Quick question about G-sync

Sporfman
Go to solution Solved by Gonio,

The Gsync module will work, no matter the reso.

If I use a 4k G-sync panel will G-sync still be available at 1440p. So my question is will G-sync work with resolutions other than what is native to the monitor?

yup.  Just tried my 1440p gsync at 1080 and it worked the same

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

23 minutes ago, Sporfman said:

If I use a 4k G-sync panel will G-sync still be available at 1440p. So my question is will G-sync work with resolutions other than what is native to the monitor?

Hang on, what display are you buying? I'm assuming you already own a PC with an nvidia GPU?

Because on the PC part picker G-sync 4k displays are $800
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TzfmP6/asus-monitor-pg27aq

While Free-sync 4k displays with the same specs are around $400 for IPS
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yfx9TW/lg-27ud58-b-270-60hz-monitor-27ud58-b

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Hang on, what display are you buying? I'm assuming you already own a PC with an nvidia GPU?

Because on the PC part picker G-sync 4k displays are $800
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TzfmP6/asus-monitor-pg27aq

While Free-sync 4k displays with the same specs are around $400 for IPS
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yfx9TW/lg-27ud58-b-270-60hz-monitor-27ud58-b

I have a gtx 1070 at the moment. I want a 4k display for the extra pixels for productivity, but I want to game at 1440p because I know I won't be hitting 60 fps at 4k with a 1070. I already have an lg ultrawide with freesync. maybe I should wait to get a monitor and see what amd has with vega.

10 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

yup.  Just tried my 1440p gsync at 1080 and it worked the same

Awesome thanks!

24 minutes ago, Gonio said:

The Gsync module will work, no matter the reso.

Thanks! 

4 minutes ago, Sporfman said:

I have a gtx 1070 at the moment. I want a 4k display for the extra pixels for productivity, but I want to game at 1440p because I know I won't be hitting 60 fps at 4k with a 1070. I already have an lg ultrawide with freesync. maybe I should wait to get a monitor and see what amd has with vega.

27' 4k is not for productivity because you need to use windows scaling, you'll want 32" or at a 40" 4k display, also 1080p scales perfectly with 4k you'll want to use that over 1440p most likely, but many games should work fine at medium-high settings

Is the G-sync display you're going to buy cost $800? or near it? because it's not worth getting g-sync if it costs a lot more than the free-sync display.

Is the ultra wide 1440p? I'm imagining it's only 1080p

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, Sporfman said:

maybe I should wait to get a monitor and see what amd has with vega.

not a bad idea.  I just got a dell s2716dg around black friday and I probably should've waited to see what amd is going to do.  My 980's are showing their age so I'm thinking of replacing them and I just limited myself to Nvidia unless I want to lose more money on this expensive monitor :P

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

There is more to a screen and experience then only Gsync or freesync with cost in mind. Also since he already has a good 1070 I see no reason to swap parts later on for going either Gsync or freesync. The cheaper freesync gets costly then because a newer GPU will then also be added in the cost.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list