Wireless DC motor control

Aye guys,

i am working on a mechanism that turns switches on as you sit on your couch, now the way this works is by the use of IR transmitters and receivers to turn DC motors attached to your switch plate and as you sit on the couch it closes the switch (as you stand it opens switches respectively).

the problem i am encountering is the part where the button on the transmitter is pushed by the sitting on the couch.

would the button even be pressed properly (i highly doubt it), and would it break (most probably) so then how do i position it or place some mechanisms to make it a much more smoother press.

this is by the way a design and technology project for the IGCSEs and if you have any way of helping out beyond the question in subject than feel free to let me know.

thanks in advance to anyone who even tries to help out with my problem here.

zak1016   

its very simple with modifications made that are unecessary in the subject, but in short this video tells the tale of its working.

ask for any explanations. 

Use a pressure sensing pad like this. There are also cheaper versions on ebay. If you want to keep using discrete or proprietary logic, you will need to use a Wheatstone bridge and a comparator circuit to activate the transmitter. I would really recommend you to use an ATtiny or another similar small micro for the transmitter. If you need some technical advice I can gladly help, I have a fair bit of experience with electronics and coding.

Cheers!

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

PS, what is IGCSEs? :P

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

21 hours ago, dany_boy said:

PS, what is IGCSEs? :P

thanx for all the help bro and i will inform if in need any further help.

also IGCSE is an examination pattern and is a kind of cambridge international examination, its widely practiced

21 hours ago, dany_boy said:

Use a pressure sensing pad like this. There are also cheaper versions on ebay. If you want to keep using discrete or proprietary logic, you will need to use a Wheatstone bridge and a comparator circuit to activate the transmitter. I would really recommend you to use an ATtiny or another similar small micro for the transmitter. If you need some technical advice I can gladly help, I have a fair bit of experience with electronics and coding.

Cheers!

Ok if i can ask i shall then.

Before i continue keep in mind that i am inexperienced in electronics and am not too good at this area of design and technology.

I came to learn that this receiver circuit would be active by any IR transmission, one of a TV remote or an RC toy car remote, but what if i want only one remote or any one transmitter whose signals this receiver will receive, is that possible?  

12 hours ago, zak1016 said:

Ok if i can ask i shall then.

Before i continue keep in mind that i am inexperienced in electronics and am not too good at this area of design and technology.

I came to learn that this receiver circuit would be active by any IR transmission, one of a TV remote or an RC toy car remote, but what if i want only one remote or any one transmitter whose signals this receiver will receive, is that possible?  

Yes it is possible, but you need to get into micros to do that properly. Arduino is the obvious simple solution, it has a IR library which will allow you to connect an IR receiver and decode the specific protocols that most transmitters use. Otherwise, I am thinking you could do it ghetto style by using something like the IR set form an LED Strip. Say something like THIS. You would still need to adapt some basic motor driver, but overall cheaper, and premade.

PS. coding with an arduino is hilariously easy, so if you want the uttermost flexibility go that route.

Cheers!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

On 1/16/2017 at 8:15 PM, dany_boy said:

Cheers!

There is another minor issue and due to my inexperience in the practical field of electronics i seek thee.

In a scotch yoke mechanism how is it that i can calculate the distance and speed at which the actuators/pistons move at.

Will the speed of the linear motion of the actuators be the same linear velocity as that of the rotating disc?

Screenshot (91).png

10 hours ago, zak1016 said:

There is another minor issue and due to my inexperience in the practical field of electronics i seek thee.

In a scotch yoke mechanism how is it that i can calculate the distance and speed at which the actuators/pistons move at.

Will the speed of the linear motion of the actuators be the same linear velocity as that of the rotating disc?

Screenshot (91).png

TBH I know a lot more about electronics than about mechanics, but that mechanism will measure the x-component of circular motion. 

In a nutshell the position can be calculated with the cosine function x(t)=cos(t) and the velocity can be calculated with the derivative v(t)=-sin(t)

Cheers!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

On 1/22/2017 at 8:47 PM, dany_boy said:

TBH I know a lot more about electronics than about mechanics, but that mechanism will measure the x-component of circular motion. 

In a nutshell the position can be calculated with the cosine function x(t)=cos(t) and the velocity can be calculated with the derivative v(t)=-sin(t)

Cheers!

Thanks bro.

On 1/16/2017 at 8:15 PM, dany_boy said:

Cheers!

One more thing you could do for me please!, in this transmitter circuit there is a 1k ohms resistor connected with a 20k ohms resistor in potential divider to give a frequency of 38 KHz, i want to use this circuit but modify it so that it works when the light is below a certain point.

How may i do that? 

IRT.gif