Can coil whine go away on its own?

Omie

Every time I start up a game and it hits around 144fps (refresh rate of my monitor), my Strix 1080 O8G makes a hissing sound which I'm 99.9% sure is coil whine. It gets pretty annoying because I can hear it over my fans. Once I'm playing the game for a good 10 minutes or so, either the sound dies down or it's just my ears getting used to it.

Can coil whine go away over time if I start to break the card in? I just built my pc yesterday.

My 1060 had cool whine. It only showed after a few weeks. Run a stress test for really long and it should help, not sure why but it helped with me. It could also be PSU

That's an F in the profile pic

It might. I have some SSDs that still have coil whine after many months along with a few switches that have some bad coil whine since I got them a year or two ago, but I have had some electronics in the past that had it and the coil while stopped on its own.

-KuJoe

What games are those? And yes sometimes the inductors just need to get used.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

57 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

What games are those? And yes sometimes the inductors just need to get used.

Well out of the few I've tested, Marvel Heroes 2016, Star Wars Battlefront, Doom (mostly in menus). 

1 hour ago, Froody129 said:

My 1060 had cool whine. It only showed after a few weeks. Run a stress test for really long and it should help, not sure why but it helped with me. It could also be PSU

Would Unigine Heaven be a good stress tester for my GPU?

And be I doubt it's my PSU. It's a pretty good quality one, EVGA 850W G2 and I never hear any noise coming from it.

4 hours ago, Omie said:

Well out of the few I've tested, Marvel Heroes 2016, Star Wars Battlefront, Doom (mostly in menus). 

Would Unigine Heaven be a good stress tester for my GPU?

And be I doubt it's my PSU. It's a pretty good quality one, EVGA 850W G2 and I never hear any noise coming from it.

Heaven is what I used to do it. 

Even though the GPU and the PSU are both perfectly fine, sometimes them combined cause whine, can't tell you exactly why though. 

I didnt let my card run hot, but I let it run at full pelt for many hours.

That's an F in the profile pic

6 hours ago, Omie said:

Thats the answer its because of the extremely high FPS in menus. Its really just the programs. Something like voerwatch locks the menus to 60 to avoid that, even if in game I can get like 120

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Set Vsync ON in ur nvidia control panel, or adaptive...

This way, it will limit your frames in games Menu, or desktop, etc...

Coilwhine happens often over 400 FPS, which is in games menu etc... 

This solution worked for many. But you have to use Vsync :P