Suggested CPU Upgrades (Removing a Bottleneck?) for Gaming

I'm looking to upgrade my current CPU to something with a little more power. I'm using this system (Specs posted below) primarily for gaming but lately I've been finding myself playing more CPU bound game and I think this is what is letting me down somewhat. I'm fairly happy with my GTX970 and don't think that is the problem.

I've been playing Arma, Total War and even some BF1 recently and could probably use some better hardware at this point. I tend to play quite a few lower spec games as well but they obviously aren't having any issues. Would the AMD FX8350 be a worthwhile upgrade in your opinion? I'm trying to keep my budget to around $250 aud with wiggle-room and this chip fits into that. It appears to be compatible with my motherboard, not be too excessively power hungry compared to the 6300. I don't really know what I'm doing though, PC building and even PC gaming to an extent is fairly new to me so let me know what you think. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I'm new to the forums here as well so let me know if I've done something stupid like post in the wrong place or something.

Thanks again

PC specs.PNG

if you're an AMD fan, I recon you should wait for Zen to come out. Changing motherboards will also get you access to some newer features like NVME and usb 3.1/thunderbolt etc... I think when Zen comes out you will be able to get a new CPU and mobo for around 400-450 AUD if you're willing to save up a bit more.

34 minutes ago, Icarus3311 said:

I'm looking to upgrade my current CPU to something with a little more power. I'm using this system (Specs posted below) primarily for gaming but lately I've been finding myself playing more CPU bound game and I think this is what is letting me down somewhat. I'm fairly happy with my GTX970 and don't think that is the problem.

I've been playing Arma, Total War and even some BF1 recently and could probably use some better hardware at this point. I tend to play quite a few lower spec games as well but they obviously aren't having any issues. Would the AMD FX8350 be a worthwhile upgrade in your opinion? I'm trying to keep my budget to around $250 aud with wiggle-room and this chip fits into that. It appears to be compatible with my motherboard, not be too excessively power hungry compared to the 6300. I don't really know what I'm doing though, PC building and even PC gaming to an extent is fairly new to me so let me know what you think. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I'm new to the forums here as well so let me know if I've done something stupid like post in the wrong place or something.

Thanks again

PC specs.PNG

Hey there, may I ask what program you're using for that specification info?

PC Specs

i7 6700

Asus H110-PLUS

ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC

EVGA G2 550W PSU

3TB HD & 255GB SSD

CiT Galaxy Evolution

Upgrades

EVGA G2 550W PSU

Asus Strix GTX 1070

NZXT S340 ELITE BLACK

I'm not necessarily an AMD fan. Is there an Intel chip that would better suit my situation? 

I'll definitely have to do some more research into Zen. It seems like it might be a pretty big jump in price to what I was expecting but it might be worth it.

Thanks for the responses

I have the same processor and video card combo as you do and was thinking of upgrading as well, but you just have to wait for RYZEN now whether you are a fan of intel or amd because if amd price their stuff right, you can bet that intel will pull down prices too, then sell your stuff used and use the cash for whichever upgrade you prefer! (Y)