Linus Tech Tips App (Unofficial)

How official/unofficial is the android app?

I've seen things man, where you can just "port" the existing website to make a HTML/Web Based app. But, reasons. And things. Not so many reasons that things can't be done.

I want an official LTT-App. I'm not kidding. I want push-notifications for new videos, colour-coded by category (LTT, TQ, AFAP). I want push notifications for forum replies rather than a website that triggers an email that sends me a notification (at the next sync interval) just to follow the link-trail. By the time I find the response to a post I'd already forgotten about anyway, I've traversed the entire interwebs.

An app would make me happy. And... it's like my birthday this year and stuff.

<3

I think this has been discussed in other threads a few weeks ago, they have no interest with developing a mobile app for the forums.

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

2 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

I think this has been discussed in other threads a few weeks ago, they have no interest with developing a mobile app for the forums.

Interest? What is interest, really?

2 minutes ago, Jukebox461 said:

Not sure what you mean. To clarify they said they have no intention of either making it themselves, or paying somebody else to do it because of the maintenance and demand for updates that generally come with apps . I'll bring up the thread if I can find it. 

On 9/6/2016 at 6:59 AM, colonel_mortis said:

LMG makes money, but the forum certainly doesn't. Making an app that is actually worth having is very expensive, and there would be no return on that investment.

/4/2016 at 0:42 PM, colonel_mortis said:

An app is an unreasonable amount of work to implement, and aside from push notifications it would bring very little benefit. In the future, following a lot of work (though still a lot less than a full app), push notifications may be supported here without an app (it is now supported by Chrome and Firefox), but it's not something that you can expect to see soon.

18 minutes ago, Jukebox461 said:

They currently don't see the point in making a mobile app because they already have a responsive website which works pretty well on mobile. Making the mobile app would just require unnecessary work with respect to the benefits it would yield.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

25 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Not sure what you mean. To clarify they said they have no intention of either making it themselves, or paying somebody else to do it because of the maintenance and demand for updates that generally come with apps . I'll bring up the thread if I can find it. 

That's why I mentioned the HTML porting :)

21 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Cheers. That's a bit odd. Linus taught me to appreciate the best of the best. It's part and parcel. The guy has his own Noctua's!!!!!! Ok, this is the beginning of a meltdown.... a paradox is forming that can only be righted with a full app.

As others have said, it wouldn't be financially viable to make an app. Time and money aren't infinate unfortunately.

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

2 minutes ago, imPixelTV said:

As others have said, it wouldn't be financially viable to make an app. Time and money aren't infinate unfortunately.

He's never let that stop him before. The man knows what he wants, and he'll get it. He just doesn't know this is something he wants yet. Ergo the forum posts.

20 minutes ago, Jukebox461 said:

That's why I mentioned the HTML porting :)

Isn't that same thing with having shortcut from homescreen to forums?

Also, check out latest on this subject at:

https://linustechtips.com/main/blogs/entry/1203-lttforum-app/

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Sort-of. Except you don't need to rely on the bulkiness and unnecessary functionality of a particular web browser. Shortcuts don't show icon-notifications and whatnot either. Actually, it's not really anything like it lol. It relies on the existing structure of page-to-page via HyperLink and HyperTextMarkupLanguage(s), but sort of put into an .apk "capsule" so it's handled a lot cleaner by the android device. The "hosting" of the data is exactly the same. I'm just covering many different levels of technical involvement here because I don't fully understand the question and I don't know what level of ninja you are.

16 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I see the link there, it doesn't have to be forums-only? The hamburger menu could easily give section shortcuts to their own embedded-youtube-video library, the forums, a 2-3 page newspaper (updated every few days)... things of this nature. The ideas write themselves. I'm sure it's a big smoke-grenade while they're working on something just as awesome, and then BAM! Out of nowhere! ......maybe.

It's my birthday this year.

10 minutes ago, Jukebox461 said:

I see the link there, it doesn't have to be forums-only? The hamburger menu could easily give section shortcuts to their own embedded-youtube-video library, the forums, a 2-3 page newspaper (updated every few days)... things of this nature. The ideas write themselves. I'm sure it's a big smoke-grenade while they're working on something just as awesome, and then BAM! Out of nowhere! ......maybe.

It's my birthday this year.

If you search a bit in forums, there are couple users planning on something unofficial. @AluminiumTech already has something sort of unofficial going on. But forum integration isn't really a thing since IPB hasn't public API.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

If you search a bit in forums, there are couple users planning on something unofficial. @AluminiumTech already has something sort of unofficial going on. But forum integration isn't really a thing since IPB hasn't public API.

Cheers.

47 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Shhhhh. Calm down.

All I can say is that there may or may not be a project to add forum integration into the existing app :D.

Wish I could say more.... #LFT_S  Coming Soon.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

40 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Shhhhh. Calm down.

All I can say is that there may or may not be a project to add forum integration into the existing app :D.

Wish I could say more.... #LFT_S  Coming Soon.

You Sir, can have one of my internets.