Games load faster with SSD

Go to solution Solved by Praesi,

DA:I load alot faster. 

Anyone knows or experienced games that load faster with SSD? 

anyway I have a 240gb ssd and only fill it up with important games that load faster with ssd and so far been saving space too much so only have cs go and windows os in there. Cause I keep thinking should I put this on SSD and then no maybe not it's not needed. So fir games I have

All Valve games (all cs, all l4d, all half life 2, all portal) 

Rocket League

BF3

Tomb Raider

Borderlands 2

Dirt 3, Grid, Nfs hot pursuit

MOH and MOH warfighter yes! 

Mirrors edge and me catalyst

Metro 2033

Metro last light redux

I will respond tomorrow just leaving this post here ti get sime replies b4 going to bed. Make sure games must load significantly faster than HDD. And no, I am not installing every game I have to test and then remove, internet not allowing. So far been told L4D2 has no impact on SSD

Specs: i5 4460, soon to be srrived 480 4gb, 8gb ram, 2 and 1 tb hdd, sandisk ultra ii 240gb ssd

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I will respond tomorrow just leaving this post here ti get sime replies b4 going to bed. Make sure games must load significantly faster than HDD. And no, I am not installing every game I have to test and then remove, internet not allowing. So far been told L4D2 has no impact on SSD

The only games that really are faster with SSD afaik are Batman games and GTA V.

I have all the games you mentioned minus a few.

The ones I do have from your list, the HDD loading times are absolutely fine

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I had a HDD with BF3 on it right sometime after it was released, and was right when I bought a SSD, and tried to put on it.

Usually I was one of the first on the map, despite BF3 making you wait for X amount of players, even tho Usually I was running to flags as soon as the required number of players matched...

1 minute ago, Mauv said:

I had a HDD with BF3 on it right sometime after it was released, and was right when I bought a SSD, and tried to put on it.

Usually I was one of the first on the map, despite BF3 making you wait for X amount of players, even tho Usually I was running to flags as soon as the required number of players matched...

Multiplayer games usually do this sort of thing where they make players wait until all players have joined.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Games like Fallout where you have to load/travel/open doors very often greatly benefit from SSDs. But the battlefield series as well.

If you run a Perfmon you could track the IO and disk queue times to see if you are hitting limits on the HDD.  If the game is storing data that is optimized for sequential read then it should run fine on the HDD, granted you are not seeing issues with latency (this is would generally be determined by your seek times and rotational speeds).  If you see a lot of random reads then move it to the SSDs.  

2 minutes ago, sun2 said:

Games like Fallout where you have to load/travel/open doors very often greatly benefit from SSDs. But the battlefield series as well.

Not so much the Battlefield series/franchise. The only other game which behaves similar to this is GTA V but of course it's a little bit of wishful thinking to ask for an almost 70GB game to be put on an SSD.

13 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not so much the Battlefield series/franchise. The only other game which behaves similar to this is GTA V but of course it's a little bit of wishful thinking to ask for an almost 70GB game to be put on an SSD.

Yeah I'm honestly thinking about getting another ssd just to put gta 5 on because the load times for online is quite long. 

The only game ive noticed it have a really massive difference in is GTAV when swapping characters, the time difference is massive

Edit: To the person above me, the long load times in GTA Online are more so about waiting for the servers to respond and allocate an individual Los Santos for you and not so much about shortcomings in your hardware. 

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

6 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

The only game ive noticed it have a really massive difference in is GTAV when swapping characters, the time difference is massive

Edit: To the person above me, the long load times in GTA Online are more so about waiting for the servers to respond and allocate an individual Los Santos for you and not so much about shortcomings in your hardware. 

GTA V costs too much for me lol

8 hours ago, PCGeek said:

If you run a Perfmon you could track the IO and disk queue times to see if you are hitting limits on the HDD.  If the game is storing data that is optimized for sequential read then it should run fine on the HDD, granted you are not seeing issues with latency (this is would generally be determined by your seek times and rotational speeds).  If you see a lot of random reads then move it to the SSDs.  

Did not know that. Seems helpful

8 hours ago, sun2 said:

No Fallout for me. There was New Vegas and Fallout 3 for sale but I got Metro Last Light Redux instead. Seems more interesting

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

The only games that really are faster with SSD afaik are Batman games and GTA V.

I have all the games you mentioned minus a few.

The ones I do have from your list, the HDD loading times are absolutely fine

Borderlands 2 maybe anyone? Forgot to mention I have Crysis 3 too

On ‎2‎-‎1‎-‎2017 at 10:57 AM, AluminiumTech said:

Not so much? The differences between an HDD and SSD are insane :P 

Just now, sun2 said:

Not so much? The differences between an HDD and SSD are insane :P 

Both of which I do not own. Only Bf3 lol

Those were merely examples for the other guy.

Yeah and BF3 thats the only game on your list that benefits from an SSD. And perhaps Metro, not sure about that game, but i think it has a lot of rooms and loading right?

Fo4 load time improve A LOT, its almost 3x faster.

Witcher 3 loads faster, maybe 50%.

Havent tested other games

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

DA:I load alot faster. 

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO