Time for a new Graphics card...Thoughts?

kofman13

hi all.

My Visiontek 290x 4GB is biting the dust, overheating in one minute under load, warranty won't cover it. So i am looking to upgrade in the next month or so perhaps. I game on a ultrawide 2560 x 1080 LG freeesync monitor. (I really couldnt care less about free sync when i compared at home with v sync hence the following options).

I have had my eye on the ASUS GTX 1060 Strix 6GB recently as a possible option because of really impressive benchmarks vs other nvidia cards in same bracket and the rx480, and also it looks awesome and I am super impressed with the temperatures under load. (i am now super focused on cool temps because my last card's demise was that it was 90-92c under load for 2 years), i am reading that it's the coolest 1060? and lastly because it fits my budget.

But then I also heard good things about the EVGA 1060 6GB FTW, which is slightly cheaper but around the same price area ($280-300 at microcenter). But im worried that cooling might not be as good as the Strix since the FTW has two fans vs 3 in the Strix.

I have a lot of asus products like their network adapters, router, etc and always had great experience with the products. but i heard about some bad customer service stories with Asus.

So, Strix 1060 or 1060 FTW? or are there other better cards in that price range? Max. $300-$320ish.

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

2 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

hi all.

My Visiontek 290x 4GB is biting the dust, overheating in one minute under load, warranty won't cover it. So i am looking to upgrade in the next month or so perhaps. I game on a ultrawide 2560 x 1080 LG freeesync monitor. (I really couldnt care less about free sync when i compared at home with v sync hence the following options).

I have had my eye on the ASUS GTX 1060 Strix 6GB recently as a possible option because of really impressive benchmarks vs other nvidia cards in same bracket and the rx480, and also it looks awesome and I am super impressed with the temperatures under load. (i am now super focused on cool temps because my last card's demise was that it was 90-92c under load for 2 years), i am reading that it's the coolest 1060? and lastly because it fits my budget.

But then I also heard good things about the EVGA 1060 6GB FTW, which is slightly cheaper but around the same price area ($280-300 at microcenter). But im worried that cooling might not be as good as the Strix since the FTW has two fans vs 3 in the Strix.

I have a lot of asus products like their network adapters, router, etc and always had great experience with the products. but i heard about some bad customer service stories with Asus.

So, Strix 1060 or 1060 FTW? or are there other better cards in that price range? Max. $300-$320ish.

Where do you live that the 1060 costs $300? Go 480.

4 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

hi all.

Also, have you dusted the card out or anything? Reapplied thermal paste, check the fan curve?

Been using Asus motherboard for a good while, never a problem.  Found their support staff when I've had questions regarding my sound drivers from them to be very fast to reply and not just copy+pasting responses.

My pick of the two would be the 480, to be honest also.  But I'm a bit of an AMD lover of GPU's.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

Also, have you dusted the card out or anything? Reapplied thermal paste, check the fan curve?

I live in the US, On amazon the 1060 STRIX is $319, like $290 at microcenter, yeah its the more expensive than some other 1060s but good performance and reviews.

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

4 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Where do you live that the 1060 costs $300? Go 480.

Strix 480 8 gb? i watched some videos comparing and the 1060 strix is much cooler and has better fps. in most tests. I am not trying to save money i already put aside like $340 for a new card anyway =/.

1 minute ago, kofman13 said:

I live in the US, On amazon the 1060 STRIX is $319, like $290 at microcenter, yeah its the more expensive than some other 1060s but good performance and reviews.

3gb 1060 or 6gb 1060?

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

2 minutes ago, Kierax said:

Been using Asus motherboard for a good while, never a problem.  Found their support staff when I've had questions regarding my sound drivers from them to be very fast to reply and not just copy+pasting responses.

My pick of the two would be the 480, to be honest also.  But I'm a bit of an AMD lover of GPU's.

because of price or performance? I read/watched some reviews and comparisons today comparing the strix 480 8 gb and the strix 1060 6gb, and the 1060 was cooler temps under load and better fps everywhere. 

Strix 480 8 gb? i watched some videos comparing and the 1060 strix is much cooler and has better fps. in most tests. I am not trying to save money i already put aside like $340 for a new card anyway =/.

xfx is a good way to go for the rx 480

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

Bullshit. If you're spending $300 for a 1060, then just get a 1070 at that point. And that's easily a good more $80 than pretty much all the others. Either way, you're probably still better off getting a 480

Just now, kofman13 said:

Not a strix, get a 480 from MSI or XFX or someone else. Asus isn't that great for AMD.

1 minute ago, Joseph Hartness said:

3gb 1060 or 6gb 1060?

I am looking at the asus strix 1060 6 GB

I am looking at the asus strix 1060 6 GB

How much does the xfx 480 cost in your country?

PCPartPicker

Bullshit. If you're spending $300 for a 1060, then just get a 1070 at that point. And that's easily a good more $80 than pretty much all the others. Either way, you're probably still better off getting a 480

Not a strix, get a 480 from MSI or XFX or someone else. Asus isn't that great for AMD.

Which brand of 1070 would you get thats kind of close to my budget?  but do i need a 1070 if im only doing 1080p?

Just now, kofman13 said:

because of price or performance? I read/watched some reviews and comparisons today comparing the strix 480 8 gb and the strix 1060 6gb, and the 1060 was cooler temps under load and better fps everywhere. 

Because A: You have a freesync monitor. B: They're neck and neck now, and have been with new drivers. C: Stop comparing only the strix, it might be the best 1060 one, but that's an extra $80, making it a stupid choice for a 1060. It is far from the best 480 card.

1 minute ago, Joseph Hartness said:

How much does the xfx 480 cost in your country?

$269 for 480 8 gb XFX

Just now, kofman13 said:

Which brand of 1070 would you get thats kind of close to my budget?  but do i need a 1070 if im only doing 1080p?

no, but you shouldn't be spending $300 on a 1060 for 1080p either. Either get a cheaper 1060, or get a 480.

If you use freesync the performance difference won't really matter. I got a GTX 1060 6GB myself, but personally if i were you i'd go with the RX 480. 

1 minute ago, MrAwesomepants said:

If you use freesync the performance difference won't really matter. I got a GTX 1060 6GB myself, but personally if i were you i'd go with the RX 480. 

There's not even really one anymore, especially with the new drivers.

$269 for 480 8 gb XFX

Go for the xfx rx 480 but get this one the black edition http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814150773

PCPartPicker

I'd still pair a freesync monitor with AMD card over Nvidia. And no, definitely don't waste money on gtx 1070 for 1080p gaming. RX480 would be a solid choice and good value/performance.

4 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

$269 for 480 8 gb XFX

But again, have you tried dusting out your 290 or reapplying the thermal paste? Or double checked the fan curve? Could be that it just needs a small clean out.

if anyone here has a 480 8 gb, what brand and what temperatures do you get under load?

But again, have you tried dusting out your 290 or reapplying the thermal paste? Or double checked the fan curve? Could be that it just needs a small clean out.

My system was a pre built system and I still have the 3 year warranty so i left it at microcenter for them to check it and hopefully replace with equivalent but current gen card. but i they are kind insinuating they might not cover it because it works basically (just not under heavy load). if they don't want to do anything I will open it up and re apply thermals. I dust and vaccum my desktop every 1-2 weeks, and i have good airflow so its def something with thermal paste or something else inside the card. it was 88-90 c on full load since day one i got it.

31 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

Get it on Newegg