PC to bookshelf surround speakers

I'm wondering if there's a good/easy/cheap way to get surround sound with standard bookshelf speakers on my PC without running a $7-800 surround sound amp.

For reference I have a Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 I'm currently running surround on with two cheap pairs of Logitech speakers.

#Muricaparrotgang

18 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I'm wondering if there's a good/easy/cheap way to get surround sound with standard bookshelf speakers on my PC without running a $7-800 surround sound amp.

For reference I have a Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 I'm currently running surround on with two cheap pairs of Logitech speakers.

Can you explane the problem, it is kind of self denying. You do say you want to "get surround sound" but also "I'm currently running surround"

I have Logitech PC speakers, I want to switch to better bookshelf/standard speakers without running an amp. I'd like to run them direct from my PC if possible.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

I have Logitech PC speakers, I want to switch to better bookshelf/standard speakers without running an amp. I'd like to run them direct from my PC if possible.

In that case, you'll need some powered monitors. Something like the JBL LSR305 would be pretty easy to setup in a surround setup, but that'll run you about $600 in speakers, not including all the cables and adapters that you'd need to be able to connect them directly to the back of your motherboard. 

I would suggest that you should grab a cheap receiver from craigslist, and then pick up some cheap speakers to go with it.

1 hour ago, AlfonsLM said:

You can try to youst plug them in direct with out an amp.

No, you can't. Not with passive speakers, anyway.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I couldn't rig up the 3.5 to passive wire leads?

I really just don't want or need the typically massive and pricey receiver.

#Muricaparrotgang

2 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I really just don't want or need the typically massive and pricey receiver.

Then stick with logitech or get a used receiver for $50/

18 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

No. Your motherboard outputs a couple hundred mW at MOST into a given load. Speakers require at least a few watts in order for any sound to come out, let alone for it to be at a listenable volume. Your motherboard is literally at least 1 magnitude off from being any to drive any passive speakers. 

So, you're either going to have to get powered speakers, in which case you won't need the receiver, but you're still going to have to deal with the power cables for each speaker, and all of the issues that come with running powered monitors in surround (like adapters, and such), or you're going to have to buy a receiver. At least, if you want any sort of "good" sound. Otherwise, you should do what SSL suggested, and stick with Logitech. There really isn't a way around this. Besides, it's not like a used receiver is all that expensive anyway. Just get one that doesn't have HDMI on it, since you won't be using it for video anyway.

16 minutes ago, SSL said:

This

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

21 minutes ago, SSL said:

Wish I could find an old 7.1 for $50. Biggest reason I'm trying to skip it. Even a used burnt out one with cookie crumbs in it is going to cost around $200. Best Buy has a Yamaha 5.1 receiver with speakers for $400, which is great, I'm just wanting my unnecessary 7.1.

#Muricaparrotgang

5 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Wish I could find an old 7.1 for $50. Biggest reason I'm trying to skip it. Even a used burnt out one with cookie crumbs in it is going to cost around $200. Best Buy has a Yamaha 5.1 receiver with speakers for $400, which is great, I'm just wanting my unnecessary 7.1.

Don't tell me, you live in australia or some far-flung backwater. Otherwise you should be able to buy a Yamaha 5.1 NEW for less than $200 if you try hard enough. If you look for used deals, it should be possible to hit a way cheaper price point.

But like I said, if price and space are problems, then don't bother. Just stick with the logitech.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Don't tell me, you live in australia or some far-flung backwater. Otherwise you should be able to buy a Yamaha 5.1 NEW for less than $200 if you try hard enough. If you look for used deals, it should be possible to hit a way cheaper price point.

But like I said, if price and space are problems, then don't bother. Just stick with the logitech.

I live in Arizona.... Even on Ebay a used 7.1 Onkyo goes for around $150. The Yamaha setup is $400 for 5 speakers, sub and a receiver. If you can find that for $200, buy it and I'll send you the money.

I'm sure I could work something out for a receiver, I just want something better than 2 mismatched (Therefore completely tonally different) pairs of Logitech speakers. I suppose alternatively I could look for a 7.1 PC setup, but haven't found anything that seemed good.

#Muricaparrotgang

12 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I live in Arizona.... Even on Ebay a used 7.1 Onkyo goes for around $150. The Yamaha setup is $400 for 5 speakers, sub and a receiver. If you can find that for $200, buy it and I'll send you the money.

I'm sure I could work something out for a receiver, I just want something better than 2 mismatched (Therefore completely tonally different) pairs of Logitech speakers. I suppose alternatively I could look for a 7.1 PC setup, but haven't found anything that seemed good.

You were talking about the receiver alone. Obviously, the speakers are going to cost several hundred bucks extra.

8 hours ago, SSL said:

You were talking about the receiver alone. Obviously, the speakers are going to cost several hundred bucks extra.

unless you look used. Not eBay, Craigslist.

I bought 2 surround receivers for $30 each. I got 4 bookshelf speakers for a total of $90.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

15 hours ago, SSL said:

Nope. I clearly said

15 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Best Buy has a Yamaha 5.1 receiver with speakers for $400.

But I get the misunderstanding :P My friend picked that one up and it's actually pretty darn decent as a total package.

6 hours ago, spwath said:

unless you look used. Not eBay, Craigslist.

I bought 2 surround receivers for $30 each. I got 4 bookshelf speakers for a total of $90.

Guess Tucson sucks for receivers then. Cheapest 7.1 I found is an old Marantz the guy wants $150 for. Guess I'll have to downgrade to 5.1.

#Muricaparrotgang