Upgrading from I7 920 to new high end CPU

Hey :D

I'm seriously starting to think about upgrading my I7 920, or overclocking it but i don't find any tutorial that is quick and really safe to do, anyway this is a temporary solution to my problem which is obviously speed haha the I7 920 is starting to kill me... I mean in windows that's fine i guess.. but when i render videos edits, or for example in planet coaster... as soon as theres some stuff going on i'm having 20-30fps... and now it's about 10fps because i have like 3000guests... like... a still mid sized park...

I would have bought a new gen CPU a while ago if it wasnt of installing everything back again (a lot of softwares... financing, development, video editing, music editing, etc.. I have a studio and website dev..)  because i'll also need a new motherboard and ram... I'm kinda just saying what i'm thinking and hoping for nice ideas from you guys.

Sometimes i feel like it's almost not worth it or maybe worth it, but not that much for a cpu of like 8 years old compared to a new gen when i see videos on youtube about someone using Planet Coaster at the same settings as me but he has a good new cpu and gpu... he is also in the low range fps... Anyway... I'm asking for your thoughts and maybe like if i should wait for a new gen of 2017 maybe? I'm just starting out to research on all this... The last time was when the I7 920 came out... i got it and only upgraded my gpu since then, now i have a gtx1070, it's really nice but its not really a balanced system... Let me know what you think! I'm mostly a multitasking guy + video editing about 1 per week and i play games about 3-4 hours a week sometimes more... I guess if i have to say... I would go for the best but not overkill, money is not really the problem but i don't want to go insane either.

EDIT: Give your best pick for cpu, motherboard and ram considering a gamer and multitasking guy using a gtx1070 curently with ssd and need about 16gb ram minimum ( well if you feel like it ;) )

"Wait for zen"

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

Wait for Ryzen. People waited all 2016 for Zen, 2017 is all about waiting for Ryzen. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, App4that said:

Wait for Ryzen. People waited all 2016 for Zen, 2017 is all about waiting for Ryzen. 

When does ryzen for sale?

Just now, matrixmodulator said:

When does ryzen for sale?

No one knows, why everyone's waiting.

Or get Kabylake, because you can actually buy it. That's Intels new architecture that came out this week. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

No one knows, why everyone's waiting.

Or get Kabylake, because you can actually buy it. That's Intels new architecture that came out this week. 

which better for my case?

1 minute ago, LabRat said:

new cpu means new board too........

yep, i guess you didnt read everything i wrote ;)

1 minute ago, matrixmodulator said:

which better for my case?

Tough call. I'm not you, but what's the budget? 

yep, i guess you didnt read everything i wrote ;)

nope. too much information.

Tough call. I'm not you, but what's the budget? 

Forget about the budget, as long as it's not overkill product that will lost all the value within 6 month lol

I'd say 1500 cad for motherboard ram and cpu?

“When companies say first quarter or first half, people assume that means the very end of that time frame. The very last day of Q1 is not our trajectory.” -Rob Hallok 

from pcworld article- http://www.pcworld.com/article/3155109/computers/new-amd-ryzen-details-revealed-overclocking-crossfire-lineup-info-and-more.html

A 6800k or 6850k would be the best for editing, a 7700k would be the best for gaming and still rock while editing. The 7700k would be a lot cheaper. So my advice is the 7700k. 

2 minutes ago, matrixmodulator said:

Forget about the budget, as long as it's not overkill product that will lost all the value within 6 month lol

I'd say 1500 cad for motherboard ram and cpu?

Ryzen should have GREAT options for that price range... watch ces coverage closely.

A 6800k or 6850k would be the best for editing, a 7700k would be the best for gaming and still rock while editing. The 7700k would be a lot cheaper. So my advice is the 7700k. 

whoa 4.2ghz!!

whoa 4.2ghz!!

The 7700k hits 4.9 to 5,0GHz on average when overclocking. It's a beast. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

The 7700k hits 4.9 to 5,0GHz on average when overclocking. It's a beast. 

holy crap.

Is this really like making it twice as fast as my i7 920 when rendering videos?

It's like 2.6ghz

holy crap.

Is this really like making it twice as fast as my i7 920 when rendering videos?

It's like 2.8ghz

That's the idea, and why I suggest it. 500 bucks us gets you the CPU and a high end board here. Not sure on CAD.

That's the idea, and why I suggest it. 500 bucks us gets you the CPU and a high end board here. Not sure on CAD.

Yeah seems like a good deal so far

Ryzen's top line chip is a similar price range but has x2 core/thread count for video edit/render.