6700 vs 6700k vs 7700 vs 7700k

JTB7

I am building a second computer, for just normal web browsing and light games.  I am going to take the i5 6500 in my current gaming rig and put it in that and replace it with an I7.  I would like to get the most for my money out of these 4.  The rig it would go in would have 8gb of ram(soon to be 16) and a gtx 1070.  I would be streaming, light video editing, and recording.  I would also try light overclocking, so I would probably get a 212 evo with it.

Don't get a "k" unless you plan on overclocking. THere is a 5-10% improvement from the 6700k to the 7700k, so get the 7700k, unless you feel the 5-10% isn't worth the extra cost. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

First, don't bother with a K cpu, unless you have a Z motherboard.

Then, the difference between the 6700 (K) and 7700(K) is that the 7th gen is clocked slightly higher and will likely overclock a little bit better. If the price difference is minimal (like $25 or less) go for the newer one. Otherwise, the 6700 (K) would be a better bet.

When in doubt, re-format.

You don't want to invest in an older generation. And since you plan on overclocking, go for the 7700k since the 7700 doesn't have an unlocked multiplier. Also, you should go for the Hyper 212 X instead of the EVO since it offers slightly better cooling at roughly the same price (depending on where you live).

EDIT: If you want to keep your motherboard and it's H170 or B150, don't go for the k version since overclocking is limited to Z-series chipsets. You still should be able to put a Kaby Lake CPU into a Skylake motherboard with a BIOS update.

WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

If you want to overclock, it'll need to be the 6700K or 7700K, and either a Z170 or Z270 motherboard. The 6700 can be overclocked on certain motherboards with certain BIOS versions installed and certain sacrifices made, but it's probably not a process for someone who only wants to "try light overclocking." I don't know if that's possible with the 7700… I imagine Intel probably wanted to avoid letting that happen again.

How much more is the Kaby Lake CPU where you would be buying? If it's about the same, then naturally go with the 7700/7700K.

Kaby Lake and Z270 offer a little more connectivity than Skylake (24 chipset PCIe lanes to Z170's 20) and support for Intel Optane technology. In terms of performance the two are basically identical, though the 7700K comes clocked a little higher and anecdotally seems to overclock a little better.

7 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

First, don't bother with a K cpu, unless you have a Z motherboard.

Then, the difference between the 6700 (K) and 7700(K) is that the 7th gen is clocked slightly higher and will likely overclock a little bit better. If the price difference is minimal (like $25 or less) go for the newer one. Otherwise, the 6700 (K) would be a better bet.

I have a MSI Z170-A Pro

5 minutes ago, typographie said:

If you want to overclock, it'll need to be the 6700K or 7700K, and either a Z170 or Z270 motherboard. The 6700 can be overclocked on certain motherboards with certain BIOS versions installed and certain sacrifices made, but it's probably not a process for someone who only wants to "try light overclocking." I don't know if that's possible with the 7700… I imagine Intel probably wanted to avoid letting that happen again.

How much more is the Kaby Lake CPU where you would be buying? If it's about the same, then naturally go with the 7700/7700K.

Kaby Lake and Z270 offer a little more connectivity than Skylake (24 chipset PCIe lanes to Z170's 20) and support for Intel Optane technology. In terms of performance the two are basically identical, though the 7700K comes clocked a little higher and anecdotally seems to overclock a little better.

I would be buying from microcenter and the prices are $280 for a 6700, $300 for a 7700, $300(+$30 for cooler) for the 6700k, and $330(+$30 for the cooler) for the 7700k, and I currently have a Z170

Since you're running a smaller cooler and a z170 board, I would save the 30 bucks and get the 6700k.

The 7700k can run hotter than the 6700k, that cooler might not be enough, definitely not enough for the 5GHz Kabylake can run.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

8 minutes ago, JTB7 said:

I would be buying from microcenter and the prices are $280 for a 6700, $300 for a 7700, $300(+$30 for cooler) for the 6700k, and $330(+$30 for the cooler) for the 7700k, and I currently have a Z170

$330 is a great price for a 7700K, it's just a shame about that pesky $300 6700K. I'm totally jelly of you people who live near Microcenters. :P I can't say the performance difference alone is worth $30, and you won't get the new chipset features without a new motherboard (and you may not use them anyway).

Make sure you update your BIOS before you install a Kaby Lake chip, if you decide to go that route.

58 minutes ago, typographie said:

$330 is a great price for a 7700K, it's just a shame about that pesky $300 6700K. I'm totally jelly of you people who live near Microcenters. :P I can't say the performance difference alone is worth $30, and you won't get the new chipset features without a new motherboard (and you may not use them anyway).

Make sure you update your BIOS before you install a Kaby Lake chip, if you decide to go that route.

One of my cousins buys from newegg and his credit card company lets him do a pricematch.  Most places also price match with microcenter, if you find a place that sells parts.