Does fps capping create more input lag???

Hello everybody,

without much talking straight to the question. Does limiting fps in pc-games create more input lag, or some latency? The main idea is that the game engine pushes for example 200+ fps to the monitor (with a good gpu), the monitor supports for instance 60hz or in best case scenario 144/165hz (fps) so you limit your 200+ fps to 60, 144 or 165 according to your monitor to have smoother gaming experience. Does it mean that by limiting my fps i create some bottleneck towards my game engine and therefore will get some latency or greater input lag in gaming?

I am a bit confused about how this thing exactly works. Could someone explain it, or give some links, advices etc?

Thanks

In my experience, it's good if you have a thermally weak card that would overheat. I don't notice any extra input lag, but it can make for some terrible screen tearing.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

Here you go, this should explain it:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Here you go, this should explain it:

thanks for the video, i saw it already but it doesnt answer my question. is there an official proof that capping fps in games does not create additional input lag or latency in gaming?

1 minute ago, bboysania said:

thanks for the video, i saw it already but it doesnt answer my question. is there an official proof that capping fps in games does not create additional input lag or latency in gaming?

I know that using the Frame Rate Target Control in AMD Crimson settings does create a bit of an input lag, although not nearly as much as V-Sync, so yeah, looks like it does.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Compared to Vsync there should be pretty much no noticeable input lag, however depending on the game it could introduce occasional stutter or screen tearing, although you can try going refresh rate minus one (59, 143, 164) to fix it in some cases.

Theoretical example.. when I say your or you.. I mean anyone/varied hardware.

Just an example.

While your 60hz monitor may limit your eyes ability, Im pretty sure your high pollrate keyboard and mice..may in some way feel better when non-vsync 100-300fps you cant see but feel...is in play.

Compared to non-vsync fps capped 60-62fps.

We have all seen the frametime millisecond graphs for many gpu's.

If 60fps is 16.6ms and you unlock it and your pumping 120fps constant, 8.8ms...

Wouldnt the keyboard/mouse inputs and game engine sync/update faster..?

Ie less input lag?

Is that the Q?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

32 minutes ago, bboysania said:

Hello everybody,

without much talking straight to the question. Does limiting fps in pc-games create more input lag, or some latency? The main idea is that the game engine pushes for example 200+ fps to the monitor (with a good gpu), the monitor supports for instance 60hz or in best case scenario 144/165hz (fps) so you limit your 200+ fps to 60, 144 or 165 according to your monitor to have smoother gaming experience. Does it mean that by limiting my fps i create some bottleneck towards my game engine and therefore will get some latency or greater input lag in gaming?

I am a bit confused about how this thing exactly works. Could someone explain it, or give some links, advices etc?

Thanks

Maybe you wanted something like this?

lag-bf4.png

lag-crysis3.png

lag-csgo.png

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

thanks for these videos i have watched them too. but they unfortunately still dont answer my question: does limiting fps in games give some additional latency or input lag.

9 minutes ago, bboysania said:

thanks for these videos i have watched them too. but they unfortunately still dont answer my question: does limiting fps in games give some additional latency or input lag.

15 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Theoretical example.. when I say your or you.. I mean anyone/varied hardware.

Just an example.

While your 60hz monitor may limit your eyes ability, Im pretty sure your high pollrate keyboard and mice..may in some way feel better when non-vsync 100-300fps you cant see but feel...is in play.

Compared to non-vsync fps capped 60-62fps.

We have all seen the frametime millisecond graphs for many gpu's.

If 60fps is 16.6ms and you unlock it and your pumping 120fps constant, 8.8ms...

Wouldnt the keyboard/mouse inputs and game engine sync/update faster..?

Ie less input lag?

Is that the Q?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 hour ago, bboysania said:

While I'm sure there are theoretical reasons why capping your framerate or using vsync could add a measurable amount of input lag, why not just cap your framerate in a real game and see if doing so added any latency that you can detect? At the end of the day, what matters is that your gameplay experience is up to your own expectations.

19 hours ago, bboysania said:

No for the input lag. Since its the time it takes for signal of keypress (or mouse movement) to travel from device and to be registered by game engine. You won't notice the difference since at 60 or even 24-30fps input lag is 1 (number for reference). Its not any faster the higher fps gets. Fps would need to be really low, like under 20 to have effect on input lag. Most of the time reasons behind it are from other factors.

In my personal opinion it would have major effect on latensy either. We are talking about what you experience more than what really has any effect on gameplay.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv