2 internet connections, 2 pcs, 3 routers weird setup, is there a chance?

stuck stock heatsink
Go to solution Solved by leadeater,
10 minutes ago, AdamIsaacLang said:

Load balancing does not combine internet for double speed. I splits up the traffic to each WAN line. You can set it up so it exclusively sends a device to one line or the other.

This is the only way you're going to be able to have the two PCs on the same LAN while having to different WAN lines.

While using pfsense is better it can be done using the plan he has outlined.

You don't even have to put the internet connections over wireless, using static IP address will work fine using all wired connections

@stuck stock heatsink Here's how you can do it all wired if you want.

Router #3 (192.168.1.3/24):

LAN1: Gaming PC

LAN2: Streaming PC

LAN3: VDSL

LAN4 ADSL

VDSL Router (192.168.1.1/24):

WAN1: Internet

LAN1: Router #3

ADSL Router (192.168.1.2/24):

Gaming PC:

IP Address: 192.168.1.4/24

Gateway: 192.168.1.2

Streaming PC:

IP Address: 192.168.1.5/24

Gateway: 192.16.1.1

Also to be clear you don't actually need the 3rd router, you can just link the ADSL and VDSL router using LAN1 on each of them and plug the computers in to any one of them and use the IP addresses I mentioned. Also make sure only one router has DHCP enabled, you're using static IP addresses anyway but for other things that won't be you can/should only have 1 active DHCP server.

that was my first question about that problem:

it looks weird :D but is it possible to use that way?

i have 3 modem routers...

1-my vdsl connection

2-my adsl connection

3-just to set a lan between my 2 computers (wireless)

first, i will connect both my computers to modem #3 no internet connection. just lan. so i can stream to pc#2 from pc#1 / via NGINX rtmp stream using obs

then i will connect to adsl with my gaming pc, so i can play my game with that connection.

then i will connect to vdsl with my streaming pc, so i can stream my game to twitch...

this way both my computers will have only 1 internet connection, and i can stream from gaming pc to streaming pc. would that work?

if it's possible to use that way i will get my second connection soon.

You'll have to build a pfsense box to do load balancing for the internet connection. Then just put the third router in the same DHCP pool/subnet as the main router.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

5 minutes ago, AdamIsaacLang said:

You'll have to build a pfsense box to do load balancing for the internet connection. Then just put the third router in the same DHCP pool/subnet as the main router.

i dont wanna combine my internets... i cant pay to build a pfsense box to do load balancing or something...

i just asking that, would that setup work "as i said" ?

i dont care if its impractical or is it best way to do it or not...

1 minute ago, stuck stock heatsink said:

i dont wanna combine my internets... i cant pay to build a pfsense box to do load balancing or something...

i just asking that, would that setup work "as i said" ?

i dont care if its impractical or is it best way to do it or not...

Load balancing does not combine internet for double speed. I splits up the traffic to each WAN line. You can set it up so it exclusively sends a device to one line or the other.

This is the only way you're going to be able to have the two PCs on the same LAN while having to different WAN lines.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

10 minutes ago, AdamIsaacLang said:

You don't even have to put the internet connections over wireless, using static IP address will work fine using all wired connections

LAN4 ADSL

Gaming PC:

Streaming PC:

Also to be clear you don't actually need the 3rd router, you can just link the ADSL and VDSL router using LAN1 on each of them and plug the computers in to any one of them and use the IP addresses I mentioned. Also make sure only one router has DHCP enabled, you're using static IP addresses anyway but for other things that won't be you can/should only have 1 active DHCP server.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

LAN4 ADSL

Gaming PC:

Streaming PC:

thanks for the detailed info :) so, getting second internet connection will fix my problems now :) thats great. hope i can get second internet in the same address without a problem too :D my isp is really bad lol.

2 minutes ago, stuck stock heatsink said:

thanks for the detailed info :) so, getting second internet connection will fix my problems now :) thats great. hope i can get second internet in the same address without a problem too :D my isp is really bad lol.

Problem will actually be getting a second phone line and have to pay line rental on that too. I see in your other thread that people are discussing QoS, on home routers QoS is pretty crap and doesn't really work. There are however windows applications that can do it so if you can't go the ISP 2nd line route or it will be too costly that is another option.

Here's the native Windows way to do it, not all editions of Windows can do this so if you can't get 'Group Policy Object Editor' open then you can't do it. There are 3rd party applications that you can buy but I can't remember any of their names.

http://www.biztechmagazine.com/article/2010/03/boost-network-performance-windows-7-qos

You want to enable outbound throttle rate.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Problem will actually be getting a second phone line and have to pay line rental on that too. I see in your other thread that people are discussing QoS, on home routers QoS is pretty crap and doesn't really work. There are however windows applications that can do it so if you can't go the ISP 2nd line route or it will be too costly that is another option.

i have a killer ethernet on my mobo. it's own qos doesnt do anything at all...

tried netbalancer. kinda better but still not enough and only works when streaming 1000kbps or less bitrate.

in this building half of the apartments are empty and i have a cat6 cable from isp box to my own apartment. so i can possibly get 4 line.

Just now, stuck stock heatsink said:

i have a killer ethernet on my mobo. it's own qos doesnt do anything at all...

tried netbalancer. kinda better but still not enough and only works when streaming 1000kbps or less bitrate.

in this building half of the apartments are empty and i have a cat6 cable from isp box to my own apartment. so i can possibly get 4 line.

OK sounds like you've been down this path already and hasn't work. That's the inherent problem with QoS, to enforce the bandwidth limit it just drops packets to do it and also in the hopes Windows will readjust it's TCP window size to then self adhere to the limit, which won't do anything for UDP traffic which is gaming and streaming and dropping packets for these is just bad all round.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

OK sounds like you've been down this path already and hasn't work. That's the inherent problem with QoS, to enforce the bandwidth limit it just drops packets to do it and also in the hopes Windows will readjust it's TCP window size to then self adhere to the limit, which won't do anything for UDP traffic which is gaming and streaming and dropping packets for these is just bad all round.

well i even tried to drop obs packets for getting better ping in my game.

but my maximum stream quality went down and i had fps drops all the time.

b8YSvdh.png

when i set 3% drop my in game ping was mostly stable between 67-75ms (off stream completely stable 67-68ms) with spikes time to time. maybe once in a minute or so...

wasnt terrible i mean. but i had 20% frame drop on obs.

with less than 3% drop my frame drops wasnt terrible but then my game ping becomes worse :D

second internet connection is the only way i guess