Old School build 2003-2007

What I am trying to build is an old build for playing those classic games I played as a kid.

Help me for looking for parts.

Things I am looking for:

1. Small Case with enough room to fit an old graphics card

2. Best Amd or Intel cpu at the time period of your choice

3. Good motherboard at the time period of your choice

4. Psu (Already have)

5. Best graphics card at the time period of your choice (Something with hdmi if possible, if not then that is fine also)

If you can help that would be great, thanks :)

Try to list it in a number form factor as I did above if you could.

Names or links would suffice.

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

6 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

What I am trying to build is an old build for playing those classic games I played as a kid.

Help me for looking for parts.

Things I am looking for:

1. Small Case with enough room to fit an old graphics card

2. Best Amd or Intel cpu at the time period of your choice

3. Good motherboard at the time period of your choice

4. Psu (Already have)

5. Best graphics card at the time period of your choice (Something with hdmi if possible, if not then that is fine also)

If you can help that would be great, thanks :)

Try to list it in a number form factor as I did above if you could.

Don't really get what you're saying. Do you want to buy parts, or are you just looking for suggestions?

Also - good luck on finding an HDMI output from that era. It's probably s-video/dvi/vga, so a cheap $10 converter for amazon should work fine.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

the gtx 480 was a legendary card, some says it had a barbecue feature. from that era i like x1550 it has groundbreaking 512 of vram, considering most cards only had 256 mb of vram that was a big deal, i was 15 what that card launched. 

1 minute ago, bob51zhang said:

Don't really get what you're saying. Do you want to buy parts, or are you just looking for suggestions?

Also - good luck on finding an HDMI output from that era. It's probably s-video/dvi/vga, so a cheap $10 converter for amazon should work fine.

i think he is just trying to make a retro computer for fun. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

i think he is just trying to make a retro computer for fun. 

Make a build on paper, or actually to build physically? 

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

Names or links is what im looking for. Will edit my first post.

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

2 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

Make a build on paper, or actually to build physically? 

To actually build, I am going to be posting on my channel when I get all the parts in.

PCPartPicker

2 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

Names or links is what im looking for. Will edit my first post.

This?

Spoiler

PCPartPicker

That's actually my friends channel lol. I didn't want to bother him as he is making another video.

PCPartPicker

8 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

That's actually my friends channel lol. I didn't want to bother him as he is making another video.

What? That's so cool.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

What? That's so cool.

My channel name is JoTech if you want to check it out. There is not much on there but when I get my parts I will start uploading. I will send you a link to my channel via message.

PCPartPicker

Well, I recently picked up an old (huge) previously high-end computer off craigslist that is pretty close to what you are asking about. I'll give a list of most of the parts in there:

Motherboard: ASUS ABN-SLI Premium (I actually have two of them now)

I don't remember the CPUs in either of them at the moment.

GPU: SLI 7800 GTX 256MB

Memory: 4x1024 MB OCZ Platinum PC 3200 2-3-2-5 

PSU: Silverstone SST-ST65ZF 650W

EN7800GTX/2DHTV/256M

(It is this model, to specify what one it is)

Here is a review from Guru3d: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-7800-gtx-sli,1.html

Do what you want for hard drives, they were taken out. The case was also a monster, so I tossed it out. Not enough space in my dorm, and too big for what you were wanting anyways.

If you want any more info, or are interested in anything, feel free to PM me.

NOTE: All of this is circa 2005, so about in the middle of your range.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb