Motherboard power won't go in

GenialGiraffe

Moved my pc a foot and it fell out (it was loose apparently). It was powered off completely but now I can't get the cable in. How much pressure do i need?

a lot of pressure, but make sure all of the pins are straight. last thing you need is to bend the pins.

My Rig: | CPU: Core i7-8086k @ 4.9 GHz | Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix z370 | CPU Cooler: (some coolermaster one that probably should have been retired several years ago) | Case: Corsair 570x | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro

Is it the NEMA connector on the PSU or the mainboard connector.  The NEMA connector on the back of the PSU that you plug in the cable that goes from the wall to the PC should fit in pretty snug, but not too much pressure.  Almost like plugging a device into a wall.  It's made to go in a specific orientation, so make sure you're plugging it in straight.

If it's the mainboard 24-pin connector, make sure your pins are lined up.  The 24-pin connector can require a little effort to go in.  maybe even have a few finger under the mainboard to help with support.

18 hours ago, Doramius said:

Is it the NEMA connector on the PSU or the mainboard connector.  The NEMA connector on the back of the PSU that you plug in the cable that goes from the wall to the PC should fit in pretty snug, but not too much pressure.  Almost like plugging a device into a wall.  It's made to go in a specific orientation, so make sure you're plugging it in straight.

If it's the mainboard 24-pin connector, make sure your pins are lined up.  The 24-pin connector can require a little effort to go in.  maybe even have a few finger under the mainboard to help with support.

It's the 24 pin and I put enough pressure oriented correctly (supported on the back with my fingers) that I was afraid of damaging something. It was almost clipping in but no matter what I did it just would not go in more. 

From the sounds of it, you managed to get it in place.  I've had a few PSUs where the connections were tight.  Seemed even moreso after removing the connector 1 time.  Unsure why, but I've had a few similar issues.  It just required a little more  effort to plug in.  Others, I just removed and re-inserted.  sometimes 7 or 8 times before it seated smooth enough to clip properly.  Again, unsure why so tight, but some PSUs just go on tight.