Booting to New SSD

Thunder_Ruler0

So not too long ago i had just finished making a clone of my HDD onto a SSD that I had just gotten. Knowing that I need to restart my PC and go into the ASUS BIOS, and change the boot drive. I cant seem to find where I can do this, maybe I just need to remove the old HDD first before, boot to the SSD, and them plug it back in?

In E-Z mode I just click on boot options and select the SSD drive, and the computer begins to boot up right away. however, when opening file manager I can tell that its booting from the HDD and not the SSD.

Assuming I need to do something back in the Advance BIOS instead, I turn off my computer and turn it back on into the BIOS. This time going into advance mode>Boot> Boot Options and Priorities> and moving the SSD up the list to the first one so that it should boot to it. However, saving and reseting does the same thing and boots the HDD again, what do I do?

Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ ThinkPad T430

5 minutes ago, Thunder_Ruler0 said:

So not too long ago i had just finished making a clone of my HDD onto a SSD that I had just gotten. Knowing that I need to restart my PC and go into the ASUS BIOS, and change the boot drive. I cant seem to find where I can do this, maybe I just need to remove the old HDD first before, boot to the SSD, and them plug it back in?

In E-Z mode I just click on boot options and select the SSD drive, and the computer begins to boot up right away. however, when opening file manager I can tell that its booting from the HDD and not the SSD.

Assuming I need to do something back in the Advance BIOS instead, I turn off my computer and turn it back on into the BIOS. This time going into advance mode>Boot> Boot Options and Priorities> and moving the SSD up the list to the first one so that it should boot to it. However, saving and reseting does the same thing and boots the HDD again, what do I do?

How can you tell that it's booting from the HDD?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

How can you tell that it's booting from the HDD?

Well first off I can tell that it's being its usual slow self. Also, when going into File Manager, and opening this computer. It still shows the little windows logo besides the HDD and not the SSD, signaling that windows is running from that drive. 

1 minute ago, Thunder_Ruler0 said:

Well first off I can tell that it's being its usual slow self. Also, when going into File Manager, and opening this computer. It still shows the little windows logo besides the HDD and not the SSD, signaling that windows is running from that drive. 

ah ok.

I guess trying to disconnect the HDD would work.

maybe the SSD clone didn't work and it's not bootable? then the motherboard would boot from the HDD because it has no other option

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

ah ok.

I guess trying to disconnect the HDD would work.

maybe the SSD clone didn't work and it's not bootable? then the motherboard would boot from the HDD because it has no other option

I will do that as soon as it finishes cloning again since I did stupid stuff in disk manager. Also, I looked at the files myself and there isn't a thing out of place, even the drive name is the same with the exception of the drive letter being E: instead of C: . I'll unplug it when everything is ready to go again, though, is there anything wrong with connecting the old HDD once the computer has powered on and booted to windows? (assuming it does) That way if all is right I can format the old drive. 

4 minutes ago, Thunder_Ruler0 said:

why don't you disconnect the hdd and see if it boots off the ssd just fine like make everything's in place and if it's good then plug the hdd back in and format it  

1 minute ago, Neo0152 said:

why don't you disconnect the hdd and see if it boots off the ssd just fine like make everything's in place and if it's good then plug the hdd back in and format it  

I will do that as soon as it finishes cloning again since I did stupid stuff in disk manager. Also, I looked at the files myself and there isn't a thing out of place, even the drive name is the same with the exception of the drive letter being E: instead of C: . I'll unplug it when everything is ready to go again, though, is there anything wrong with connecting the old HDD once the computer has powered on and booted to windows? (assuming it does) That way if all is right I can format the old drive. 

if you use a windows repair cd or usb you can format the drive without booting into windows

2 minutes ago, Neo0152 said:

if you use a windows repair cd or usb you can format the drive without booting into windows

3 minutes ago, Neo0152 said:

Well I don't have repair drive, and i'd rather do it from disk manager, since i'm more used to using that instead. Though like I said, just waiting for it to copy..

5 minutes ago, Thunder_Ruler0 said:

Just so you know, looking at all the files in the main partition and seeing that they are the same isn't good enough. this is why copying/pasting files from an old to new drive doesn't work.

windows has a few hidden partitions it makes, so looking at the files might not be enough

Desktop:

Laptop:

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Just so you know, looking at all the files in the main partition and seeing that they are the same isn't good enough. this is why copying/pasting files from an old to new drive doesn't work.

windows has a few hidden partitions it makes, so looking at the files might not be enough

well I did look at all hidden files as well. Also going into properties, and looking at the used space for both drives show that they are identical, using just about 79.3GB

well I did look at all hidden files as well. Also going into properties, and looking at the used space for both drives show that they are identical, using just about 79.3GB

Again, that doesn't include the other partitions

how did you clone the drive? if you simply copy/pasted all files then you did it wrong

Desktop:

Laptop:

Again, that doesn't include the other partitions

how did you clone the drive? if you simply copy/pasted all files then you did it wrong

NTSF Partition is also the exact same size.. I used a free HDD cloning software that includes SSD optimization.