Some suggestions for 10Gb hardware testing

Hi

I just watched the a review of a desktop 10Gb switch and have a few suggestions. First off it would be nice to see how the switch handled mixed loads. For instance game streaming from steam while transferring a large file, not necessarily to the same PC. We already know that the 10Gb standard has plenty of throughput for such a scenario, but I'm wondering how it will impact latency. From what I have read the 10Gb standard comes with a certain latency overhead on copper due to the hardware itself so the real issue is will this overhead, mixed with the overhead of two 10Gb switches (core + living room), cause a problem for game streaming?

PS: What do you guys think. Would this be something you are interested in as well?

How many pictures of Gabe are on Google at 4k?....

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

I'd suggest waiting until 1gbps / 2.5gbps / 5 gbps / 10 gbps are available on the market, the cards with the new 802.3bz standard.

Gigabyte will launch a card based on the Aquantia chipset soon, supposedly at under 100$ for a card: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11024/gigabyte-exhibits-an-aquantia-aqc107-based-10g-ethernet-pcie-card

2017-01-04%2009.52.19_678x452.jpg

It would be interesting to evaluate then how the card works at 1gbps and 2.5gbps , compared to 5gbps and 10gbps ... the 2.5gbps should work on same principles as 1gbps (same encoding and everything), 5gbps is more like 10 gbps... so the card may behave differently (latency wise) depending on configured speed.

Even streaming to like twitch and have another host copying file won't have any trouble, as long you have decent router/switch. 

Magical Pineapples

Just shell out maybe $10K to $15K for some Spirent test gear and licenses and run all the load you want to test the impact :D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 18.1.2017 at 11:10 AM, MrUnknownEMC said:

Even streaming to like twitch and have another host copying file won't have any trouble, as long you have decent router/switch. 

That's a very different use case. I was talking about streaming my game and playing on a remote computer while copying files from the same source. Basically In-Home Streaming (with 2K/4K high quality) mixed with file transfer. Not necessarily between a single host and client, although the 10Gb port would allow it. The thing is right now doing anything while my PC is copying files is rather pointless as even a regular HDD can come very close to saturating a 1Gb link. The contribution from other appliances connected to the living-room switch is fairly negligible even with a 1Gb uplink between the core switch and the one in the living room.

On 18.1.2017 at 10:49 AM, mariushm said:

I'd suggest waiting until 1gbps / 2.5gbps / 5 gbps / 10 gbps are available on the market, the cards with the new 802.3bz standard.

Gigabyte will launch a card based on the Aquantia chipset soon, supposedly at under 100$ for a card: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11024/gigabyte-exhibits-an-aquantia-aqc107-based-10g-ethernet-pcie-card

2017-01-04%2009.52.19_678x452.jpg

It would be interesting to evaluate then how the card works at 1gbps and 2.5gbps , compared to 5gbps and 10gbps ... the 2.5gbps should work on same principles as 1gbps (same encoding and everything), 5gbps is more like 10 gbps... so the card may behave differently (latency wise) depending on configured speed.

Yeah. I am planning on upgrading to the 2.5/5Gb standard when it arrives. After all I don't need 10Gb I just find 1Gb to me a bit restraining in some scenarios. I just felt like the one scenario Linus tested, point-to-point 10Gb file transfer, is really irrelevant and not at all what this switch is designed for. Obviously the 10Gb are meant to be uplink ports essentially giving you an option when a single 1Gb or several connections don't really solve your uplink issues. The inclusion of two ports is probably just a result of convenience or to allow a single high speed connection to a router or another high demand appliance. I know my suggested use case is sort of missing the mark as well, but i recon it's a better fit than the one Linus presented.