The New !nverse Case Project Thread

esplin2966

Hey everyone, today I want to bring you a project that is very dear to me: the !nverse small form factor case. I have actually posted a topic about this case previously, but it's been a while since I updated it, so I decided to create a new thread. I have continued to work on it in the past year, and have gotten many prototypes made. Hope you guys like it!

e4ae4Ko.jpg

My venture into the world of custom-designed cases began when I started building in the tiny Minibox M350 case. Being in a long-distance relationship, I needed something small and powerful so I can take my research with me on a 13-hour train ride every weekend. My pragmatic need for a portable PC soon developed into a full-on obsession as I find myself endlessly tweaking parts and designing mounts to cram as many components as I could into every last bit of space. It is from this obsession that "Inverse" was born.

Shaped by the ethos of fitting the most performance and versatility into the smallest amount of space, Inverse is a sub-10L computer case that can accommodate a full-length graphics card, a 240mm closed-loop liquid cooler, 3.5" and 2.5" hard drives, and a SFX power supply. Its versatile internal layout accommodates hard-core gamers, enthusiasts enamored with water cooling, media hoarders looking to create their own home theater, and anyone in between. Its smooth yet eye-catching exterior will blend into and enhance any desktop or home theater setup.

mHBxHvS.jpg
No exhaust holes on top for a smooth and unobtrusive look.

9E7oNLB.jpg
All intake holes on the bottom.

taVm1mr.jpg
Patterned exhaust holes on the front and side gives a unique flair.

V4kSTJV.jpg
Internal components are inverted to allow a smooth top panel.

8ZBXXT7.jpg
jElP50C.jpg
hO2SmLt.jpg
Monitors, speakers, and other desktop peripherals may be placed on top to created an integrated entertainment unit with minimal footprint.

unlnxP0.jpg
Available in black, white, and possibly other colors. Let me know what you like!

Specifications:
Dimension: 464mm x 308.5mm x 72mm (10.31L)

Material: 2mm aluminum for the exterior, and 1.5mm steel for the interior skeleton.

Inverse is designed with 4 interior configurations in mind, though other configurations are possible.

1) Gaming with air cooling

i) Accommodates Mini-ITX motherboard.

ii) Accommodates SFX or SFX-L power supply.

iii) Accommodates one graphics card up to 12" (305mm) in length, 5.91" (150mm) in width, and 1.81" (46mm) in thickness.

iv) Accommodate air coolers up to 55mm in height.

v) Accommodate up to 3 x 3.5" drives and 4 x 2.5" drives.

vi) Accommodate up to 2 120mm x 15mm case fans over the graphics card for added cooling.

2) Gaming with 120mm closed-loop liquid cooling

iii) Accommodates one graphics card up to 12" (305mm) in length, 5.91" (150mm) in width, and 1.81" (46mm) in thickness.

iv) Accommodate closed-loop liquid coolers with 120mm radiator and total thickness (including fan) of no more than 60mm.

v) Accommodate up to 1-3 x 3.5" drives and 2-4 x 2.5" drives, depending on the height of the water block.

vi) Accommodate up to 2 120mm x 15mm case fans over the graphics card for added cooling.

3) Gaming with 240mm closed-loop liquid cooling[/CENTER]

iv) Accommodate closed-loop liquid coolers with 240mm radiator and total thickness (including fan) of no more than 60mm.

v) Accommodate up to 0-1 x 3.5" drives and 2-4 x 2.5" drives, depending on the height of the water block.

4) Media Storage

v) Accommodate up to 6 x 3.5" drives and 8 x 2.5" drives.

No ODD supported for any configuration. This is to maintain the smooth look of the exterior, as well as make room to accommodate a 240mm aio cooler.

Project Status:
1) <Link Removed>

2) Case stand has been designed. May be included if indiegogo campaign goes well.

FAQ:
1)

Q: There are no exhaust holes on the top, only on the sides. Doesn't that go against "hot air rises"? How would that impact temperatures?

A: The effects of hot air rising are negligible compared to the forces produced by fans. Please read this article for reference.

2)

Q: You are drawing cold air in from the bottom only. How tall does the case feet have to be before heating becomes compromised?

A: I did a study on this, and it suggests that the case feet just has to be above 9 mm in height, which is pretty standard. I own the Silverstone ML07, and its feet measure 10 mm in height. Here is the link to the study I did.

I believe that we are nearly through the design process. As always, any feedback is welcome! It would be greatly helpful if anyone can point out any glaring flaws in the design, or make any suggestions.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by W-L
External Link

Oh, I saw this on SFF Forum. I don't have any money to spend on a case right now. :(

4 minutes ago, HeroXLazer said:

Oh, I saw this on SFF Forum. I don't have any money to spend on a case right now. :(

Hey man, no worries, your support is more than enough :)

1 minute ago, esplin2966 said:

Hey man, no worries, your support is more than enough :)

Yeah, you should also post this on OCN, HardForum, bit-tech, etc..

1 minute ago, HeroXLazer said:

Yeah, you should also post this on OCN, HardForum, bit-tech, etc..

I'm already on OCN and Hardforum, but didn't know about bit-tech. Thanks for the suggestions! Are there any other forums that you know?

22 hours ago, esplin2966 said:

I'm already on OCN and Hardforum, but didn't know about bit-tech. Thanks for the suggestions! Are there any other forums that you know?

Maybe r/hardwareswwap but not sure

Also, hardwarecanucks forum

also, anandtech

4 minutes ago, HeroXLazer said:

also, anandtech

5 minutes ago, HeroXLazer said:

Also, hardwarecanucks forum

5 minutes ago, HeroXLazer said:

Maybe r/hardwareswwap but not sure

Those could've all been one post :P Who are you on the SFF forums? I'm going under the same name xD @esplin2966 Good luck with the case and all, but consider the timing... the Sentry started it's campaign quite recently...

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

29 minutes ago, esplin2966 said:

Thats awesome! 

Fuck the broken text box amiright

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

52 minutes ago, HeroXLazer said:

also, anandtech

Thanks! I'll check these places out.

47 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Those could've all been one post :P Who are you on the SFF forums? I'm going under the same name xD @esplin2966 Good luck with the case and all, but consider the timing... the Sentry started it's campaign quite recently...

Thanks! Yeah I know the timing could've been better, but Chinese New Years interfering with our manufacturer's schedule kinda forced our hand.

42 minutes ago, YedZed said:
1 hour ago, esplin2966 said:

Thats awesome! 

Fuck the broken text box amiright

Sir you're besmirching my good name.

Hey everyone, people have been asking about the possibility of a case stand, so I just want to quickly update with some renders. Please let me know what you think!
oItSqWX.jpgkzgwXfi.jpgLaX1VFM.jpg6djZpLo.jpg

4 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

How much is it?

For the case or for the case stand? The most basic option of the !nverse case is $129. You can see other options in our indiegogo campaign. All case options are blasted with fine glass beads and then anodized for a macbook-like finish.

As for the case stand, we're still waiting to get a quote from our manufacturer. Once we do, I'll definitely update you.

1 hour ago, esplin2966 said:

For the case or for the case stand? The most basic option of the !nverse case is $129. You can see other options in our indiegogo campaign. All case options are blasted with fine glass beads and then anodized for a macbook-like finish.

As for the case stand, we're still waiting to get a quote from our manufacturer. Once we do, I'll definitely update you.

No just for the case.

Im doing a small build for my work but idk if i can drop $130 on a case

Breaking things 1 day at a time