Using the NAS function on my Netgear router?

Dubesta11

My new Netgear 1750 router has a USB 3.0 slot on the front to hook hard drives up to create a NAS/cloud server. Does anyone have experience with using this feature? I would like to be able to store all my movies on that drive and be able to stream them onto my samsung smart TV, and also get a program on my computer that would automatically back up selected files onto the NAS drive.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

1 minute ago, Dubesta11 said:

My new Netgear 1750 router has a USB 3.0 slot on the front to hook hard drives up to create a NAS/cloud server. Does anyone have experience with using this feature? I would like to be able to store all my movies on that drive and be able to stream them onto my samsung smart TV, and also get a program on my computer that would automatically back up selected files onto the NAS drive.

It does the job for what you expect. Dont expect speed or reliability though.

My native language is C++

Just now, tt2468 said:

It does the job for what you expect. Dont expect speed or reliability though.

Reliability for what? My main concern is automatically backing up my selected files, mainly pictures.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

1 minute ago, Dubesta11 said:

Reliability for what? My main concern is automatically backing up my selected files, mainly pictures.

You have a single drive attached. If it fails, all of your data is gone.

My native language is C++

11 minutes ago, Dubesta11 said:

there known for being annoning to work with and slow. And somethimes stopping working. Id just get a small nas.