Why does bezel exist?

JLCitadel

Why does bezel on monitors exist?.. Like.. Can't the screen just be the edge of it..? I know nothing about this. So enlightenment time :)

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you can it pick up and move the monitor without damaging the LCD panel.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Protection really.. and to annoy you to death

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

So you can it pick up and move the monitor without damaging the LCD panel.

Seriously? -_-.... Then ship it with a stand attached ffs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Check that grammar to not sound ignorant but instead curious.
2. To protect it from people who are not careful.
3. If you need to, you can take the screen out of the housing and then out of the metal sheath and make your own housing with the monitor all the way to the edge.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

3. If you need to, you can take the screen out of the housing and then out of the metal sheath and make your own housing with the monitor all the way to the edge.

Couldn't care less about grammar

& I think I'm gunna learn how to do that.

The ignorant will show ignorance in everything.

What I stated was close to impossible without a lot of experience and knowledge, so good luck and refer to my my previous statement to understand why.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

LCD panels are very delicate.  The bezel is there not only to protect the display from direct impact on the edges, but also for structural rigidity to protect the panel from torque.  There are also electronics behind the panel that extend past the pixel grid in some places.

you couldn't care less? so you actually care to some extent then? is there some reason you can't care less than you already do?

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I could have not said it better myself, Glenwing.

There exists LCD panel without borders (well 1 to 3 mm). They are mostly used on something called Video walls. Where you have many of them in a row.

It's mostly used in commercial spaces. They cost a lot to produce, and also they are more fragile, and not designed to be manipulated once installed.

If his on the side, the entire screen will crack as it is a sandwich of glass (except the front most layer, which is a plastic coating).

The display must also survive transportation to the store and by the client. Video walls are always installed by the monitor manufacture as it's delicate, or by a an affiliate company, or by a trained staff and certified company (for example a company putting these displays to show ads). That is why, when you want to check the price of a Video wall screen, you need to request a quote.

You can see Video wall in action at a Microsoft Store.

Backlighting and protection. A lot of people don't run 3 monitors, either. I would however like very thin bezels, I think having it on the bottom and the sides and not extruding would be pretty cool.

Spoiler

there are some monitors with very slim bezels out there like almost non existent 

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Stop being a f***ing grammar nazi. There was nothing wrong with his post. You could understand it very well. Not everybody speaks english as their first language you know. I'm sick of people like you.

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

like logan did then he put it on that arm connected to his mini itx pc

Sent from my future spaceship

you couldn't care less? so you actually care to some extent then? is there some reason you can't care less than you already do?

Couldn't care less means he doesn't care at all. You're smart ass comment would of worked if he said "could care less".

As far as bezels go, i actually like them, i think it would look a bit weird if there was no obvious edge to the screen.

I don't see how it's necessary to be rude and obnoxious to someone about something completely unrelated just to sate your undying need for attention that you lack in the real world. & Actually no, my statement was correct.

LCD panels are very delicate.  The bezel is there not only to protect the display from direct impact on the edges, but also for structural rigidity to protect the panel from torque.  There are also electronics behind the panel that extend past the pixel grid in some places.

What possible electronics are there behind it? & what prevents them from being move to be directly behind the panel? (could they not just use a stronger panel material to prevent torque? I'm sure there's panel material that's stronger then plastic? Or is it because it's so wide/tall that the size/thickness would cause a warp without a separate object maintaining balance?

Couldn't care less means he doesn't care at all. You're smart ass comment would of worked if he said "could care less".

As far as bezels go, i actually like them, i think it would look a bit weird if there was no obvious edge to the screen.

I like thin bezels, like those around a few oled tvs i've seen, with a thin black border. one of the reasons i'll be using a lg29e3p

I could have not said it better myself, Glenwing.

There exists LCD panel without borders (well 1 to 3 mm). They are mostly used on something called Video walls. Where you have many of them in a row.

It's mostly used in commercial spaces. They cost a lot to produce, and also they are more fragile, and not designed to be manipulated once installed.

If his on the side, the entire screen will crack as it is a sandwich of glass (except the front most layer, which is a plastic coating).

The display must also survive transportation to the store and by the client. Video walls are always installed by the monitor manufacture as it's delicate, or by a an affiliate company, or by a trained staff and certified company (for example a company putting these displays to show ads). That is why, when you want to check the price of a Video wall screen, you need to request a quote.

You can see Video wall in action at a Microsoft Store.

Haha I always wondered about those. That'd be awesome to have one 21:9 wall to watch as a giant tv wall. So the overall consensus is for structural support as well as some hidden circuitry underneath. 

The ignorant will show ignorance in everything.

What I stated was close to impossible without a lot of experience and knowledge, so good luck and refer to my my previous statement to understand why.

Kind of an irrelevant and low blow.

The guy asked a question, just answer it, the backhanded comment is unnecessary. This isn't the LinusTechTips for the Grammatically Correct forums.

"Rampage IV" - Gaming PC

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced    EVGA GeForce GTX 980                            ASUS VE278H 27in LED Monitor x 3

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition         G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz     Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W

i7 4930k - Overclocked @ 4.5GHz     Samsung 850 SSD 250GB x2 RAID 0           Western Digital Blue 1TB

Logitech G930 Wireless Headset      Razer Naga 2012 MMO Gaming Mouse      Logitech G710+ Mechanical Keyboard

"EMCMS-ESXI" - Server

HPZ800 Workstation Chassis           Seagate 4TB NAS Drive x 4 RAID Z           48GB ECC Elpida DDR3 SDRAM

Xeon E5620 @ 2.66GHz x 2             PNY CS2211 240GB SSD                          HP 80 PLUS Silver APFC PSU - 1110W

LSI 9211-8i SAS in IT Mode

Try out a 3 monitor setup then come back to me on hoe much you like bezels

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Stop being a f***ing grammar nazi. There was nothing wrong with his post. You could understand it very well. Not everybody speaks english as their first language you know. I'm sick of people like you.

He lives in NYC, asked a dumb question, and the title doesn't even use the correct words, I'm just trying to help people because how well they use written language shows their intelligence.

like logan did then he put it on that arm connected to his mini itx pc

Sent from my future spaceship

He didn't take off the sheath, so there was still technically a bezel.

He lives in NYC, asked a dumb question, and the title doesn't even use the correct words, I'm just trying to help people because how well they use written language shows their intelligence.

Like Sevilla said, just answer the damn question, and stop being such an asshole. It doesn't matter if the title is correct or not. Not everyone are pros at spelling and writing, and mistakes are human. Just like how you accidentally repeated the word me in a post you just made. Just like how I'm not the greatest at english. Well, guess why? I'm 15, and I'm swedish, so yeah, this post may not be good enough for you, maybe it's not grammatically correct. I bet it isn't, but who honestly gives a damn? As long as you can understand what a person is saying, it's all good!

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

Like Sevilla said, just answer the damn question, and stop being such an asshole. It doesn't matter if the title is correct or not. Not everyone are pros at spelling and writing, and mistakes are human. Just like how you accidentally repeated the word me in a post you just made. Just like how I'm not the greatest at english. Well, guess why? I'm 15, and I'm swedish, so yeah, this post may not be good enough for you, maybe it's not grammatically correct. I bet it isn't, but who honestly gives a damn? As long as you can understand what a person is saying, it's all good!

okay