Return 6700k and buy 7700k?

I got my 6700k and my motherboard around Christmas time so I could easily return it for a Z270 and 7700k processor.  Would it be worth it if I do so?  I acknowledge the 7700k having little performance boost but would you do in a situation like this.

Thanks and have a good afternoon

Kolt L

Web developer

1 minute ago, itzzkolt said:

I got my 6700k and my motherboard around Christmas time so I could easily return it for a Z270 and 7700k processor.  Would it be worth it if I do so?  I acknowledge the 7700k having little performance boost but would you do in a situation like this.

Well. If you want to sure.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Well. If you want to sure.

I am saying, would it be worth the hassle or would it be a waste of time.  

Kolt L

Web developer

2 minutes ago, itzzkolt said:

Well if you do overclock YES, the new z270 chipset has a bunch new features and the i7 7700k and i5 7600k can achieve way greater clock speeds then a 6700k.

The geek himself.

4 minutes ago, itzzkolt said:

I don't thinks it's worth the hassle. Delidding your 6700K and pushing clocks would net you around the same additional performance.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I don't thinks it's worth the hassle. Delidding your 6700K and pushing clocks would net you around the same additional performance.

delidding your cpu can and will kill in a lot of cases please don't be smart, if you want go for the 7700k,  i don't think it's worth it. 

Just now, Energycore said:

I would argue delidding is more hassle (and significantly more risky) if you want the performance.

It's completely up to you, OP. We can't tell you if the extra performance is worth your time. Only you can make that decision. Sure, it's not a huge jump, but the numbers will be slightly higher.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

delidding your cpu can and will kill if you do it wrong

FTFY

Please don't spread fear. Just cuz you're scared doesn't make you the right to scare the people around you.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

FTFY

Please don't spread fear. Just cuz you're scared doesn't make you the right to scare the people around you.

well its not a fear its a fact deledding is stupid and people should not do it. one lucky doesn't mean everyone will have the same luck.  

1 minute ago, Emberstone said:

I would argue delidding is more hassle (and significantly more risky) if you want the performance.

Perhaps you're right. I'm not sure the price for delidding tools but if you buy one it shouldn't be that hard. Returning and rebuying also means sitting computerless for a couple weeks. Risks of delidding and all if I had both options, I would either delid or do nothing

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

deledding is stupid and people should not do it

You haven't said why you think this

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

You haven't said why you think this

voiding warranty is number one than most people will screw up when they do that the performance gain you get is not worth it, linus did a video on it showed.  

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

voiding warranty is number one than most people will screw up when they do that the performance gain you get is not worth it, linus did a video on it showed. 

Like every forum member who's delidded will tell you, Linus used the wrong TIM. People have been shoving 15-20 degrees off their CPUs by doing so. It's a surprise you even trust Linus xD

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Like every forum member who's delidded will tell you, Linus used the wrong TIM. People have been shoving 15-20 degrees off their CPUs by doing so. It's a surprise you even trust Linus xD

well he has a lot more experience in this sort of thing he is very trustworthy in my opinion, in today's CPU deledding is worthless because of the minimal gain risking so much for so little.  also every forum member who did it was lucky when they weren't they had a post how they messed up deledding the guy did vary few people do this practice. 

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

well he has a lot more experience in this sort of thing he is very trustworthy in my opinion, in today's CPU deledding is worthless because of the minimal gain risking so much for so little.  also every forum member who did it was lucky when they weren't they had a post how they messed up deledding the guy did vary few people do this practice. 

I'll stop trying to convince you, it can't be helped. Linus used TIM that's bad performance and that's a fact.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

I'll stop trying to convince you, it can't be helped. Linus used TIM that's bad performance and that's a fact.

well evidence is more than just words he showed his process and he showed his results. 

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Easy, don't delid something you're not willing to lose, simple as that.

You could say the same thing for overclocking. You always run the risk of overvolting the CPU to the point either it shorts out or the motherboard does. That doesn't even take possible degradation into account as well.

Do you also only suggest buying non-K SKU CPUs?

EDIT: I enjoy pushing the envelope and learning new things that can improve computing performance. About the only thing I haven't done is extreme cooling such as dice and LN2.

Also extreme overclocker Der8auer made a tool to delid Intel CPUs which drastically reduces the risk of a bad delid for anyone that wants to try it:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/news/the-der8auer-delid-die-mate-40.html

I think we all now get the point that deliding the CPU isn't something Intel would be that happy to let you do, and that only those who are willing to take the risk and are enthusiast (plus intelligent) enough should be doing. For me it wouldn't be worth the risk, but if I would be happy to accept the risk and would be interested in maybe finding a way of dissipating more heat from the CPU, then I would. All you are literally doing is finding a way to provide better contact and thermal conductivity, which can actually net some meaningful gains (along with a good cooler). As always, just do your own research and make up your own mind.

35 minutes ago, itzzkolt said:

Are you going to be overclocking now or in the future?

10 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Are you going to be overclocking now or in the future?

In the future I plan to overclock.  My MSI app has it overclocked to 4.4GHz now

Kolt L

Web developer

3 minutes ago, itzzkolt said:

In the future I plan to overclock.  My MSI app has it overclocked to 4.4GHz now

On average so far, there's a great deal more OC headroom on Kaby Lake 7700k chips when compared to 6700k averages.

If you have no plans to go to or above 5 GHz, just keep the chip that you have.

Kabylake is a refresh of Skylake, The clock speeds are the significant differences between the 2 families. As @Pandalf said the performance is negligible. Is the hassle worth it? 

If you can return it for a full refund, I would suggest you do it.

I was in the same situation as you and ended up returning my 6700k and got a 7700k and z270 mobo.

Kabylake and Skylake are very close to the same price so why not just go with the better option instead of limiting yourself already.

1 hour ago, Pandalf said:

Not worth the hassle. I see you have 980 Ti, the folks at techspot benchmarked those CPUs with the exact same GPU - http://www.techspot.com/review/1299-intel-core-kaby-lake-desktop/page9.html

1 hour ago, NW.Har said:

Kabylake is a refresh of Skylake, The clock speeds are the significant differences between the 2 families. As @Pandalf said the performance is negligible. Is the hassle worth it? 

I may upgrade my video card in the near future as I am saving up for one.  If I were to upgrade, I would be set maybe 2 or more years and it would support many games.  If it means getting the latest and greatest without having to spend more and just replacing a CPU and motherboard(to Z270) maybe it would be worth the hassle of shipping it back, and setting the new stuff in half an hour.  That's all that I have to which doesn't take that long.

3 minutes ago, Omie said:

If you can return it for a full refund, I would suggest you do it.

I was in the same situation as you and ended up returning my 6700k and got a 7700k and z270 mobo.

Kabylake and Skylake are very close to the same price so why not just go with the better option instead of limiting yourself already.

You went through the process already?  What motherboard did you get?  There is not a lot of z270s in the market currently.

Kolt L

Web developer