Modem and a router or just both in one?

batatas

Hi i am thinking on making a server to store files but i need something better than my router it is a 50mb router its enouth for my slow internet but its not enough for transfer files from my ssd on my pc to the ssds on the server so i am thinking on upgrade my router the problem is i am not a network expert and i dont know of should buy a modem and a router or buy a all in one the one i have is from the isp yes i know but it is both the modem and the router should i buy like the same both in one unit or should i buy a modem and a router?

BTW recomendations on what should i buy would be great i just need 1 gb ports and a good wireless speed for when i need to transfer some files from the laptop to the server.

Who is your ISP? Regardless of which direction you choose they generally have a list of compatible modems or combo units that they will allow on your network so we'll need to know who you get your internet from first.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, batatas said:

Hi i am thinking on making a server to store files but i need something better than my router it is a 50mb router its enouth for my slow internet but its not enough for transfer files from my ssd on my pc to the ssds on the server so i am thinking on upgrade my router the problem is i am not a network expert and i dont know of should buy a modem and a router or buy a all in one the one i have is from the isp yes i know but it is both the modem and the router should i buy like the same both in one unit or should i buy a modem and a router?

BTW recomendations on what should i buy would be great i just need 1 gb ports and a good wireless speed for when i need to transfer some files from the laptop to the server.

I always recommend using the ISP provided device as a standalone modem, and buying your own router. 

Especially for beginners (even I use them at home, and I consider myself an advanced user), I recommend using some of Dlink's routers, the DIR-820L and DIR-825L have both done well for me over a couple years of use. Their interface is well documented, laid out logically, and easy to work with. It even has an app if you want simpler setup, and they are well-priced.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

10 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

I always recommend using the ISP provided device as a standalone modem, and buying your own router. 

Especially for beginners (even I use them at home, and I consider myself an advanced user), I recommend using some of Dlink's routers, the DIR-820L and DIR-825L have both done well for me over a couple years of use. Their interface is well documented, laid out logically, and easy to work with. It even has an app if you want simpler setup, and they are well-priced.

Hum ok i should be able to disable the wireless of the existing router/modem and connect a new router to the original one

14 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Who is your ISP? Regardless of which direction you choose they generally have a list of compatible modems or combo units that they will allow on your network so we'll need to know who you get your internet from first.

Well that may be a problem my isp is meo i am from Portugal i dont know if you cant work with that

I work for some ISPs here in the states and I personally hate all in one modem/router combo's. Majority of them use very low end components causing frequent loss of signal, dropped packets, issues with routing etc.. your best bet would be to get a modem and a separate router. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 hours ago, batatas said:

Well that may be a problem my isp is meo i am from Portugal i dont know if you cant work with that

2 hours ago, batatas said:

Hum ok i should be able to disable the wireless of the existing router/modem and connect a new router to the original one

Yeah, ask your ISP, or find your modem's model number and look in the manual or online for instructions on how to enable "bridge mode". That is what you're looking for.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

1 hour ago, tarfeef101 said:

Yeah, ask your ISP, or find your modem's model number and look in the manual or online for instructions on how to enable "bridge mode". That is what you're looking for.

Ok thanks man