CPU fan not spinning

Go to solution Solved by Ryoku,
50 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

Well, the problem is solved as long as AI Suite is active, but i find it strange that the fans will simply stay idle even though the CPU is getting dangerously hot. That should not happen, ever, even if there's no software controlling it. That's why i wanted people to shed some light, i already solved the issue, but i would like to know WHY does the CPU fan stays idle even though the CPU is extremely hot. There should be a default profile, but IDK.

Yea that is pretty weird there should be a default fan profile in your bios that should have taken over when you closed AI Suite, I'm guessing its a conflict with Corsair and Asus' software.

So I've had my PC with an AIO h80i GT cooler for a year now, and i haven't encountered a single issue until today. Since the first boot for my PC, a program called AI Suite 3 has been running in the background at all times, it was recommended by Asus so i figured it was best just to leave it be. My cooler worked perfectly until today, when i decided to close the program. I looked into my PC (glass panel) and saw that the CPU fan wasn't working, don't know about the pump. I figured it was just a fan profile that the program had set, so i thought when the CPU reaches a high temp, the fan will start spinning again. I launched Witcher 3, and just 10 seconds in i saw my CPU temp go from 60 to 80, the fan never started, i closed the game immediately. I reopened the program and went to Fanxpert or something like that and clicked "Standard profile". Looks like the fan is back to normality, but it is extremely unsettling that my CPU fan only works when a certain program is open. 

Please, i would appreciate if someone sheds some light into this issue.

Note that my normal temps were 25-30 at idle, 35-45c at load before the issue. When i closed AI Suite 3 for the first time, my cpu started idling at 60c. Something is clearly wrong here.

AI Suite will be controlling your fans, closing it meant nothing was controlling it so turned it off completely. 

Also sounds like it's controlling the pump, would explain the instant high temps

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

AI Suite will be controlling your fans, closing it meant nothing was controlling it so turned it off completely. 

So it is an obligation to have that program running at all times? What about people that don't even have that program installed? And why does my PC even let me do that if it means my CPU will just fry. 

Just now, MrAlbertrocks said:

So it is an obligation to have that program running at all times? What about people that don't even have that program installed? 

Can set fan speeds through bios, or other programs like speedfan. 

You don't have to have it running, but unless you want to go onto bios and set the fans yourself, or in another program for that matter, it's easier to just leave it. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Umm. Just from past experience there might be a conflict. Corsair does not like AI Suite. They do not play well together.

Usually how the Corsair AIO's work is a locked rpm on the pump (in my case it reported as 2000, or 3000 rpm depending on the profile). And the fans were variable depending on the fan curve I assigned those fans. Please note I did have the fans tied to the pump directly, and the pump was my "cpu fan"

If no fan controller software is used then the fan speeds in this case default to whatever corsair feels like supplying.

Please note my experience is with h100i, and h110i GT's. I haven't used the single 120mm rad solution.

2 hours ago, slightlyjaded said:

Umm. Just from past experience there might be a conflict. Corsair does not like AI Suite. They do not play well together.

Usually how the Corsair AIO's work is a locked rpm on the pump (in my case it reported as 2000, or 3000 rpm depending on the profile). And the fans were variable depending on the fan curve I assigned those fans. Please note I did have the fans tied to the pump directly, and the pump was my "cpu fan"

If no fan controller software is used then the fan speeds in this case default to whatever corsair feels like supplying.

Please note my experience is with h100i, and h110i GT's. I haven't used the single 120mm rad solution.

Well, the problem is solved as long as AI Suite is active, but i find it strange that the fans will simply stay idle even though the CPU is getting dangerously hot. That should not happen, ever, even if there's no software controlling it. That's why i wanted people to shed some light, i already solved the issue, but i would like to know WHY does the CPU fan stays idle even though the CPU is extremely hot. There should be a default profile, but IDK.

50 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

Yea that is pretty weird there should be a default fan profile in your bios that should have taken over when you closed AI Suite, I'm guessing its a conflict with Corsair and Asus' software.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Mine have always ran on every asus board I've ever had. Even with the software off. Is the fan not plugged into the CPU header?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

If I recall correctly with a Corsair AIO, the fans don't even go into the motherboard header. They go into the unit itself. What goes into the motherboard header is what the pump is running at or some other dummy value to keep the system happy and think there's a working fan.

I would uninstall AI Suite first to see if the problem goes away. The software is not required for normal operation.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If I recall correctly with a Corsair AIO, the fans don't even go into the motherboard header. They go into the unit itself. What goes into the motherboard header is what the pump is running at or some other dummy value to keep the system happy and think there's a working fan.

I would uninstall AI Suite first to see if the problem goes away. The software is not required for normal operation.

Think that depends on the model, my H55 for example, the fan and pump plug into motherboard headers.

The i series have the option to plug into the pump. Then using the USB dongle for the link software. But without any info from the op all we can do is assume. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I find this problem intriguing. Sorry you experience it. I bought a "cheap case" which has individual fan controls you can set manually. I like this more, I just plugged my fans into their switches and use that to turn the fan speeds higher or lower. The only fans that are actively controlled are the cpu fan and the power supply. 

I think i may have found the problem. I was running AI Suite 3 and Corsair Link and the same time and they were causing the issue. I've heard that Asus doesn't work well with Corsair, i closed both programs and disabled them at startup, did a full restart and the fan were working properly. I don't know if it was a glitch between both software that was interfering with the default profile in the bios kicking in, but i'm glad it's over. Thanks for the advice :D.

2 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

I think i may have found the problem. I was running AI Suite 3 and Corsair Link and the same time and they were causing the issue. I've heard that Asus doesn't work well with Corsair, i closed both programs and disabled them at startup, did a full restart and the fan were working properly. I don't know if it was a glitch between both software that was interfering with the default profile in the bios kicking in, but i'm glad it's over. Thanks for the advice :D.

I wanna preserve this post in order to show that indeed, your software configuration can be causing issues :3

But good to know you've solved it.

3 hours ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

Yes this is a known issue with Asetek/Corsair AIOs. Other known issues are AIDA64, HWInfo/monitor, and a few others. You can't have any other software monitoring the AIO sensors. There's more info in my signature and on Corsair's forums.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.