LG ULTRAWIDE 21:9 1440p&1080p monitors overclocking?

Nate.thesearemygames

Wazzup people i have a few questions regarding LG's ultra wide monitors... I have the 25inch reason want to do 3xsetup in limited space... LG 25um57 pm version its native res is 2560x1080p@ 75hz and well ive noticed that i can well "OC" the display resolution through nvidia's custom resolution setting and well i can set a res of up to 5120x2160p 21:9@75hz 5k(ultrawide)res right? down sides are that text scaling is tiny but u can change that ... but when i run games etc i can set that 5k resolution in game @75hz and i get the same performance and visuals as i would get from a native 5k ultrawide monitor..? but is it genuine 5k and say benchmark scores in that 5k are they viable? but as far as ive noticed pretty much all LG screens allow for this kind of  "overclocking"... but i can also set resolutions like 3440x1440p@75hz 21:9   or    3840x2160@75hz16:9 etc etc but i cant really go higher than 5k as then desktop goes all out of proportion.

So my ultimate question is am a playing games @ 5k? 

Screenshot (9).png

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but from what I could figure out, your asking if you are actually running games in 5k. You are but you are still seeing it in 1080p. your GPU is sending a 5k image to your monitor but your monitor is only displaying a 1080p image, just to clear it up. So you aren't really OC it.

4 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but from what I could figure out, your asking if you are actually running games in 5k. You are but you are still seeing it in 1080p. your GPU is sending a 5k image to your monitor but your monitor is only displaying a 1080p image, just to clear it up. So you aren't really OC it.

Yeah you pretty much cleared that up for me. so for instance if i run unigine valley benchmark  at 5k then the score i get will be a valid 5k score? for say posting up in forums...

29 minutes ago, Nate.thesearemygames said:

Yeah you pretty much cleared that up for me. so for instance if i run unigine valley benchmark  at 5k then the score i get will be a valid 5k score? for say posting up in forums...

Yeah, that should do the trick. You should make sure that you are running in 5k (geforce control panel has lied to me in the past) by double-checking Windows display settings. I'm not sure about Unigine but in some games/programs.

I would not recommend keeping your monitor resolution at 5k when you aren't benchmarking and such because 1. it will obviously kill your performance and 2. 5k is not a direct scale from 1080p so you will loose some pixels and details when you downscale from 5k to 1080.