What can I fit in a cleaned out IBM 5150?

AcornEyes
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
1 minute ago, AcornEyes said:

I could just create a backplate out of a sheet of plastic (if I'm going the cheapo route) couldn't I?

Well whatever works for you. But otherwise, yes you can mount an ATX or mATX motherboard in an IBM 5150 case as is.

I'm interested in buying an IBM 5150 for the shell as a case for my computer. 

I have a mATX mobo, normal sized PSU, full size Strix 970, and a fan cpu cooler.

There's nothing else to note. 

Would they fit?

Could I potentially get a ATX mobo? 

I can't find a direct comparison of an AT formfactor that the IBM 5150 used (it may not even be AT), but this is the closest thing I could find (from http://www.10stripe.com/featured/form/legacy.php):

at.png

Considering this is a to-scale image, an ATX motherboard will not fit in an AT case, because of the shorter I/O panel length of the AT form factor.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I can't find a direct comparison of an AT formfactor that the IBM 5150 used (it may not even be AT), but this is the closest thing I could find (from http://www.10stripe.com/featured/form/legacy.php):

at.png

Considering this is a to-scale image, an ATX motherboard will not fit in an AT case, because of the shorter I/O panel length of the AT form factor.

Not an issue since I'm planning on using modern components rather than rebuilding it. So I'll definitely be doing some arts and crafts onto the case.

Looks to me like it has a shitton of space to spare which is great.

Not an issue since I'm planning on using modern components rather than rebuilding it. So I'll definitely be doing some arts and crafts onto the case.

Looks to me like it has a shitton of space to spare which is great.

You mean using just the trim and not the actual case itself?

Also as reference, this is the back:

ibm-5150-back.jpg

So if you were planning on using the entire case, you're going to have to do a lot of modding back there.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

ibm-5150-back.jpg

So if you were planning on using the entire case, you're going to have to do a lot of modding back there.

I could just create a backplate out of a sheet of plastic (if I'm going the cheapo route) couldn't I?

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

ibm-5150-back.jpg

Could always fab a new back to solve that issue.

Well whatever works for you. But otherwise, yes you can mount an ATX or mATX motherboard in an IBM 5150 case as is.

• 2 weeks later...