Will the i7 7700k temps likely be fixed?

Omie

Does the new i7 7700k chip have heat problems? There is a review on Newegg which someone says their chip was running hot and some of their cores would spike up to 90 degrees for a little bit. Amazon reviews don't mention this problem though.

Im not sure if this is just an issue with the i7 7700k batches from Newegg or could it be a general issue?

Has anyone got their 7700k from Newegg and if so, do you experience these heat problems?

I ordered my 7700k from Newegg so I'm kind of worried.

people who have them so far said it runs hotter than skylake.  not sure if its a batch issue or a real issue. 

If its only one person they more than likely applied their cooler or thermal paste wrong.

Haven't seen any articles to say they have really bad temperatures yet.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

9 minutes ago, Omie said:

There is a review on Newegg which someone says their chip was running hot and some of their cores would spike up to 90 degrees for a little bit.

This is why you can't trust consumer reviews: Whoever's complaining about an unlocked chip that doesn't come with a boxed cooler's heat problems, just happens to be using a bad cooler.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

13 minutes ago, Omie said:

Does the new i7 7700k chip have heat problems? There is a review on Newegg which someone says their chip was running hot and some of their cores would spike up to 90 degrees for a little bit.

that one person is doing it wrong. every benchmark on the internet says so

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

that one person is doing it wrong. every benchmark on the internet says so

Perhaps. I'm just worried it may be a issue with Newegg's chips, but then again, wouldn't the same batch of 7700k's get spread out and sent to same retailers (Amazon, Newegg, etc.) regardless right? As in, it doesn't really matter where you get the chip from since it just came out? 

He could have overclocked it past where his cooler can handle. Or he simply has somthing stupid like a stock cooler he had laying around. I hear overclocking temps are a bit nuts.

1 minute ago, Omie said:

Perhaps. I'm just worried it may be a issue with Newegg's chips, but then again, wouldn't the same batch of 7700k's get spread out and sent to same retailers (Amazon, Newegg, etc.) regardless right? As in, it doesn't really matter where you get the chip from since it just came out? 

if there was a bad batch you would hear more noise than one review on Newegg

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

if there was a bad batch you would hear more noise than one review on Newegg

Maybe, but it just seems Amazon has way more popularity than Newegg. There is already like 15 reviews on there while Newegg has only 4.

5 hours ago, Omie said:

Maybe, but it just seems Amazon has way more popularity than Newegg. There is already like 15 reviews on there while Newegg has only 4.

Look up reviews and follow the news. If the chip has been bad (remember the EVGA cards?) everybody should heard it by now and Intel should have measurements with that. 

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Look up reviews and follow the news. If the chip has been bad (remember the EVGA cards?) everybody should heard it by now and Intel should have measurements with that. 

Yeah I guess you're right. I mean it's not like different 7700k chips (batches) are being exclusively sent out to different retailers right?

36 minutes ago, EmoChipmonk said:

You could always delid the chip and add that liquid metal shit if you have issues :P

Nah, I'd prefer not to mess with that lol. 

1 minute ago, Omie said:

Nah, I'd prefer not to mess with that lol. 

Im debating on doing that if i get a kabylake proccesser but i would have a shop do it not me. SCREW THAT.

6 minutes ago, EmoChipmonk said:

Im debating on doing that if i get a kabylake proccesser but i would have a shop do it not me. SCREW THAT.

Just use it as is, IMO. I mean I don't think delidding is worth it unless you really want to squeeze every single ounce out of your processor lol.

A lot of people have been reporting that Kabylake can get to like 5.0GHz easily and that's not delidded, some even claim it can achieve it on air cooling.

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

You take that chance buying on the bleeding edge. But I wouldn't be worried about one bad newegg review. 

Yeah, I guess that's the downside of buying on a fresh new release. But I'm not too worried anymore. I don't think retailers matter because since it is new, there is probably only a couple batches out if that.

And if temps were really bad, there would most likely be a lot of news of it everywhere by now.

1 minute ago, Omie said:

A lot of people have been reporting that Kabylake can get to like 5.0GHz easily.

It won't do it easily from what I have seen. Eg you better have a powerful board and a 240mm AIO, as the power consumption and temps shoot way up when approaching those kind of clocks. But Asus claims 80% of 7600k will hit 5 GHz on one of their highend Z270 boards (I forget which).

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

It won't do it easily from what I have seen. Eg you better have a powerful board and a 240mm AIO, as the power consumption and temps shoot way up when approaching those kind of clocks. But Asus claims 80% of 7600k will hit 5 GHz on one of their highend Z270 boards (I forget which).

Oh I see. Well I have a H115i cooler and the Formula IX by Asus, so I'm hoping I could reach 5GHz when I decide to overclock.

5 minutes ago, Omie said:

Yeah, I guess that's the downside of buying on a fresh new release. But I'm not too worried anymore. I don't think retailers matter because since it is new, there is probably only a couple batches out if that.

The only thing I worry about from newegg is hard drives. I had two WD Blacks from them die prematurely on me, and they don't do such a great job packing their hard drives so that's what I attribute it to. But I buy so much other hardware there: CPUs, boards, GPUs, RAM, cases, my PS4, monitors, SSD, and so on. I just don't buy hard drives from them any more.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The only thing I worry about from newegg is hard drives. I had two WD Blacks from them die prematurely on me, and they don't do such a great job packing their hard drives so that's what I attribute it to. But I buy so much other hardware there. CPUs, boards, GPUs, RAM, my PS4, monitors. I just don't buy hard drives from them any more.

I actually bought an optical drive from them and it was packed just in bubble wrap lol.

I bought my WD black from Amazon though so and that came in sturdy packaging.

5 minutes ago, Omie said:

I actually bought an optical drive from them and it was packed just in bubble wrap lol.

I bought my WD black from Amazon though so and that came in sturdy packaging.

I should amend my statement to never buying OEM stuff from newegg, because yeah, the packing is absolute shit on items of that size. But I did buy a retail hard drive a couple of years ago from them that's fine. I mean the newegg packing was lousy, but HGST packed the drive fine in the retail box so I wasn't too worried about ordering it. Both my dead WD Blacks were OEM drives that they did a piss-poor job packing.

12 minutes ago, Omie said:

Just use it as is, IMO. I mean I don't think delidding is worth it unless you really want to squeeze every single ounce out of your processor lol.

A lot of people have been reporting that Kabylake can get to like 5.0GHz easily and that's not delidded, some even claim it can achieve it on air cooling.

I would like to air cool it and its the overclocked temps that are a worry as i hear they can get crazy high with kaby lake.

Just now, EmoChipmonk said:

I would like to air cool it and its the overclocked temps that are a worry as i hear they can get crazy high with kaby lake.

mabey ill just og with skylake and say screw it

So upon further research, I found out that the 7700k has way higher temps when compared to the 6700k. 

It appears that Kabylake suffers from an issue where the high temps are due to the gap between the IHS and core which is caused by the glue that holds the IHS on, it can also likely be caused due to the TIM.

Is it likely that Intel may fix this issue in later batches? Because if so, I'm debating on just waiting for that and returning my unopened 7700k (which I purchased on the first day the it released).

Or do you guys think the issue is here to stay until possibly Cannonlake releases?