasks - I've used it for Photoshop, video editing etc, and as a development platform for some apps i'm working on.

Only downside after 6 months of use is the lack of I/O. Two USB 3.0 ports are OK.. could do with more and it's certainly possible if you get a Thunderbolt/USB C extender.

Another thing to look out for is how dirty the Carbon Fibre palm rest gets after a day of use. Keep a small microfibre cloth in your laptop bag as it picks up every little fingerprint you make. Although that's probably more on me to not eat at my desk.....

image1.JPG

I actually never know that UI scaling is that bad on Win 10, I only have a MBP 2012 that is 1200x800 and current pc running 1080p, thank you for saying that

6 hours ago, Eason85 said:

get the UHD. it's got better response times than the FHD and having touch is great

I also heard that both 4k and 1080p have response time issue, ill research about that more

7 hours ago, Andy Yu said:

I also heard that both 4k and 1080p have response time issue, ill research about that more

There is variance between panels, but overall the 4k is definitely best

Edited by Eason85