Just Cut MDF Without a Mask

toastythomas

Im not sure what to do. I cut MDF last night and tonight for about 10 minutes each time and I don't know how bad it is. I have compression in my lungs which is probably placebo since im freaking out right now. Will I be okay? I was cutting inside my garage that was closed without a mask.

Remember to drink water!

3 hours ago, lkarej said:

and MDF is??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard

Basically wood pulp mixed with some sort of binder to create wooden boards by pressing it into shape.

Denser than plywood while maintaining the plywood's advantage of not moving, cheaper than hardwood, but due to it's nature working with it creates a lot of dust.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

nah it's perfectly fine to do.

Thing is that even if dust got into your lungs, you'd just cough it up within a few days. Your lungs would produce excess mucus to get rid of it.

3 minutes ago, Mug said:

nah it's perfectly fine to do.

Thing is that even if dust got into your lungs, you'd just cough it up within a few days. Your lungs would produce excess mucus to get rid of it.

The hacked up mixture may also serve as a good filler for covering screw heads!

You'll be fine.  
I've never worn a mask while cutting MDF and never had an issue.

Safety glasses are the only thing you really need to worry about wearing.  Maybe some hearing protection too if you are cutting indoors using a loud saw. 

12 hours ago, toastythomas said:

Im not sure what to do. I cut MDF last night and tonight for about 10 minutes each time and I don't know how bad it is. I have compression in my lungs which is probably placebo since im freaking out right now. Will I be okay? I was cutting inside my garage that was closed without a mask.

Doing it a couple times is totally fine. Not great for your long term health if you keep doing it though.

I recommend going to your local hardware store and buying a pack of those disposable (they're still reusable, you just throw them out once they get too worn) masks. They're stupidly cheap.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, Urishima said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard

Basically wood pulp mixed with some sort of binder to create wooden boards by pressing it into shape.

Denser than plywood while maintaining the plywood's advantage of not moving, cheaper than hardwood, but due to it's nature working with it creates a lot of dust.

Ah yeah OK. 

Used to just calling it fibreboard

Basically just glue n woodchips lmao

I make bad life decisions.