6pin PCIE to 8 pin adaptor? HELP

Go to solution Solved by TheRandomness,

Sentey PSUs are pretty much explosives. For $50, you can get a Seasonic S12ii 520W which would be perfectly fine for your build. 

Hello forum, this is my first post over here and my first time upgrading my pc. I'm having a little problem with the compatibility of my components

My sistem consists of

a psu sfx-500 500W from sfx technology

a motherboard a55fm2-dgs from asrock

an apu A10 5800k from amd

a gpu RadeonHd 6450 from xfx

2 sticks of kingston 4 gb ddr3 ram

and a 1Tb hard drive from western digital

a couple of weeks ago i decided it was time to upgrade and decided to start from the gpu wich seemed to be the thing dragging my sistem down the most, so i bought a spphire nitro+ radeon rx 480 8gb gddr5. for this i needed to upgrade my psu to something with an 8 pin pcie connector and 500W as minimun acording to the results given from cooler master's psu calculator.
after a long search i finally found a psu thaty would fit my tower(150 width , 200 depth, 85 heigth) max, i belive that is an standar atx , but im not really sure. it is a sentey sty60-ps (that is what the psu says, but i've only found it as bxp600)

however, i've been recently told that this psu delivers about 70%of the sold power so i wasn't so sure if an adaptor from 6 pin to 8 pin would work well with my array.
should i try to get another one with two pcie 6pin connectors or use this to power my rx480 and an adaptor?

To be safe, you should probably find a power supply with the correct cables such out of the box. Using adapters like that usually isn't  recommended, especially since you haven't actually bought one yet.

CPU Intel Core i7-8700k @ 5.0Ghz  GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition  MOBO Asus STRIX Z370-E RAM 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3000Mhz Storage 480GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU Corsair RM650x Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 Case Fractal Design Meshify C

3 minutes ago, Gonzalo Fresu said:

Hello forum, this is my first post over here and my first time upgrading my pc. I'm having a little problem with the compatibility of my components

My sistem consists of

a couple of weeks ago i decided it was time to upgrade and decided to start from the gpu wich seemed to be the thing dragging my sistem down the most, so i bought a spphire nitro+ radeon rx 480 8gb gddr5. for this i needed to upgrade my psu to something with an 8 pin pcie connector and 500W as minimun acording to the results given from cooler master's psu calculator.
after a long search i finally found a psu thaty would fit my tower(150 width , 200 depth, 85 heigth) max, i belive that is an standar atx , but im not really sure. it is a sentey sty60-ps (that is what the psu says, but i've only found it as bxp600)

however, i've been recently told that this psu delivers about 70%of the sold power so i wasn't so sure if an adaptor from 6 pin to 8 pin would work well with my array.
should i try to get another one with two pcie 6pin connectors or use this to power my rx480 and an adaptor?

U can also buy an other PSU that is more Future Proof

3 minutes ago, Gonzalo Fresu said:

My sistem consists of

You do not need to get a new Power Supply. Search 6pin PCI-e to 8pin PCI-e. It won't mean lack of power as the same amount of power is being delivered but just through more points 

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

2 minutes ago, zRinn said:

To be safe, you should probably find a power supply with the correct cables such out of the box. Using adapters like that usually isn't  recommended, especially since you haven't actually bought one yet.

I've been using a 4pin to 6pin adapter for nearly a year and I've been using a 4pin to 8pin adapter for my CPU too. My dad is an electrician and when I asked him he confirmed that the same amount of power is being transferred

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

1 minute ago, EvilCat70 said:

You do not need to get a new Power Supply. Search 6pin PCI-e to 8pin PCI-e. It won't mean lack of power as the same amount of power is being delivered but just through more points 

He is planning to upgrade his rig so u can better buy an new PSU with more power so u don't have to worry about Wattages 

I've been using a 4pin to 6pin adapter for nearly a year and I've been using a 4pin to 8pin adapter for my CPU too. My dad is an electrician and when I asked him he confirmed that the same amount of power is being transferred

2 minutes ago, EvilCat70 said:

You know these standards were created for safety, right? The extra 2 ground points on the 8 pin allow for the whole thing to transfer 150W safely, compared to the 75W of a single 6 pin connector. On a shitty PSU with thin wiring, having the cables catch fire is not an uncommon occurrence. Also, sentey PSUs are actual bombs, so there's another reason to get a new PSU. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Well why would you want to buy something that is out of the box incompatible with the rest of your parts? He hasn't bought the power supply yet, and what I am saying is that he should find one that is already compatible, to avoid extra work and other issues. Also Sentey power supplies are definitely not the best choice for a new power supply, and he should probably go with a more reputable brand with the appropriate connectors.

CPU Intel Core i7-8700k @ 5.0Ghz  GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition  MOBO Asus STRIX Z370-E RAM 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3000Mhz Storage 480GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU Corsair RM650x Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 Case Fractal Design Meshify C

Thanks a lot for the help, i've had acftually alredy bought the psu (sorry for the confusion) because where i live there's little to no variety on computer parts, i'll talk to the guy who sold it to me and try to get a Seasonic S12ii 520W, if its not possible i'll try to use adaptors and cross my fingers..

as soon as i have any of those two done i'll update the post

Edited by Gonzalo Fresu
spelling

UPDATE: i've decided to return the psu to the shop in exchange for store credit, i'll probably use it to buy a heatsink for the cpu, in regards to the psu I bought the seasonic s12ii520 and i'm waiting for it to arrive. I guess it won't have any trouble as i read on jonnyguru.
Thanks again for your help and  i'll try to figure out how to close the topic.