today is really not my day brothas.. (GPU output blacking out)

kofman13

Hey guys. My rig is 1.5 years old. Specs are in my flair but anyway its: i7 5820K

16gb ddr4

Visiontek R9 290X 4gb

MSI Gaming X99 7S board

Playing Battlefield 1 today on ultra settings, performance is fine, great frame rates. GPU is loud as heck per usual. I get into a match and about 1-2 minutes into it, my monitor goes black and my GPU fans go back down to low speed instantly. My computer is still on but seems to be rebooting after this black out. But my monitor is not detecting signal from GPU. I unplug my monitor, plug in my PS4 to the monitor, shows that fine. So its not my cable or monitor.

Pressing Hard reset button on the front of my case does not get any video back on monitor. Only if I press the power ( set to start normal healthy shut down), and then turn it back on from 100% cold, then I get video back. Works fine unless I run Battlefield 1 for about 1-2 minutes. I have owned Battlefield 1 for a week now and this is only happening today.

When running demanding games, my GPU can get up to 90C very easily, 100% usage. It's 52c right now on 0% load watching you tube lol. I googled this and apparently a lot of other people with the visiontek R9 290x 4GB have the same insane temps but many people say it keeps working ( at that moment at least). My initial guess is that maybe my GPU is dying and over heating from Battlefield 1 but I don't currently own any other games as demanding as BF1 to test if its temps. Are there Any free programs out there that can run stress test on my GPU to see if its an overheating issue? At the same time I don't want to completely kill my GPU with a stress test because I need my computer for work related non gaming stuff over the next two days and It works fine unless I play a demanding game. I tried some less demanding games like Killing floor 2 which makes my gpu only go to 68c and it does not black out. only under stress

I am not worried though because I have 3 year repairs plan with microcenter for all components that came with my system so worst case Ill drop it off and hopefully they can swap out the card for something new. but then my desktop is out of commision for 48 hours.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: I ran Valley Benchmark at "Ultra HD" preset and and it happened again. Crapped out and screen went black again. Got to 85-90 c and went black after like 30 seconds into benchmark. second time it went about a minute into benchmark before blacking out and computer starting rebooting.  was getting 75-80 fps though :"D

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

90c is not a very good temp to have your GPU up to normally. My guess is that it would be dying. Maybe try air dusting it and/or trying to get the card better airflow inside of your case? Otherwise i think it might be wise to start doing some shopping.

3 minutes ago, mcfly said:

90c is not a very good temp to have your GPU up to normally. My guess is that it would be dying. Maybe try air dusting it and/or trying to get the card better airflow inside of your case? Otherwise i think it might be wise to start doing some shopping.

yeah games like BF1, Black Desert online, Rise of the Tomb raider, big games get it to 88-90c. airflow in my case is wonderful. I airdust it pretty normally but ill try again. luckily it was a prebuilt system from powerspec/microcenter and I sitll have the repair plan so Hopefully they replace it

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

90°C is fine for Hawaii. It might be dying, or more likely you're running into a VRM overheating problem. You might consider running a custom fan curve profile using MSI Afterburner.

Try putting new thermal paste on if you haven't for a while.

---Me Rig---

-CPU- 

Intel i7-6700K

-GPU- 

Gigabyte RX 5600XT OC 6GB

-STORAGE- 

1x Western Digital 1TB HDD

1x Samsung M.2 1TB SSD

1x Crucial 275GB MX300 SSD

-RAM- 

Team Group 2 x 8GB DDR4 2400mHZ

-PSU- 

Corsair CX-M Series CX650M 

-MOBO- 

Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 6

-CASE-

Phanteks P400S Satin Black TG Edition

-PERIPHERALS-

Logitech g502 RGB and Blackwidow Elite.

-PART PICKER URL-

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Jf9tbj

Have a Nice Day, Give us a Thumbs up if I helped you, Why Not?