How to open and MOD EK-Vardar F3-120 PC fans

These fans are among the top tier radiator fans and really liked by PC water cooling enthusiasts. (May be not)

IF u want to relax watch the video, IF u want complete guide then follow the guide 

Thats HOW it was done

Fan specs:
Mechanical and electrical specifications:-
Speed: 1850 rpm (+/- 10%)-
Rated Voltage: 12V DC-
Power Draw: 1.44W- PWM
Connector: 4-pin PWM header
Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 25 mm
Performance characteristics:-
Max Air Flow: 63 CFM
Noise Level: 29.5 dBA

Requirements for this MOD

2 Needles
Any glue cleaner or few drops of petrol
Tape
Spray paint
Cloth for cleaning and drying
A small bowl to clean the fan blades
A small box to keep tiny parts of fans ( Its imp )

IMAG0278.jpgIMAG0280.jpg

Step 1: Removing the fan blades

IMAG0281.jpgIMAG0283.jpgIMAG0282.jpg

• Remove the sticker at the back of the fan
  • Get 2 needles and place em between the oval shaped gaped present on the black metal clip ( See pic one for reference )
  • Now move these pins apart like you are trying to open that clip.
  • When the clip is stretched apart enough the pin comes off mostly by itself as the spring between the bearings pushes it.
  • It might sound a bit complex but just stretch that clip apart by placing needles in that oval portion and rest will be done by fan 
  • Once you have that pin removed the blade can be pulled.
  • After pulling the blade remove the bearings and the spring. Its really simple use needle to pull out bearings
  • Once all the things are pulled place them in a small box like i did. These things are tiny and if lost on floor will be really hard to find.
  • Repeat the steps for other fans(s).

Step 2: Cleaning

IMAG0286.jpgIMAG0287.jpgIMAG0288.jpg

• Clean the sticker remnants by scraping off by nails or use some plastic thing. Dnt use metal it will scratch the plastic.
  • To clean the glue left by sticker use petrol/wd-40 or any other cleaner like these having acetone in it. Even perfumes / body sprays can be used.
  • After all that take a bowl, fill it with water and mix some washing detergent in it.
  • Put the blades ( only ) in the solution for 2-5 min and then rotate them in there to make sure all the dirt is clean.
  • Now run some fresh water over the blades and dry em.

Step 3: Masking for painting

IMAG0289.jpgIMAG0292.jpg

• Tape the small holes at the fan top.
  • I used a less wider tape and covered the fans from inside ( see pics for reference )
  • Then used a wider tape to cover the whole magnet area.
  • Use a blade to cut the access tape

Step 4: Painting and Results

IMAG0298.jpgIMAG0300.jpgIMAG0303.jpgIMAG0304.jpg

• Make sure that masking is done properly.
  • Spray outside use mask too as aerosol spray cans have a really bad smell.
  • Shake the can well for 2-3 mins
  • Maintain a distance of .7-1 foot from the object while painting
  • Spray in a rhythm and keep the can moving like a car windshield wiper moves.
  • Keep your layers of paint as thin as possible and rest 5-8 min after every layer.
  •  
  • After painting let it dry for 24 hrs and clean once with a clean cloth to remove dust.
  • Assemble back ( I dnt think u will need a guide to do that now )
  • Enjoy

Sorry about the low quality pics :P

nice tut,

fyi, if you use a hair dryer the sticker will peel right off so you can reuse it :P

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

52 minutes ago, wildthing said:

nice tut,

fyi, if you use a hair dryer the sticker will peel right off so you can reuse it :P

Thanks for the tip. Next time i will do that. Even the friend i did this mod for said all is good but sticker should have been there :P