When running programs over a network, does windows copy the app to the local disk and then launch it, or can it launch directly from the SMB Share?

WamWooWam
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Launches it straight from the share.

So I'm in a bit of a predicament, I have a late 2011, i5 iMac with a dead hard drive, I don't have a drive to swap in on hand so I am resorting to using Windows to Go and booting from a flash drive. Issue is, the flash drive has terrible random write/read speeds and it is painfully slow to use. I can't use a different drive as it's the only one I've got that's large enough, and I can't put a drive in the iMac right now, so I'm wondering.

If i run an app through a network share, does it copy it to a local disk before running it? If it doesn't, which I doubt, it would be exceptionally useful as my network is faster than this flash drive, if it doesn't I'm just adding more latency to the process. And if it does copy the executable, does it also copy any other files the executable accesses? Again, network faster than drive.

Anyone have any ideas?

Failed to load signature. Error 404 - Witty comment not found

I believe it launches it directly from the source.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Well that's exceptionally useful. I'll be making good use of that then.

Failed to load signature. Error 404 - Witty comment not found