Help request for a CPU Air Cooler

AnaMontenegro

Hello everyone, I should start by apologizing since I'm sure this is one of those questions that shows up every 30 minutes on these forums, but my research hasn't turned out any satisfying answers, so I just thought I might ask here.

With that out of the way, here's my situation.

I've been running an i5 6600 non-k for about a year now with the stock Intel cooler (cue the ominous music) because my PC was build on a tight budget and I couldn't spare anything for an after market cooler at the time.

Despite that I never had a problem reaching 3,8~3,9 boost clock speed at about 60~65 degrees Celsius under load and the stock cooler was keeping my CPU under 30C with light stuff like internet browsing.

The problem is lately I've see on certain occasions 1 of the cores (while the others run normal) stuck at 800 Mhz, other times it's all 4 cores that get stuck at 800 Mhz.

I've also seen it parked at 3,3 Ghz on occasion.

Despite those oddities, what I've seen most lately is all 4 cores getting stuck at 3,6 Ghz when the CPU passes 45~50C.

I know all of this are tell tale signs of thermal throttling, so I've been looking into CPU coolers.

So far I've been looking at the Cooler Master Hyper 212 and the Noctua NH-D15.

Now between these too I know this particular Noctua is better than that particular Cooler Master, BUT, it is also more than twice as expensive where I live.

Not only that but the Noctua NH-D15 weighs 1320g, while the Cooler Master Hyper 212 is 465g, and they will have to stand on their side, I'm wondering if the main board could ever support that Noctua on it's side weighing in at well over 1kg.

Now I' guessing the Noctua NH-D15 won't have twice to cooling power of Cooler Master Hyper 212 is 465g (or does it?) but I was wondering if it would keep the temperatures that much lower to justify twice the money since I cannot seem to find a good comparison.

Because I know I might be suggested something in between those two, I can look into other options besides those two, even if I am some what limited to the products available in my country.

Your cpu temps are fine with the stock cooler but if you want to buy an after market cooler then buy CM Hyper 212 because D15 is for overclocking unlocked CPU & you would b just wasting your money if you buy it for a non k cpu.

45-50C is unlikely to be causing thermal throttling. I've run my CPU with case fans turned low at 80C, and still maintained a 4.5ghz overclock... 

having all 4 cores at 800mhz some times, and all the way at 3.6ghz is fine I think.. It sounds like Intel Speedstep doing its thing, if im not mistaken... Speedstep is basically the CPU adjusting itself based on the loads its dealing with - so on low loads, its 800mhz, high loads, it'll ramp up to 3.6ghz.. I use speedstep myself and so my CPU varies from 800mhz - 4.5ghz all the time depending on what I'm doing.

Try downloading something like HWMonitor, and take a look at what happens - so see if it is the case where at small cpu utilizations only, its 800mhz, and then higher when you start putting load on the CPU  

You are NOT having thermal throttle problems. Intels CPUs are good closer to 90C. Its more like your CPU isn't being used than it having issues with cooling. Have you noticed anything during gaming/productivity? If not, you don't have issues.

Picking between 212 Evo and D15 are so far away each others as possible. You could have any other budget cooler, bunch or good midrange coolers or some other dual tower. All depending on your location, budget and case/ram restrictions.

Don't worry about weight of coolers. Those are listed mostly because of shipping costs (usually counted by weight of shipment). With all coolers using backplates (like those two and pretty much all other bigger coolers), strain which would be to socket is actually distributed over whole mobo. So when mobo is tighten down and cooler is properly mounted, you won't have any issues. Just, don't drop the case.

And lastly, weight has least to do with cooling performance. Amount of heatpipes, amount of fins, arrangement of fins, materials, size, design and fan/s play much more into performance. D15, according to one review, is about 5C better than 212 Evo. But thats highly depending on situation and difference can be 10C or even 15C.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv