Question about movies with Atmos and DTS:X

Howdy,

I recently bought a custom 5.1.2 setup, bought about 30 blu-rays that I enjoyed and noticed something, some movies don't come with Atmos nor DTS:X, I know the list of movies that have them, I checked Dolby's website, for example: Gravity is supposed to have Atmos but for me it only has DTS:HD Master Audio. Atmos movies were made available to home theatres after what, 2015? I only have 3 movies that have Atmos, Mad Max: Fury Road, Warcraft and Suicide Squad. No movies with DTS:X for now.

So my question is, is this a region thing? Some movie regions have it and others don't? I am in Europe, region B/2, I buy movies in my country and on Amazon UK.

Thanks in advance and happy new year!

2 hours ago, Ferrera said:

Howdy,

I recently bought a custom 5.1.2 setup, bought about 30 blu-rays that I enjoyed and noticed something, some movies don't come with Atmos nor DTS:X, I know the list of movies that have them, I checked Dolby's website, for example: Gravity is supposed to have Atmos but for me it only has DTS:HD Master Audio. Atmos movies were made available to home theatres after what, 2015? I only have 3 movies that have Atmos, Mad Max: Fury Road, Warcraft and Suicide Squad. No movies with DTS:X for now.

So my question is, is this a region thing? Some movie regions have it and others don't? I am in Europe, region B/2, I buy movies in my country and on Amazon UK.

Thanks in advance and happy new year!

In my experience, it's been more of a middle finger thing. Some studios have said they will only release object based sound on UHD versions.

The other thing I can think of is that you may need to select the Atmos/DTSX track from the language selection, but this is sort of unlikely. However some blu rays come this way, for example Finding Dory and Pacific Rim default to 5.1 even though the 7.1 track is included.

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

In my experience, it's been more of a middle finger thing. Some studios have said they will only release object based sound on UHD versions.

The other thing I can think of is that you may need to select the Atmos/DTSX track from the language selection, but this is sort of unlikely. However some blu rays come this way, for example Finding Dory and Pacific Rim default to 5.1 even though the 7.1 track is included.

Ah yes, I heard of the soundtrack thing. But regardless, it's confusing how they execute this really...

4 minutes ago, Ferrera said:

Ah yes, I heard of the soundtrack thing. But regardless, it's confusing how they execute this really...

Atmos, DTSX, HDR10, Dolby Vision, UHD Discs, streaming content... yeah... all understanding and compatibility has gone downhill. Add in selective features provided by some tv manufacturers, different features supported by studios, different features supported by Netflix, etc.