I want to upgrade my CPU

So I am looking to upgrade my i5 4440 (currently combined with a 1070) so I can get extra performance out of CPU based games like Arma or DayZ. Should the i7 7700k be my go-to or is there another CPU around that price I should wait for? Thanks 

What is 7700k's price? I think we still don't know how much they gonna cost..

3 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

So I am looking to upgrade my i5 4440 (currently combined with a 1070) so I can get extra performance out of CPU based games like Arma or DayZ. Should the i7 7700k be my go-to or is there another CPU around that price I should wait for? Thanks 

try to go skylake probably

Just be patient and wait for Zen. If AMD is not lying it should deliver great performance matching the current intel line for a smaller price. 

11 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

Going by this ARMA 3 only uses 4 threads, although I'd still suggest an i7 7700K so that you get a real upgrade and won't need to replace it, getting an i7 in general will help with minimum frame rates

but a kaby lake i5 at 5hz should be able to do 60fps no issue

did ARMA 3 ever get updated to use 8 threads?
CPU_03.png

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

5 minutes ago, TheLegend 27 said:

Just be patient and wait for Zen. If AMD is not lying it should deliver great performance matching the current intel line for a smaller price. 

Would there be any general disadvantages to buying a CPU from AMD versus an intel CPU? Because I've always kind of stuck with nvidia and intel products after a bad experience with a AMD GPU

2 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

Would there be any general disadvantages to buying a CPU from AMD versus an intel CPU? Because I've always kind of stuck with nvidia and intel products after a bad experience with a AMD GPU

AMD GPUs in the mid range are a better atm IMO

Ryzen Should be on par with Intel's IPC finally, although now that Kaby Lake reviews are out, they easily hit 5ghz

although AMD will probably still offer their chips at prices lower than intels, but Ryzen won't be out for a while

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

AMD GPUs in the mid range are a better atm IMO

Ryzen Should be on par with Intel's IPC finally, although now that Kaby Lake reviews are out, they easily hit 5ghz

although AMD will probably still offer their chips at prices lower than intels, but Ryzen won't be out for a while

I though "zen" was the name of their new CPUs.

3 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

I though "zen" was the name of their new CPUs.

It's Ryzen now
They had a whole event, showed it doing workstation tasks, running dota while streaming, it was keeping up with intel's 8 core/16 thread CPU at a slightly higher clock, the Ryzen chip was at 3.4ghz if I remember right

Although intel still has the superior litho process for bit less power consumption and potentially higher clocks

There was a rumor about Zen hitting 5ghz as well, which I don't know, they already have the FX 9xxx chip that hits 5ghz so maybe

When were you going to buy the parts?

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

It's Ryzen now
They had a whole event, showed it doing workstation tasks, running dota while streaming, it was keeping up with intel's 8 core/16 thread CPU at a slightly higher clock, the Ryzen chip was at 3.4ghz if I remember right

Although intel still has the superior litho process for bit less power consumption and potentially higher clocks

There was a rumor about Zen hitting 5ghz as well, which I don't know, they already have the FX 9xxx chip that hits 5ghz so maybe

When were you going to buy the parts?

Around March or April when I have the money. I want to go all out if I'm upgrading to a high end CPU with 500 U.S. dollars being my budget for the CPU and then 200 dollars for the motherboard and RAM. I'll also get some of the money back once I sell old parts 

10 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

Around March or April when I have the money. I want to go all out if I'm upgrading to a high end CPU with 500 U.S. dollars being my budget for the CPU and then 200 dollars for the motherboard and RAM. I'll also get some of the money back once I sell old parts 

Not much point in speculating now since Ryzen will be out by then, just wait and see, they might show something at their Vega announcement in a few days

Spoiler