So..i just got my new video card...and now my display is zoomed in to a point where i can barely work...

So... My new video card (gtx 1050 for the win!) so I did the usuall...switch from integrated graphics and plug into a new display. But I actually don't have a "real" computer monitor with a HDMI input. I have been using an old Dell monitor that I got in 2004 And just used a vga input which was on my motherboard...but the gtx 1050 didn't have a vga output sooo I had to improvise....

I am now using an....Emerson 4 Television as a "monitor" for now.(it's one of the 60$ cheaper tv's you find at Wal-Mart if that gives you a refrence...). Apart from having an HDMI input this screen sucks (terrible contrast,aspect is very...weird looking,big...clunky) there's one glaring problem I'm having now....1485386918530-1849202601.jpgthe edges are cut off...and everything is zoomed in further...

So...yes I have done research

-all drivers are up to date...but it's an Emerson tv there's no drivers for it (in device manager its labled"generic PnP monitor")..and my video card has of course been updated to the latest version of drivers 

-there are settings on the tv....but they are disabled because I'm not using the "pc" station (which is the vga input)and instead using the HDMI 1 station

So....My question is...is there any fix for this?

Or will I have to just wait till I save enough dough for an actual monitor?

I do have to give kudos to Emerson for a few things though...the audio on this is amazing the speakers are clear even when turned up to high volumes....surprisingly sturdy once you  get passed how heavy and clunky it is,and it has a DVD player!....ya know....if you still use those. 

Go into the drivers of the card and change the overscan settings.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

As said simply open up your drivers, there is a setting to fix exactly this. Its very easy, your problem will be fixed in minutes.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Just to check, have you installed the driver software for the card? If you haven't it will be forced to run at 640x480 which would explain why it's weirdly zoomed in.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Go and find the overscan settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. Switch it to your needs. I'd recommend getting an adapter and using VGA, since it doesn't overscale as much

idk

And by the way, you can buy an adapter from HDMI to VGA so you can use your Dell monitor. It should be pretty cheap.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

9 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Go into the drivers of the card and change the overscan settings.

Except that ends up creating a custom resolution, which looks worse than native.

The correct way is to

1) set computer resolution to the exact resolution of the TV

2) enter TV settings and select auto adjust

3) it should now run at both native resolution and look the correct size

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Except that ends up creating a custom resolution, which looks worse than native.

The correct way is to

1) set computer resolution to the exact resolution of the TV

2) enter TV settings and select auto adjust

3) it should now run at both native resolution and look the correct size

That's great other than it really doesn't look worse. I had the same problem with my grandma's TV and this was the easy fix and you can't really tell I had to mess with overscan.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Or the TV's. Some TVs have a "zoomed in" mode.

heh, it's been so long since I've used one of those that I forgot they even existed.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Well only took an hour but I found he solution,

In nvidea controll I just resized the display and adjusted the resolution and everything worked well thank you for the help