10 PC's 2 power sockets

DotComBubblegum

HI guys,

So I'm having a LAN party at my place 10ppl are bringing their PC's - 5 towers and 5 laptops. Towers have 600 to 1000 W PSU's and laptops are alienware, ROG, MSI etc... gaming laptops. Would my Two separate wall sockets( one on each side of the room)  handle these ? + 5 monitors ofc.

THX

Umm IIRC that would only be around ~3000-3500 watts of power in total so I'd say possibly not... unless I'm wrong abut the wattage.

Now that's a crowd ;) , hum seems a bit of an overload specially since ya all gonna be pushing ur PSUs at the same time. Can't say it's safe mate

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

5 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Now that's a crowd ;) , hum seems a bit of an overload specially since ya all gonna be pushing ur PSUs at the same time. Can't it's safe mate

So is it safe or I can't ?

It is likely that the that the 2 outlets are on the same Circut Breaker so what what ever size in on the breaker what it can handle but it should be fine 

10 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Umm IIRC that would only be around ~3000-3500 watts of power in total so I'd say possibly not... unless I'm wrong abut the wattage.

1000watt PSU's but maybe hes running pentiums lol

@DotComBubblegum OP Do not use only two outlets. Spread the load across different walls and maybe even consider running an extention from a different room (that way its on a different circuit too)

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 minute ago, metrocsgo said:

Not sure if its *Safe* but i'm pretty sure i'd work

This.

If HSE were around they'd have a heart attack, but you'll probably be fine.

It's 8KW at most, which is 4KW from each socket.

That's probably not even enough to trip the breaker.

You're in Holland, so your sockets should be capable of 230v and about 12A, or about 2500 watts. I'm talking mechanical and physical, as in your socket won't burn and the cables in the wall are thick enough to carry this much electricity to that socket.

The cables in the wall go to the mains panel where you probably have a 16A fuse, which means that circuit can probably deliver up to 230v and 16A or about 3700 watts.

The two sockets may be on the same circuit, meaning they both are connected to that 16 A circuit, so while each socket may do 2500w both together won't do more than 3700 watts. Or, they may be on separate circuits which means each socket will do 2500 watts no problems at all.

Anyway, doesn't matter what rating the power supply, it matters how much power the system uses.. if it's systems with one single video card it's unlikely they'll use more than 300 watts when gaming. Regular laptops use 65-120 watts, some gaming laptops may use a bit more (check the label on the power adapter) , monitors use about 20-50 watts depending on brightness...

I would consider very safe to pull up to about 1200-1500 watts from ONE socket , so you could use a power strip , splitter (whatever the name is in your country) to plug 3-4 computers and their monitors into one socket and a few in another socket.

If you have a power socket near the bathroom (in my country there's usually one outside the bathroom door, for safety we don't have sockets inside bathrooms), that socket should be on separate circuit to your room sockets so if you a power strip with a longer cable, you should definitely use that socket.

3 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

the worse that will happen is it will throw the breaker and you will have to go to the pannel and flip it back 

easy for someone who has done it before. 

completely daunting for a first timer - would not recommend

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Just now, DotComBubblegum said:

So is it safe or I can't ?

No, i don't want be a joy killer but than i wouldn't risk it, but than it depends on the total AC Power delivered to ur house and such and if it converts to enough DC power. But i guess that woul take a lot of research wouldn't it.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

1 minute ago, mok said:

1000watt PSU's but maybe hes running pentiums lol

@DotComBubblegum OP Do not use only two outlets. Spread the load across different walls and maybe even consider running an extention from a different room (that way its on a different circuit too

for 5 towers specs are x2 I7 6700k x1 6600k  + 2 non k I5's  GPU's are 970 , 980ti, x2 1070 , and AMD R7 something

2 minutes ago, mok said:

easy for someone who has done it before. 

completely daunting for a first timer - would not recommend

Whats the worse that could happen its not like messing in a Power panel could kill you =) 

2 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

No, i don't want be a joy killer but than i wouldn't risk it, but than it depends on the total AC Power delivered to ur house and such and if it converts to enough DC power. But i guess that woul take a lot of research wouldn't it.

Well I will do it anyway, i just have a fire extinguisher close by. Just wanted to know what ya guys think :P .

Those systems use around 250-300 watts each ( the video cards use the most power, for example 1070 uses about 150 watts, 980ti maybe a bit more because it's older gen... don't know off the top of my head) 

Outside video card power, the rest of the systems won't use more than 100-150 watts, if they're normal system with just a couple of hard drives and not storage monsters with 10 drives.

3 minutes ago, DotComBubblegum said:

Well I will do it anyway, i just have a fire extinguisher close by. Just wanted to know what ya guys think :P .

As Jezza said "what could possibly go wrong" good luck mate ;)

Use extension cords hooked up to outlets on different circuits, and try to limit each circuit to 4 computers just to be on the safe side.

Have a sweet LAN party bro.

When in doubt, re-format.

Just now, pwn_intended said:

Use extension cords hooked up to outlets on different circuits, and try to limit each circuit to 4 computers just to be on the safe side.

Have a sweet LAN party bro.

Will do, thanks bro