Asus rog PG279Q or PG348Q - Which one?

Greenfeuer

Hello there awesome Linustech folks!

I am planning on getting myself a new screen soon, probably at a month or two. 

So faar the competition is between Asus rog PG279Q or PG348Q. - I prefer if we stick to these two in the topic, other Asus screen who would dwarf them both, however would be welcome :)

My current screen is a Alienware Optx AW2310 23" Wide TFT 120Hz Black. 

So faar I can't really decied since I am usually the one to go for the 120Hz + gaming experience. But after a few reviews and a friend buying the screen, I am getting more and more sold on the PG348Q experience.

I plan on gaming Witcher 3 - Fallout 4 - Skyrim - Warhammer Total War - Battlefield 1 - All those Arkham Batman games - And many other demanding games. 

In general the big RPG action titles.

I like to play FPS alot too "But I am not a counter-strike player, more a Battlefield or such kind of guy", or co-op games and MMORPGS. - But WoW doesn't really require that much.

I am not really sure which of those two monitors would provide me the best gaming experience. I heard rumors the PG279Q had alot of faults, which saddenst me since I was going with that at first, but now I am second guessing. - I found the PG348Q at a pretty nice price too, so money isn't an objection here, and also haven't heard any bad stories/reviews about it. 

With that said! Hope you guys can help me out here in a pinch! - Here is som links below to provide som infomation about the two monitors.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/asus_pg348q_34_rog_swift_monitor_review/4 - Review and display - PG348Q

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/asus_pg279q_rog_swift_monitor_review/1 - Review and display  - PG279Q

And last, a video of both of the monitors side by side.

__________________________________________________ _

My current build:

Monitor: Alienware Optx AW2310 23" Wide TFT 120Hz Black. 

CPU: 5960X

Cooler: Corsair 110i GTX

PSU: Corsair AXi Series AX1500i 80+ Titanium

GPU: Sli 980ti Strix.

Mob: Asus Rampage V Extreme/3.1 USB.

Ram: HyperX Predator 32GB 3000Mhz

System: Samsung pro 1TB

Storage: Western Digital Black 4TB

Drive: Asus Blueray/DvD

Case: NZXT 820 Phantom.

Cablemod - "Red and Black"

14 minutes ago, Greenfeuer said:

Hello there awesome Linustech folks!

I am planning on getting myself a new screen soon, probably at a month or two. 

So faar the competition is between Asus rog PG279Q or PG348Q. - I prefer if we stick to these two in the topic, other Asus screen who would dwarf them both, however would be welcome :)

My current screen is a Alienware Optx AW2310 23" Wide TFT 120Hz Black. 

So faar I can't really decied since I am usually the one to go for the 120Hz + gaming experience. But after a few reviews and a friend buying the screen, I am getting more and more sold on the PG348Q experience.

I plan on gaming Witcher 3 - Fallout 4 - Skyrim - Warhammer Total War - Battlefield 1 - All those Arkham Batman games - And many other demanding games. 

In general the big RPG action titles.

I like to play FPS alot too "But I am not a counter-strike player, more a Battlefield or such kind of guy", or co-op games and MMORPGS. - But WoW doesn't really require that much.

I am not really sure which of those two monitors would provide me the best gaming experience. I heard rumors the PG279Q had alot of faults, which saddenst me since I was going with that at first, but now I am second guessing. - I found the PG348Q at a pretty nice price too, so money isn't an objection here, and also haven't heard any bad stories/reviews about it. 

With that said! Hope you guys can help me out here in a pinch! - Here is som links below to provide som infomation about the two monitors.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/asus_pg348q_34_rog_swift_monitor_review/4 - Review and display - PG348Q

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/asus_pg279q_rog_swift_monitor_review/1 - Review and display  - PG279Q

And last, a video of both of the monitors side by side.

__________________________________________________ _

My current build:

Monitor: Alienware Optx AW2310 23" Wide TFT 120Hz Black. 

CPU: 5960X

Cooler: Corsair 110i GTX

PSU: Corsair AXi Series AX1500i 80+ Titanium

GPU: Sli 980ti Strix.

Mob: Asus Rampage V Extreme/3.1 USB.

Ram: HyperX Predator 32GB 3000Mhz

System: Samsung pro 1TB

Storage: Western Digital Black 4TB

Drive: Asus Blueray/DvD

Case: NZXT 820 Phantom.

Cablemod - "Red and Black"

I'd go for the UW 

I recently got the pg279q and have not been disappointed. I had no issues with the monitor they sent me, and trust me, I was paranoid about it after reading all the poor reviews. Either I was lucky, or ASUS has really stepped up their QC around the holidays.

I almost went with a 4k ultrawide, but I'm glad I didn't because I mostly play FPS games and even with my 1080 SLI I would still be getting lower frames than are desirable at that resolution for FPS games. Since you have 980 SLI, I'd guess you would be dropping below 60FPS in some games. I think 1440p is still the sweet spot for most games and current hardware. That being said, I think ASUS just came out with a press release for their 2017 monitors. You might want to check them out as well: http://rog.asus.com/articles/events/ces-2017-rog-introduces-latest-gaming-monitors/

Thanks for alle the responses so faar! I am still abit puzzled thought! Even more now hehe!

However ultrawide 4k 144Hz may be for hardware at the end of 2017 or something.. Cause it seemse to push the boundries abit, 4K is already demanding enough.

I still got a month or so to decied, but so faar I am betting on the PG348Q, even thought the PG279Q is really nice too.

If people like to show off the screen, or other experience som more it would be most welcomed! :D

I think I am betting my money on the PG348Q, simply due to the pro's and the experience I heard from people seemse to be really running its in favor.

The PG279Q do have many appeals with its 165HZ and all that, but it also seemse to lack quaility control? - And a few other minor downsides.

I think I am sticking with PG348Q So faar atleast. - But there is still a month or so maybe less, until I buy. So people will be welcome to post pictures, write their own experience and aswell review of the two monitors.

Thanks for the comments and infomation given so faar, it has been a very fruitful experience! :D