Need help with GPU upgrade

kevinisbeast707
Go to solution Solved by Simon771,
2 minutes ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

That's what I was worried about with SLI. But it'd be between two plain reference 780s. But I'm not too worried about power consumption.

Oh my bad ... It's GTX 780 in SLI not GTX 780 Ti.

GTX 780 is 30% behind R9 Fury

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-Fury-vs-Nvidia-GTX-780/3509vs2164

And I also saw that you were mistaken about the price 165$ for RX 480 xD 

R9 Fury is a winner here. It does have best performance out of all those cards that you mentioned. GTX 780 SLI would perform a bit better in SOME games, but would also cause problems in other games. So if you ask me, R9 Fury is your best bet, even if I'm not AMD fan and I prefer Nvidia.

2 minutes ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

Awesome? I'm nowhere near good enough anymore to where I feel that 144hz would benefit me. You don't have any issues with IPS motion blur though? I can't say I've ever had an issue but idk I was also looking at the um67 or the 58

Motion blur is unnoticeable. IPS glow is there, but it's almost unnoticeable unless the display is black.

I would go with the 29UM67 though. The 34UM67 is too big for its resolution and the 58 lacks Displayport (therefore no Freesync) and does have more motion blur. The 68 has a 6 bit color depth whereas the 67 has 6 bit plus dithering to approximate a 8 bit color depth.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

5 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

Note taken and immediately disregarded.

Edit: Congratulations.

2 minutes ago, Phentos said:

Motion blur is unnoticeable. IPS glow is there, but it's almost unnoticeable unless the display is black.

I would go with the 29UM67 though. The 34UM67 is too big for its resolution and the 58 lacks Displayport (therefore no Freesync) and does have more motion blur. The 68 has a 6 bit color depth whereas the 67 has 6 bit plus dithering to approximate a 8 bit color depth.

Oops sorry I meant to specify that it'd be 29" because of its similar height to 24" 16:9. Awesome thanks so much???

19 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

@kevinisbeast707- The R9 390 for $130 sealed is the best deal here.

I Heavily considered that and tbh if the fury goes up I'll be getting that unsteady but I think I'll bite the bullet here and go for the fury so I could at least crossfire a more powerful card if need be.

A huge thank you to everyone who replied you all made the choice seem simple. I'll be going with the fury however if anyone ever finds a better deal or thinks of something please don't hesitate to post. Thanks a bunch?

3 minutes ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

I Heavily considered that and tbh if the fury goes up I'll be getting that unsteady but I think I'll bite the bullet here and go for the fury so I could at least crossfire a more powerful card if need be.

Well, if you can afford it, sure. It's just that the R9 390 is much better value at a mere $130, and it's also a sealed card, which means you don't run the same risks as you would of buying a used card. For instance, an unopened, unused video card can't have been used for bitcoin mining, or have its BIOS modded or tinkered with. I would recommend taking that into consideration.

At any rate, the Fury is a better card. I just don't know if it's worth twice the price.

4 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Well, if you can afford it, sure. It's just that the R9 390 is much better value at a mere $130, and it's also a sealed card, which means you don't run the same risks as you would of buying a used card. For instance, an unopened, unused video card can't have been used for bitcoin mining, or have its BIOS modded or tinkered with. I would recommend taking that into consideration.

At any rate, the Fury is a better card. I just don't know if it's worth twice the price.

Begs the question though.

Why is that seller selling an ostensibly brand new 390 for that cheap? And the picture is blurry, for all you know they could have grabbed the image right off of Google.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

4 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

The fury would be brand new off of Amazon. But yeah I absolutely understand where you're coming from and I would absolutely do that again if it hasn't aged so much. It's basically a beefier r9 290. I bought my 285 used for 160 which at the time when it was relatively new was a steal but it was messed up with missing thermal compound and it eventually died. Luckily Asus has great customer service and I ended up getting a brand new card. So I know what it's like to have a bad used card? and if I end up needing something like a new Mobo then that card is a steal! That's probably the best bang for buck I could get tbh?

1 hour ago, Phentos said:

Begs the question though.

Why is that seller selling an ostensibly brand new 390 for that cheap? And the picture is blurry, for all you know they could have grabbed the image right off of Google.

You're right, but he offered to test the card. Hang on, if the card is sealed...

Alright, I'm a colossal idiot.

11 hours ago, Aereldor said:

You're right, but he offered to test the card. Hang on, if the card is sealed...

Alright, I'm a colossal idiot.

I just realized that too? oh well.