Ubisoft drops Uplay Passport

nicehat

Ubisoft announced today that Uplay Passport program has been discontinued and will no longer be apart of the company;s future titles going foreward. 

If any of you are unfamiliar, Uplay is designed to stop second hand game purchases from accessing online features without purchasing a onetime access code. 

"The Uplay Passport program was initiated as a means of giving customers full access and support for online multiplayer and features, along with exclusive content, bonuses and rewards," Ubisoft Communication Manager Gary Steinman posted on the official UbiBlog. "However, games today are blurring the line between offline and online, between what is “single player” and what is “multiplayer.” Based on that and on the feedback we received from you, we recognized that Passport is no longer the best approach for ensuring that all our customers have the best possible experience with all facets of our games."

So, my fellow neanderthal linked non-homunculuses, What do you think of this news? I feel that this is great! Ubisoft is paving the way back into the good with this news

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-01-ubisoft-ditches-uplay-passport-after-assassins-creed-4-furore

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Good news, even EA did the same thing.

Really? So I can go back to buying old sports games from them and get online functionality with no additional cost? If so, this is fantastic

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Origin and Uplay should just move to Steam and concentrate on JUST making good quality games lol. and anyway with SteamBox coming out soonish (Hopefully) they will end up losing out on ALLOT of sales...

Character artist in the Games industry.

Hopefully they drop uPlay altogether and put their games onto Steam.

exacctllyy it's worse than origin

Yay for progess!! :)

Hopefully they drop uPlay altogether and put their games onto Steam.

Thats the goal really (well at least the gamers goal, should be their goal tbh)

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I'm not going to debate what is worse as not one of the services is perfect but Steam is pretty damn close in my eyes.

if only every game was on steam

if only every game was on steam

No that would be quite awful. What would be awesome is if every game was on GOG.

No that would be quite awful. What would be awesome is if every game was on GOG.

why would that be awful

How is DRM free content awful?

i didn't say that it's awful lol read properly man. i asked why all games on steam would be awful.

i didn't say that it's awful lol read properly man. i asked why all games on steam would be awful.

DRM. Good old Games lets you download the game with no client or anything, just an exe that you can install anywhere.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

DRM. Good old Games lets you download the game with no client or anything, just an exe that you can install anywhere.

i know what GOG is but it still doesn't answer my question.. DRM isn't that bad

If DRM has to exist then Steam is probably the way to do it, but no DRM is better than any DRM.

why is no drm better

why is no drm better

Urgh...

Paranoia, mainly. Who's to say Valve won't go bankrupt tomorrow or some strange disaster results in all of their servers disappearing or getting erased, and suddenly I can never log back in again. Even if I can, my games may not be there, and hundreds of dollars might as well have been burned.

That's extreme, of course, but the bigger issue is whether or not you own your game. If I have to check in with Steam every time I want to play, do I actually own it? Am I just renting it in the long run? With Good old Games, I can put it on a hard drive or 3 and never have to worry about losing it. Also a little extreme, but that's where my thinking stands. I don't think anything is going to happen to Valve for at least a few decades, and I'm fine to have my 140+ games on Steam, but it's still DRM, and no DRM is always better than any DRM.

Urgh...

Paranoia, mainly. Who's to say Valve won't go bankrupt tomorrow or some strange disaster results in all of their servers disappearing or getting erased, and suddenly I can never log back in again. Even if I can, my games may not be there, and hundreds of dollars might as well have been burned.

That's extreme, of course, but the bigger issue is whether or not you own your game. If I have to check in with Steam every time I want to play, do I actually own it? Am I just renting it in the long run? With Good old Games, I can put it on a hard drive or 3 and never have to worry about losing it. Also a little extreme, but that's where my thinking stands. I don't think anything is going to happen to Valve for at least a few decades, and I'm fine to have my 140+ games on Steam, but it's still DRM, and no DRM is always better than any DRM.

but you can back-up your games to any hard drive anyway, i'm pretty sure steam lets you do that

but you can back-up your games to any hard drive anyway, i'm pretty sure steam lets you do that

You still have to log in to play them. Sure, I can play in offline mode, but if I logged out I'd need internet again to be able to access the library.

You still have to log in to play them. Sure, I can play in offline mode, but if I logged out I'd need internet again to be able to access the library.

it lets you save the raw files just like GOG