windows 10 no desktop icons

twoSalty

i installed classic shell and startup sound changer but after a restart this happened. im uninstalled startup sound changer but icon are still gone. i was thinking of deleting my user and remaking it. windows 10 pro anniversary update

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Main PC
CPU: i3-4160. RAM: 2x4GB Kingston ValueRam. GPU: Asus GTX750Ti OC 2GB (Palit StormOC 750Ti Bios). CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X.
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3. Storage: 1x Samsung 840 Evo. RAID 0: WD Scorpio Blue 500GB, WD Caviar Blue 500GB. PSU: Corsair CX500M.
Network: some TP-Link card that doesnt support 5.0Ghz. Case: Casecom Neptune CP-626 (the cooler doesnt fit so the side panel stays off).
Mouse: Logitech G430. Headphones: Sennheiser RS195. Keyboard: Lenovo KU0225. OS: Windows 10 Pro

stuff that isnt my main pc
Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E531 - Ubuntu 17.04 (Gnome Desktop)
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B - Not in Use
Raspberry Pi 3 - RetroPie

Phones/Tablets
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Lineage 14.1 (Android 7.1.1)
HTC One M7 - Dead Charging Port - Lineage 14.1 (Android 7.1.1)
HTC One M8 - Dead Sim Port -  Lineage 15 (Android 8.0.0)
Telstra 4GX Plus (ZTE Blade A462) - Android M Stock
iPhone 4S - Dead Battery Sensor (Stuck on too hot warning) - Latest iOS 9
iPhone 5 - MAIN PHONE - iOS 10.3.3

Consoles
Xbox One
Xbox 360 S
PlayStation 2 Fat

Headset: Plantronics RIG400HX 

• 6 months later...

Hello!

I apologize for effectively reviving this thread, but I once had the same problem and you are so far the only person online to show that I was not alone. There is an EXTREMELY easy fix for this, however I did not know at the time and actually ended up reinstalling WIndows out of fear! :/

The fix is:

1) Open up Command Prompt and run as Administrator. (Search "cmd" in the Start Menu, right-click the "Command Prompt" search result, and click "Run as Administrator")

2) Type "sfc /scannow" and press ENTER.

3) Once the scanning is complete, restart your computer.

That's it! It worked for me!

I tried to change the startup sound again a few times after this, but every single time this same issue happened. (The "sfc /scannow" command fixed this every time.) I actually figured out curious thing, which is that this issue only happened to my user account and the user accounts that were not logged into my PC at the time. I had another user account logged in at the time that had a 100% fine display of icons, and apparently means that Startup Sound Changer have something to do with this. I tried one last attempt, which I thought would, and almost, worked until I gave up. I logged every single user in at the same time, then fired up Startup Sound Changer and changed it. I immediately got a Blue Screen of Death. xD

I gave up after this, but you or anyone who gets this problem should feel free to play-around with my "almost-solution" to Startup Sound Changer constantly changing the icons on the desktop even after restoring them. I really do hope that you were somehow able to solve this without having to tediously reinstall Windows like I ended up doing, or that this post helps you in some way. Hopefully in the end you can somehow get the new startup sound to work! :)

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU:
AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz 8-Core
Motherboard:
MSI 970 GAMING
Memory:
Crucial 16 GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
Graphics Card(s):
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 4 GB
Sound Card:
Built-into MSI 970 GAMING Motherboard
Monitor(s) Displays:
LG Flatron E2241 21.5", Dell SE198WFP Digital 19", Dell SE198WFP Digital 19"
Screen Resolution:
Full HD 1920x1080 60 Hz, 1440x900 75 Hz, 1440x900 75 Hz
Hard Drives:
OCZ Trion 150 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (SSD)
PSU:
Logisys 480W ATX
Case:
Thermaltake Core V41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Cooling:
2 Cooler Master SickleFlow (Blue LED) 69.0 CFM, 1 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler
Keyboard:
DELL 468-7408 USB Keyboard
Mouse:
Tomtop USB Light-up Mouse
Internet Speed:
65 Mbps Download, 6 Mbps Upload
Browser:
Google Chrome
Antivirus:
Windows Defender
Other Info:
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer