FX-9590 Cooling

Articx420

I know for a fact that this chip is 100% just a overclocked 8350, and that i should go with intel. BUT, I have gotten this chip for free and all I don't have is a cooler. If I were to underclock the chip to say, 4.0 GHZ, can something like a hyper 212 evo cool this thing until I can buy a proper water cooler? Please no AMD jokes or whatever you guys do to people like me. Thanks in advance.

it shud work , as for water cooler i would go for a dual rad atleast 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

4 minutes ago, Articx420 said:

I know for a fact that this chip is 100% just a overclocked 8350, and that i should go with intel. BUT, I have gotten this chip for free and all I don't have is a cooler. If I were to underclock the chip to say, 4.0 GHZ, can something like a hyper 212 evo cool this thing until I can buy a proper water cooler? Please no AMD jokes or whatever you guys do to people like me. Thanks in advance.

yeah, sure why not.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

You'll need one hell of a cooler to keep it operational. At 4 GHz it'll be ok with a 212

That's an F in the profile pic

3 hours ago, Froody129 said:

You'll need one hell of a cooler to keep it operational. At 4 GHz it'll be ok with a 212

So, if I just kept it at 4 Ghz on the 212. Could it last me a while? Or does the  not really like being undervolted?

3 minutes ago, Articx420 said:

So, if I just kept it at 4 Ghz on the 212. Could it last me a while? Or does the  not really like being undervolted?

will last probably longer than ur actual cat

8 minutes ago, smokefest said:

will last probably longer than ur actual cat

So the clock speed is the thing thats making all that heat? So on 4.0 at 1.35 volts, I should get that thing to last upwards of 4-5 years?

6 minutes ago, Articx420 said:

So the clock speed is the thing thats making all that heat? So on 4.0 at 1.35 volts, I should get that thing to last upwards of 4-5 years?

Clock speed doesn't affect lifespan but the voltage and temps would. You should be looking to undervolt if you want to run it at lower temps.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

39 minutes ago, Articx420 said:

as long as you dont overvolt or get too high temp, ur cpu will last many years u will surely see other components die before the cpu anyway no worries... like stated, as long as you dont exceed voltage and dont get like 90 degree... you fine

56 minutes ago, Articx420 said:

Many have issues with it not actually hitting 5GHz at stock and you need tons of voltage for it. Nothing makes 5GHz magical and it's just an overclocked 8350. If you cut a fifth of the clock off you should be able to cut about a fifth of the voltage off and both will make very big differences in temps. It's very easy to undervolt, there are YouTube videos on it

Also, don't get a 212. There's much better for the price. I'm not too clued up on coolers tho, so ask somewhere else for a cooler, I'll help if can though

That's an F in the profile pic