Reduce GPU usage while folding?

Go to solution Solved by helping,

You can probably have folding allocated to only one core if you want to fold and do work at the same time.

IIRC there is currently no way to throttle GPU folding, you can instead creative profiles in Afterburner or Precision or whatever you use and have an undervolted and downclocked profile.

So I just started folding yesterday. I have a powerful machine and I wanted to use it for something more then just schoolwork, gaming, and the internet. Currently I have a GTX 690 and a 3930k.

When my PC goes idle and my GPU starts folding it is running at about 99% usage, that puts the cores at 88C and 91C and the fan at about 80%. I'm fine with the temps and I'm fine with the high fan speed when I'm not at home, but it's way to loud when I'm trying to sleep. I put the CPU usage in the config down to 50%, so when I put it on "light" the CPU is running about 45-55% and the fans are nice and quiet. The problem is at "light", when my system goes idle, my GPU goes up to 99% usage again. 

So is there any way to put my GPU usage at about 50% when it's in "light" folding power? That way I could have CPU and GPU folding at about 50% power while sleeping without it causing me to wake up/prevent me from falling asleep. And then I could put it to 100% while I'm at school or out doing something. 

Also can I use the GPU to fold while I'm using the PC without setting the Folding Power to full? I would like to try and fold while I'm doing my 3ds Max work. 3ds Max does not use close to 100% GPU power while I'm working with it, so I would like to utilize my GPU better when I'm using my PC.

If this is explained somewhere please just send me in the right direction. I tried Google, but I didn't really find the answers I was looking for.

Thanks for any help.

-Tore

You can probably have folding allocated to only one core if you want to fold and do work at the same time.

IIRC there is currently no way to throttle GPU folding, you can instead creative profiles in Afterburner or Precision or whatever you use and have an undervolted and downclocked profile.

Error: 410

Didn't even consider that. Thank you for the tips, i'll try and see if I can get it to work.

-Tore

[snip]

Do you know if they intend to add GPU throttling in a future version of the client?

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Do you know if they intend to add GPU throttling in a future version of the client?

try underclocking?

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

try underclocking?

Sorry, I don't think I worded that properly. I mean only use 50% of the GPU like you can with the CPU.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Sorry, I don't think I worded that properly. I mean only use 50% of the GPU like you can with the CPU.

as of right now you cant, but if you are woried about noise from your fan, underclocking can help with temps.

as of right now you cant, but if you are woried about noise from your fan, underclocking can help with temps.

I'm not worried about noise or temps, I was just wondering if there was news about the client being updated to only use a certain percentage of the GPU.

Spoiler

@Razarza

sorry, for some reason i thought you were the OP.  i dont see them doing it, but would be nice.

@Dovin

see above posts

maybe only use 1 gpu

[snip]

I really do hope they implement it. Sometimes I just want to play a game that doesn't need much GPU power like Civ 5 and not take a performance hit because I'm folding at the same time.

Spoiler

It is one of the most requested features...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99