Intel Xeon X5650 Processors and Dual CPU Motherboard Advantages

Go to solution Solved by aisle9,
22 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

The 6700k would only be better where you need 8 or less threads.

22 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Dual x5650s are 1300 points in cinebench  where a 6700k is about 1000. So it's faster, but that's best case. For video editing games, 3d modeling, and most uses its slower. 

So basically, what we're arguing about here is that if you need a zillion threads, a dual-Xeon platform makes sense. If you need raw power in applications and can live with eight or fewer threads, an i7 is a more cost-effective and arguably cheaper platform.

...wait, where's the argument again? It sounds like you two are just disagreeing to agree.

I would benefit from a fully modular PSU then. Any suggestions on other hardware for this build? I found the motherboard, case, and will decide on CPU shortly. I don't want to go bankrupt on RAM, but am not sure how much I need. 

I'm just pulling a number out of thin air but maybe 12gb per CPU?

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

9 minutes ago, asand1 said:

I'm just pulling a number out of thin air but maybe 12gb per CPU?

I am going to use a Supermicro X8DTI as a motherboard. I am not sure how to interpret the numbers from the page on their site. It talks about ECC and unbuffered memory. 

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DTi.cfm 

22 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

The 6700k would only be better where you need 8 or less threads.

22 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Dual x5650s are 1300 points in cinebench  where a 6700k is about 1000. So it's faster, but that's best case. For video editing games, 3d modeling, and most uses its slower. 

So basically, what we're arguing about here is that if you need a zillion threads, a dual-Xeon platform makes sense. If you need raw power in applications and can live with eight or fewer threads, an i7 is a more cost-effective and arguably cheaper platform.

...wait, where's the argument again? It sounds like you two are just disagreeing to agree.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.