PC upgrade

sprunk

HI guys. I am looking to upgrade soon just wondering where I should put my money.

At the moment this is what I have. 3570k/ 8 GB ram GTX970

I was thinking about upgrading to a second hand 3770k and 16GB Ram and getting a GTX 1070.

Does this sound like a good idea? Or would there be a huge improvement to start from scratch with new mobo,cpu etc.

I would want it to last for a while before upgrading again.

Any ideas.

Thanks

For the start get 8 more gb of ram and a gpu. If you notice huge bottleneck then get an i 7

34 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

How much will that 3770k cost you? 

Probably about $300 Australian.

37 minutes ago, sprunk said:

Probably about $300 Australian.

Feels expensive for a used, and old i7. 

But I don't think buying a new motherboard/ram/CPU would be worth it either. if you can get a better price on the i7 thats not a bad idea. 

i7 6700k is only about 20% better than the i7 3770k, but you can close the gap a bit if you buy a decent cooler and overclock. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

6 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Feels expensive for a used, and old i7. 

But I don't think buying a new motherboard/ram/CPU would be worth it either. if you can get a better price on the i7 thats not a bad idea. 

i7 6700k is only about 20% better than the i7 3770k, but you can close the gap a bit if you buy a decent cooler and overclock. 

Yeah it is a bit expensive though that seems to be about what they go for here. I might try to haggle a bit. As for the cooler I already have a Noctua.

6 minutes ago, sprunk said:

Yeah it is a bit expensive though that seems to be about what they go for here. I might try to haggle a bit. As for the cooler I already have a Noctua.

Nice, I'd go with that and 16gb kit. wait for the next generation of GPU's, getting a 1070 isnt worth it if you already have a 970. wait for the 11x series or whichever will be next. 

Unless you really want to spend money. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

1 hour ago, Megah3rtz said:

Nice, I'd go with that and 16gb kit. wait for the next generation of GPU's, getting a 1070 isnt worth it if you already have a 970. wait for the 11x series or whichever will be next. 

Unless you really want to spend money. 

Ok. Thanks might start looking for a cheap 3770k.

IMO, not worth the price to upgrade to a 3770K, I would just upgrade to 16 GB of RAM for now and maybe buy a new GPU after Vega comes out. Even if you plan on buying Nvidea, wait for Vega as all GPU prices will fall by a significant amount. Another option would be to SLI another 970 if you don't mind the power draw.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

8 minutes ago, RyanMacRocks said:

IMO, not worth the price to upgrade to a 3770K, I would just upgrade to 16 GB of RAM for now and maybe buy a new GPU after Vega comes out. Even if you plan on buying Nvidea, wait for Vega as all GPU prices will fall by a significant amount. Another option would be to SLI another 970 if you don't mind the power draw.

I am planning to sell my 3570k to cover the cost of upgrading the CPU. Will wait a bit longer for GPU upgrade. 

Just now, sprunk said:

I am planning to sell my 3570k to cover the cost of upgrading the CPU. Will wait a bit longer for GPU upgrade. 

Not a bad idea, however I wouldn't spend more than $80 after selling your 3570k though, because hyperthreading doesn't make too big of a difference in games. Will help if you ever plan on editing video though.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

1 minute ago, RyanMacRocks said:

Not a bad idea, however I wouldn't spend more than $80 after selling your 3570k though, because hyperthreading doesn't make too big of a difference in games. Will help if you ever plan on editing video though.

Ok cool. I do want to do some stuff in Blender so it may help there. Do you think its a good idea to upgrade my psu at the same time. Its a Seasonic,650w I think its about 4.5 years old?

1 minute ago, sprunk said:

Ok cool. I do want to do some stuff in Blender so it may help there. Do you think its a good idea to upgrade my psu at the same time. Its a Seasonic,650w I think its about 4.5 years old?

I wouldn't, your PSU is more than enough and should last you a few more years at the least. And it should help quite a bit in Blender.

29 minutes ago, RyanMacRocks said:

I wouldn't, your PSU is more than enough and should last you a few more years at the least. And it should help quite a bit in Blender.

Ok cool. Thanks