Enthoo Luxe (Intake vs. Exhaust)

Omie

I want to replace the rear 140mm fan of my Luxe with an ML140 Pro.

Could I connect my ML140 Pro fan to the Luxe's PWM hub even though the hub takes 3 pin fans and my ML140 Pro's are 4 pin PWM? I then plan on taking the 4 pin cable that controls all the fans in the hub and then plug it into the chassis fan header of my mobo which is full PWM.

Can I do that and have PWM control for all my fans?

3 minutes ago, Omie said:

I want to replace the rear 140mm fan of my Luxe with an ML140 Pro.

Could I connect my ML140 Pro fan to the Luxe's PWM hub even though the hub takes 3 pin fans and my ML140 Pro's are 4 pin PWM? I then plan on taking the 4 pin cable that controls all the fans in the hub and then plug it into the chassis fan header of my mobo which is full PWM.

Can I do that?

If it is this hub here it will only be capable of 3 pin DC voltage control, the unit takes in a PWM control signal and provides an equivalent 3 pin DC voltage control out. You would be better off looking for a powered PWM hub such as this if you plan to have a lot of 4 pin PWM based fans.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/swiftech-8-way-pwm-splitter-box-sata.html

17.jpg

Yes, i do believe that works. You'd just have the extra wire not connected, it's the last wire that does the "PWM stuff"

i see no reason why it would not work. I believe you will not get as low rpm as you would using a 4-pin fan splitter

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

51 minutes ago, W-L said:

If it is this hub here it will only be capable of 3 pin DC voltage control, the unit takes in a PWM control signal and provides an equivalent 3 pin DC voltage control out. You would be better off looking for a powered PWM hub such as this if you plan to have a lot of 4 pin PWM based fans.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/swiftech-8-way-pwm-splitter-box-sata.html

17.jpg

It is the hub in the picture. But your saying I won't be getting PWM for all of the fans in the PWM hub even if I plug in the 4-pin PWM cable that controls all the fans on the hub (right-most cable in the pic) into my motherboard's chassis fan header which is full PWM? If so, then why is it called a PWM hub if it can't do PWM? And the hub is also powered by a 12V SATA.

i basically just want to know if the 3pin fans connected to the hub get converted to PWM via the 12V SATA power and the 4pin PWM cable coming out of the hub and connecting to my mobo's true PWM fan header.

So I recently learned that the Enthoo Luxe's PWM Hub cannot convert the 3pin fans attached to it to full PWM (even if the 4pin PWM cable from the hub is attached to a true PWM header on the motherboard).

My motherboard is a Maximus IX Formula and it has 3 chassis fan headers which are all true PWM.

To match my red theme build, I'm going to replace the Luxe's stock 140mm rear fan with an ML140 Pro red LED (4pin PWM fan) and then connect it directly to my first chassis fan header which is true PWM. Then the only fan left in my case is my front 200mm fan which is connected and powered at the PWM hub (hub powered by 12V SATA). Then, I'll just connect the 4pin PWM hub cable to my other chassis fan header which is also true PWM. Even though my 200mm fan won't be full PWM since it's 3pin, the maximum rpm for it is only 850rpm (+- 250), which is not that loud at all, and since it's on the PWM hub, I'll be able to control it right?

Does that sound good?

Here is a rundown of my plan:

CHA_FAN1: Directly connected to ML140 Pro (4pin PWM fan).

CHA_FAN2: Connected via 4pin PWM hub cable (which holds the 3pin 200mm front fan).

23 minutes ago, Omie said:

So I recently learned that the Enthoo Luxe's PWM Hub cannot convert the 3pin fans attached to it to full PWM (even if the 4pin PWM cable from the hub is attached to a true PWM header on the motherboard).

My motherboard is a Maximus IX Formula and it has 3 chassis fan headers which are all true PWM.

To match my red theme build, I'm going to replace the Luxe's stock 140mm rear fan with an ML140 Pro red LED (4pin PWM fan) and then connect it directly to my first chassis fan header which is true PWM. Then the only fan left in my case is my front 200mm fan which is connected and powered at the PWM hub (hub powered by 12V SATA). Then, I'll just connect the 4pin PWM hub cable to my other chassis fan header which is also true PWM. Even though my 200mm fan won't be full PWM since it's 3pin, the maximum rpm for it is only 850rpm (+- 250), which is not that loud at all, and since it's on the PWM hub, I'll be able to control it right?

Does that sound good?

Here is a rundown of my plan:

CHA_FAN1: Directly connected to ML140 Pro (4pin PWM fan).

CHA_FAN2: Connected via 4pin PWM hub cable (which holds the 3pin 200mm front fan).

I don't think so. PWM delivers full voltage to the fans, then just switches the fan on and off many times per second. 

I think you'll just end up with a fan running at full RPM. If you connect the fan directly to the header on the MOBO you may be able to switch it over to DC (3 pin) control mode. 

Why use the hub if you only have one fan connected to it?

EDIT: It does seem that there are some products that exist that allow you to use a pwm signal to control 3 pin fans, such as the following product.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811984004&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink2-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=8167372&SID=ixqichzr2f000a1700053

However, that is not JUST a hub, there's a controller in there that controls the 3 pin fans. If you just bought a 4 pin hub, it probably won't work.

I don't think you understand how those fan cables work...

pin 1 is ground

pin 2 is power

pin 3 is tachometer (so your computer knows when it's cpu fan dies)

pin 4 is PWM (if present)

PWM works by rapidly switching on and off at the rate your fan needs to spin.

If you plug a 3 pin fan into a 4 pin pwm controller, it will always run at 100% because there is no control present.

If you want to convert it you'll need a digital to analog converter.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

35 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I don't think so. PWM delivers full voltage to the fans, then just switches the fan on and off many times per second. 

I think you'll just end up with a fan running at full RPM. If you connect the fan directly to the header on the MOBO you may be able to switch it over to DC (3 pin) control mode. 

Why use the hub if you only have one fan connected to it?

EDIT: It does seem that there are some products that exist that allow you to use a pwm signal to control 3 pin fans, such as the following product.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811984004&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink2-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=8167372&SID=ixqichzr2f000a1700053

However, that is not JUST a hub, there's a controller in there that controls the 3 pin fans. If you just bought a 4 pin hub, it probably won't work.

So your talking about that 200mm front fan right? The ML140 pro should work fine cause it is 4pin PWM connected directly to a 4pin PWM header on the mobo.

So your saying to just ditch the hub if I'm only using one stock fan and plug the 200mm into a motherboard fan header instead even if the header is 4 pin?

But no matter what, without that item you linked, the 200mm front fan, since it's 3pin, will always run at 100% and there is no way to control them?

29 minutes ago, Elerek said:

I don't think you understand how those fan cables work...

pin 1 is ground

pin 2 is power

pin 3 is tachometer (so your computer knows when it's cpu fan dies)

pin 4 is PWM (if present)

PWM works by rapidly switching on and off at the rate your fan needs to spin.

If you plug a 3 pin fan into a 4 pin pwm controller, it will always run at 100% because there is no control present.

If you want to convert it you'll need a digital to analog converter.

So without the converter, a 3 pin fan, in this case the 200mm stock front fan, will always run at 100% (max RPM) no matter what and there is no way I can control it?

4 minutes ago, Omie said:

So your talking about that 200mm front fan right? The ML140 pro should work fine cause it is 4pin PWM connected directly to a 4pin PWM header on the mobo.

So your saying to just ditch the hub if I'm only using one fan and plug the 200mm into a motherboard fan header even if the header is 4 pin?

But no matter what, without that item you linked, all 3 pin fans will always run at 100% and there is no way to control them?

So without the converter, a 3 pin fan will always run at 100% (max RPM) no matter what and there is no way I can control it?

Correct, your back fan is fine, but the front one will need something like what he linked there to be controllable.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

1 minute ago, Elerek said:

Correct, your back fan is fine, but the front one will need something like what he linked there to be controllable.

Ok so it doesn't matter whether the front fan is plugged into Luxe's PWM hub or directly into a motherboard fan header, it will be the same regardless and always run at 100% with no control?

Here is my front fan: https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16835709035&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile-_-pla-_-Case+Fans-_-N82E16835709035&gclid=Cj0KEQiAhs3DBRDmu-rVkuif0N8BEiQAWuUJr5k1FT4k1w8EHFzHwzpAty11X9lde4H7BC75knN1XXUaAosj8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

As you can see it's only 850rpm +- 250, so it shouldn't be that loud right? Although I don't know what they mean by the +-250, because if it's 3pin it should always run at 100% and can't be controlled right?

1 minute ago, Omie said:

Ok so it doesn't matter whether the front fan is plugged into Luxe's PWM hub or directly into a motherboard fan header, it will be the same regardless and always run at 100% with no control?

Here is my front fan: https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16835709035&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile-_-pla-_-Case+Fans-_-N82E16835709035&gclid=Cj0KEQiAhs3DBRDmu-rVkuif0N8BEiQAWuUJr5k1FT4k1w8EHFzHwzpAty11X9lde4H7BC75knN1XXUaAosj8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

As you can see it's only 850rpm +- 250, so it shouldn't be that loud right? Although I don't know what they mean by the +-250, because if it's 3pin it should always run at 100% and can't be controlled right?

that +-250 is just them covering their butts in case it isn't right at 850rpm. 

1 minute ago, Omie said:

No, that's incorrect

If you plug the 3 pin fan into the 4 pin header ON THE MOTHERBOARD, you're board will probably be able to control its voltage. 

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

No, that's incorrect

If you plug the 3 pin fan into the 4 pin header ON THE MOTHERBOARD, you're board will probably be able to control its voltage. 

Just looked up the motherboard specs and this guy's right, your motherboard supports 3pin fan control. So your 3 pin fan will work, just make sure it isn't connected to the same fan plug on your motherboard as a 4 pin fan and check your bios for settings if it isn't working.

1 minute ago, Elerek said:

that +-250 is just them covering their butts in case it isn't right at 850rpm. 

Oh ok

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

No, that's incorrect

I see. So it would be better to just plug the front fan directly into the motherboard instead of the hub. Since if it's plugged into the hub and the 4pin PWM cable from the hub is plugged into the mobo, that front fan can't be controlled?

Although I'm confused, why do they even call it a PWM hub then if it can't do PWM. I mean there is a 4pin PWM cable coming off of the hub which you use to connect to the mobo, so I'm not sure why it can't make the fans connected to the hub PWM as well.

3 minutes ago, Elerek said:

Just looked up the motherboard specs and this guy's right, your motherboard supports 3pin fan control. So your 3 pin fan will work, just make sure it isn't connected to the same fan plug on your motherboard as a 4 pin fan and check your bios for settings if it isn't working.

Ok I'll plug it into the other chassis fan header then.

But say if I wanted to use the PWM hub and have only the front fan connected to it just for the heck of it, will I still be able to control the front fan (through 3pin fan control) if the PWM cable off the hub is connected to a 4pin chassis fan header on my mobo which is true PWM?

Just now, Omie said:

Oh ok

I see. So it would be better to just plug the front fan directly into the motherboard instead of the hub. Since if it's plugged into the hub and the 4pin PWM cable from the hub is plugged into the mobo, that front fan can't be controlled?

Although I'm confused, why do they even call it a PWM hub then if it can't do PWM. I mean there is a 4pin PWM cable coming off of the hub which you use to connect to the mobo, so I'm not sure why it can't make the fans connected to the hub PWM as well.

That hub CAN do PWM if you plug PWM fans into it. All it's doing is splitting the signal from the 4rth wire (PWM) and sending it to every fan pugged into it. But if your fan doesn't have a 4rth wire, it doesn't do anything.

The hub linked above was a hub that converts PWM to 3pin control.

1 minute ago, Omie said:

Ok I'll plug it into the other chassis fan header then.

But say if I wanted to use the PWM hub and have only the front fan connected to it just for the heck of it, will I still be able to control the front fan if the PWM cable off the hub is connected to a chassis fan header on my mobo which is true PWM?

It won't be any different. All that hub is doing is connecting a wire. That pwm wire is useless to a fan that doesn't also have one. Putting your hub between the motherboard and your fan is just like adding a 4pin extension cable on your 3 pin fan. That 4rth wire just dies where the 3 pin cable starts. It doesn't do anything.

5 minutes ago, Elerek said:

That hub CAN do PWM if you plug PWM fans into it. All it's doing is splitting the signal from the 4rth wire (PWM) and sending it to every fan pugged into it. But if your fan doesn't have a 4rth wire, it doesn't do anything.

The hub linked above was a hub that converts PWM to 3pin control.

But how would I plug PWM (4pin) fans into the Luxe's fan hub if the hub only takes 3 pin fans?

4 minutes ago, Elerek said:

It won't be any different. All that hub is doing is connecting a wire. That pwm wire is useless to a fan that doesn't also have one. Putting your hub between the motherboard and your fan is just like adding a 4pin extension cable on your 3 pin fan. That 4rth wire just dies where the 3 pin cable starts. It doesn't do anything.

Ok I'll just plug my front fan into a motherboard fan header then and avoid the hub altogether.

If that fan hub only has 3-pin outputs then we've all been wasting your time and that's not a pwm hub, it's a pwm to 3 pin converting hub just like the one @corrado33

linked for you...

4 minutes ago, Elerek said:

If that fan hub only has 3-pin outputs then we've all been wasting your time and that's not a pwm hub, it's a pwm to 3 pin converting hub just like the one @corrado33

linked for you...

I don't think so. Googling around people say that 3 pin fans on that "hub" run at max speed.

Technically when you split a 4 pin signal you only need 3 pins for all of the fans after the first one (only the first one sends it's RPM info back.)

6 minutes ago, Elerek said:

linked for you...

The hub in my Luxe looks like this:

17.jpg

So your best bet is to plug the 3 pin fan into the motherboard.

But! If you can manually set the control scheme in your bios (my bios lets me do it for my fan headers) to DC voltage control (not PWM) then MAYBE the hub would work. MAYBE. No guarantees. 

4 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

So your best bet is to plug the 3 pin fan into the motherboard.

But! If you can manually set the control scheme in your bios (my bios lets me do it for my fan headers) to DC voltage control (not PWM) then MAYBE the hub would work. MAYBE. No guarantees. 

So this is what I want to know, regardless if I plug that 3pin front fan into my motherboard OR plug it into the hub and take the 4pin hub cable and plug it into the motherboard, I'll still be able to control the front fan via DC voltage control (not PWM) either way?

If you plug it into the motherboard, you will 100% be able to control it.

If you plug it into the controller, I'd say maybe 25% chance of being able to control it. 

We won't know until you try.