Why does bezel exist?

JLCitadel

Like Sevilla said, just answer the damn question, and stop being such an asshole. It doesn't matter if the title is correct or not. Not everyone are pros at spelling and writing, and mistakes are human. Just like how you accidentally repeated the word me in a post you just made. Just like how I'm not the greatest at english. Well, guess why? I'm 15, and I'm swedish, so yeah, this post may not be good enough for you, maybe it's not grammatically correct. I bet it isn't, but who honestly gives a damn? As long as you can understand what a person is saying, it's all good!

To be honest, i do. Many others do as well, we just tolerate. But we don't tolerate people defending poor grammar - because all it takes is a little effort.

All the bloody idiots who are uneducated going around using 'there' as their and 'you're' as your is seriously a complete freaking eyesore, straight up left-right and center. I don't have problem with people who genuinely are amateurs are English but basic errors for clarity can always be easily mitigated - how you express yourself shows alot about your character.

And nope, English is my second language, Mandarin is my first. I live in Singapore.

Anti-Derail statement: I don't know personally[Glenwing/Goodbytes have good answers], but i am interested for ultra-thin bezel consumer monitors to be available soon.

Try out a 3 monitor setup then come back to me on hoe much you like bezels

Ha!, yea i did think about that, hopefully one day i will be rich enough to have that problem  :P

The ignorant will show ignorance in everything.

What I stated was close to impossible without a lot of experience and knowledge, so good luck and refer to my my previous statement to understand why.

Don't argue with the ignorant ones. It's not worth your time :)

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

perfectly legit question and then you ruined it with this discussion about grammar...

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

perfectly legit question and then you ruined it with this discussion about grammar...

Agreed. Dislike. I come to this forum to learn a little something and then find some asshole has gone off on somebody. Not what I want to waste my time reading about.

If Maskot really wanted to help this guy out then he would have private messaged him suggesting some things to fix, but nope.

CPU i7 970 |  COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper N520 | Ram: 12GB DDR3 1333 GPU: GTX 560Ti | Mobo: EVGA Classified 3 | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | Boot Drive: 120GB OCZ Vertex | Games Drive: 2TB WD Green | OS: Windows 7 | Monitors: 40in Samsung LN40A650, 2x 24in Samsung T240HD

Stop the off topic discussion please.

I don't see how it's necessary to be rude and obnoxious to someone about something completely unrelated just to sate your undying need for attention that you lack in the real world. & Actually no, my statement was correct.

What possible electronics are there behind it? & what prevents them from being move to be directly behind the panel? (could they not just use a stronger panel material to prevent torque? I'm sure there's panel material that's stronger then plastic? Or is it because it's so wide/tall that the size/thickness would cause a warp without a separate object maintaining balance?

There is an entire plane of transistors that control the movement of the liquid crystals inside every individual sub-pixel on the monitor.  To connect and send signals to these transistors to change the colors on the panel, it is very impractical to have a straight connection leading to every transistor (over 6 million sub-pixels with a transistor on a 1080p screen).  Instead, there is a grid of connection lines that run across all the transistors in a row or in a column.  Electronics are positioned along one of the sides, to send signals by row, and along the top or bottom, to send signals by column.  To control a transistor, the monitor processor will select a row and a column, and the transistor that is at the intersection of those two will be controlled, and the sub-pixel attached to that transistor will change color depending on the voltage applied.  So, these electronics that allow signalling down rows or columns need to be wired up at the edge.

As for torque, it is just a matter of physics, if you have a very large, thin rectangular frame, it will not be rigid, even if it were made of steel.  Even a full sheet of steel can be flexed.  It's not quite a matter of finding a "stronger material" simply because for a long and flat object, resisting force at the edge perpendicular to the plane of the object, is the worst possible scenario to resist bending.

In any case, the frame is still there to protect from impact, and you also need at least some amount of seal around the edge just to keep the backlight from shining out of all the edges as well.

Stop the off topic discussion please.

There is an entire plane of transistors that control the movement of the liquid crystals inside every individual sub-pixel on the monitor.  To connect and send signals to these transistors to change the colors on the panel, it is very impractical to have a straight connection leading to every transistor (over 6 million sub-pixels with a transistor on a 1080p screen).  Instead, there is a grid of connection lines that run across all the transistors in a row or in a column.  Electronics are positioned along one of the sides, to send signals by row, and along the top or bottom, to send signals by column.  To control a transistor, the monitor processor will select a row and a column, and the transistor that is at the intersection of those two will be controlled, and the sub-pixel attached to that transistor will change color depending on the voltage applied.  So, these electronics that allow signalling down rows or columns need to be wired up at the edge.

As for torque, it is just a matter of physics, if you have a very large, thin rectangular frame, it will not be rigid, even if it were made of steel.  Even a full sheet of steel can be flexed.  It's not quite a matter of finding a "stronger material" simply because for a long and flat object, resisting force at the edge perpendicular to the plane of the object, is the worst possible scenario to resist bending.

In any case, the frame is still there to protect from impact, and you also need at least some amount of seal around the edge just to keep the backlight from shining out of all the edges as well.

Alright clarifies what I already assumed. Thank you for your help.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 4 years later...

Thanks for sharing guys, I was really curious about the bezel sizes on MacBooks and why they were as large as they are. Good information here if you read between the juvenile superiority complexes people seem to have when it comes to grammar

P.s. even if you're right about intelligence and grammar going hand-in-hand, which you're not, it's nevertheless wrong to harass and bully someone for being less intelligent. We don't fully control our intelligence, it's a trait like any other.

11 minutes ago, emmyarty said:

Thanks for sharing guys, I was really curious about the bezel sizes on MacBooks and why they were as large as they are. Good information here if you read between the juvenile superiority complexes people seem to have when it comes to grammar

P.s. even if you're right about intelligence and grammar going hand-in-hand, which you're not, it's nevertheless wrong to harass and bully someone for being less intelligent. We don't fully control our intelligence, it's a trait like any other.

dude you just revived a post from 2013, most people you reply to are probably not even on the forum anymore.

1 hour ago, Pixel5 said:

dude you just revived a post from 2013, most people you reply to are probably not even on the forum anymore.

Oh man, sorry dude. Arrived via Google and apparently I paid no attention. I normally try not to introduce myself to new folk by necro'ing stuff from the bronze age.

:-|

Hi.

1 hour ago, emmyarty said:

Oh man, sorry dude. Arrived via Google and apparently I paid no attention. I normally try not to introduce myself to new folk by necro'ing stuff from the bronze age.

:-|

Hi.

Hi,

you shall be forgiven, we just let this post die again and pretend it never happened.