Do i need a M.2 storage

Tahsin Alam

M.2 and PCI-e based storages are fast but do everyone need it? What are the main advantages of having them.Please explain.

Off topic: Which files should i store in a HDD and which files in SSD.should i install games in SSD?

Do people need supercars? Faster = better?

If you keep games on an ssd they will load faster, but not much else.

As for file types, I don't think it matters these days.

DEFINITELY keep games that you play frequently on an SSD. It considerably reduces the time it takes for you computer to move the game from your storage device to your system memory. Personally I was running on a 120GB SSD and only kept the top 2 or 3 games I was playing, photoshop (along with raw photos I was working with) , and windows on that drive. Not necessary for small programs and storage. The only huge upside to actually storing things on your SSD is the reliability. Significantly less failure rate on an SSD.  

i7 4930k \ Asus P9X79 LE \ Corsair H100i \ 16 GB DDR3 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus Strix R9 380x 4GB \ Crucial 500 GB Sata III SSD \ Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W \ Corsair Crystal 460 Black \ Razer Naga Molten edition \ Razer Black Widow Ultimate \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers \ Hyper X Cloud Alpha \ 

i5 6600k\ Asus Z170-A \ Corsair H100i v2 \ 16 GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus GTX 1060 6GB 4GB \ SanDisk 480 GB Sata III SSD \ Seasonic G Series550W \ DIYPC Skyline 06 black/green \ Razer Naga Epic \ Razer Black Widow Chroma \ Logitech 2.1 Speakers \ Logitech G430 \ 

There are very few use cases a normal consumer would do to warrant the need for an NVMe SSD. Loading times and response times are barely better in practice than from a SATA SSD.

As for what to store, programs, including games, benefit more being on an SSD. Documents and multimedia files do not since they have low bandwidth requirements.

Need? No. A normal SSD is for most users good enough, because they don't have the use scenarios that make really use of the big speed advantages these drives offer. It won't be as the swap from HDD to SSD. Ofcourse when the pricegap is small enough it will become more mainstream, but for now the increased pricetag is for most not worth the performance gain.

Server use, single large file transfers, videocontent creation would be viable use scenarios for example. But for boottime, OS, gaming and Word doc nothing you will notice

Check my guide in the signature. There is a chapter about related SSD stuff and their interfaces.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

@Tahsin Alam

I'd argue that for almost any system it's worth it,  with m.2 drives you can run a system with no sata cables,  no extra power cables etc. 

Not to mention even with basic applications,  web,  office,  etc you have the benefit of better read right performance. 

In terms of gaming performance here's a good real world scenerio for you. 

I had Doom running on a 7200rpm mech drive,  the load times were so bad the system would almost hang b/c it took so long for the game to load.

I generally keep whatever game (the big AAA titles) on my boot drive and other stuff where I might want to do a playthrough in a few months I just keep as a steam backup on a mechanical drive. Way faster then downloading and keeps it off my ssd.