What if consoles were allowed to have full OS's?

agentxisepic

Okay I am changing this topic because I'm getting tired of people claiming I am trying to start a war, I am simply interested in seeing what people think if you could use a game console as a pc by either dual booting or just overwriting the old console os.

5 minutes ago, agentxisepic said:

One simple reason there should be no console vs. PC wars.....they are all computers, one can just do more than the other and one Is more outdated than the other.

It's all stated in community standards 

Anyone that takes it seriously is truly an idiot. I use it more as a meme.

I don't care if you use PC or console but I prefer PC. If you try to challenge me on using my chosen platform I will argue in favour of it

That's an F in the profile pic

1 minute ago, Froody129 said:

Anyone that takes it seriously is truly an idiot. I use it more as a meme.

I don't care if you use PC or console but I prefer PC. If you try to challenge me on using my chosen platform I will argue in favour of it

I'm not I was just wondering peoples opinions if the considered the Xbox or PlayStation as a pc with a very.....different operating system. Personally I love pc as well.

1 minute ago, agentxisepic said:

I'm not I was just wondering peoples opinions if the considered the Xbox or PlayStation as a pc with a very.....different operating system. Personally I love pc as well.

This gen the consoles have more PC-like hardware but usually they're more proprietary 

PC= Personal Computer

A gaming console doesn't count as a personal computer unless you change the OS (difficult on the console hardware)

1 minute ago, Froody129 said:

This gen the consoles have more PC-like hardware but usually they're more proprietary 

PC= Personal Computer

A gaming console doesn't count as a personal computer unless you change the OS (difficult on the console hardware)

That is a good point, but have you heard of the guy who actually got Linux running on an Xbox? Yeah this generation, Interested to see where it goes..

1 hour ago, agentxisepic said:

That is a good point, but have you heard of the guy who actually got Linux running on an Xbox? Yeah this generation, Interested to see where it goes..

No I haven't. Consoles would make great PC's since they're small, quiet and powerful for the price, but the benefit of optimising for their weaker hardware disappears. I'm not really sure what you're asking or the point of this though xD

4 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

No I haven't. Consoles would make great PC's since they're small, quiet and powerful for the price, but the benefit of optimising for their weaker hardware disappears. I'm not really sure what you're asking or the point of this though xD

I just think it would be interesting like I said, and what if in the future, consoles could dual boot a full version of windows or linux and their separate native console os. I think that would be cool. 

1 hour ago, agentxisepic said:

I just think it would be interesting like I said, and what if in the future, consoles could dual boot a full version of windows or linux and their separate native console os. I think that would be cool. 

I might be missing the point... But if that were the case, how would gaming consoles differ from gaming PCs in living room-friendly form factors that we can buy right now? Every meaningful difference between a console and a gaming PC boils down to the fact that consoles are locked down and proprietary. Take that away, and it's just PC gaming in a smaller case.

That's not to say I'm against the idea. Open ecosystems would be great for all gamers, but apocalyptic for Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo.

As mentioned above, such wars are strictly

prohibited by the community standards :).

For practical reasons it does make sense

to have them in two sub-sections, granted

they are both active enough. Albeit small,

there are actual differences between the

two after all. 

5 hours ago, tobben said:

As mentioned above, such wars are strictly

prohibited by the community standards :).

For practical reasons it does make sense

to have them in two sub-sections, granted

they are both active enough. Albeit small,

there are actual differences between the

two after all. 

Its not a war its seeing what people think if they were thought of differently

6 hours ago, typographie said:

I might be missing the point... But if that were the case, how would gaming consoles differ from gaming PCs in living room-friendly form factors that we can buy right now? Every meaningful difference between a console and a gaming PC boils down to the fact that consoles are locked down and proprietary. Take that away, and it's just PC gaming in a smaller case.

That's not to say I'm against the idea. Open ecosystems would be great for all gamers, but apocalyptic for Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo.

Well say someone really doesn't want to bother with any hassle that the pc presents like drivers and update issues with windows and really does like console gaming better, they could switch to Linux and install wine and still do things for school like Word and Xcel. Then they could even play some lower end games that you cant get on console.

And Threads like this shouldn´t be here too.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

If consoles wouldn't have OS restrictions, they've be really good HTPCs. But advantage of consoles to PC is cheap-ish price for hardware, guaranteed high quality of games (mainly good graphics and smooth gameplay) and small physical size. Just having another OS wouldn't make the difference as console games are made for the hardware. And thats the main reason why they compare so well to PC.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv