anti-static wrist strap, how do they work?

Romano
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,
2 minutes ago, Romano said:

I'm dumb but, all this means the anti-static wrist strap of that guy perfectly works? or nope?

Most likely, yes.

So I found this review on amazon and made me think if my current anti-static wrist strap works well, did the test and there was no electrical path through the grounding wire as Bruce A. says in his review, if it was good it should have one right?

Please help me understand what's happening here, I ended damaging mine doing several tests and cutting the cable to see if it had electrical path, good thing they are cheap but wanted to post this here for answers, don't want to buy another one just to have the same result

help!

Screenshot_1.png

Edited by Godlygamer23
Corrected image upload.

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

CPU: i7-3770k @4.3 / GPU: GTX 1080 Asus Strix / Cooling: CoolerMaster V8 / Mobo: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth / Ram: 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury / SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / HDD: Western Digital 4TB

PSU: Corsair RM 1000 / Case: Corsair 750D / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 3.5 / Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma Green Kailh switches /  Mouse mat: Razer Destructor  

Monitor: BenQ XL24II 144Hz / Projector: BenQ W1070 110' Screen / Controller: Xbox One Wireless / Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Devices: Honor 8 - Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10'

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Workstation PC

CPU: i5-6600k / Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX /  Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Gene / Ram: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000Mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: Western Digital 1TB / PSU: Corsair CX 450M / Case: Corsair Air 240 / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Corsair Logitech MX Master / Keyboard: Quisan TKL Cherry MX Brown switches /

Speakers: Kanto YU2GW Headphones: Logitech H150 / Monitor: LG 29UM68-P Ultrawide 29" / 

5 minutes ago, Romano said:

So I found this review on amazon and made me think if my current anti-static wrist strap works well, did the test and there was no electrical path through the grounding wire as Bruce A. says in his review, if it was good it should have one right?

Please help me understand what's happening here, I ended damaging mine doing several tests and cutting the cable to see if it had electrical path, good thing they are cheap but wanted to post this here for answers, don't want to buy another one just to have the same result

help!

It depends if the unit has a 1M ohm resistor since many built that in place as a safety if they use a mains type grounding system for their ESD devices. However you should be able to measure that with a multi-meter and see if there is a resistor inline. 

All a wrist strap is, is a wire with a snap on one end(in your example) or just a contact on one end(the wrist strap part) that connects to a piece of metal to dissipate any static electricity that may build up, as our bodies are effectively capacitors. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

It depends if the unit has a 1M ohm resistor since many built that in place as a safety if they use a mains type grounding system for their ESD devices. However you should be able to measure that with a multi-meter and see if there is a resistor inline. 

Another reason why they might have a certain amount of resistance is to avoid the static shock that could be felt normally.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

10 minutes ago, Romano said:

Please help me understand what's happening here, I ended damaging mine doing several tests[.]

I'm confused as to how you could possibly damage it from performing tests. 

First we need to understand voltage which you can look up in wikipedia but TLDR voltage is not a magic number; Its a measure of electrical difference, which i was taught in physics is termed 'potential difference'. So if i hold each probe of a meter in each hand i might get a reading of a couple of millivolts; this is the electrical difference between my hands. It does not mean my hands hold that value of electrical power it means this is the difference of electrical power between them.

Static electricity such as walking on carpet with socks can generate hundreds or thousands of volts above the environment around them. If you are statically charged and then touch an integrated circuit, the potential difference can do some damage to the microscopic circuitry.

Your power transmission system requires that your house is connected to earth; that means somewhere in your house or builiding there is a large copper stake driven into the ground. This is essentially an electrical reference point to the planet we live on. An anti static wrist strap is just a copper wire that connects you to earth. So if any static electricity comes into your workbench or your body it will travel through your houses earth wire instead of frying your semiconductors.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

26 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

All a wrist strap is, is a wire with a snap on one end(in your example) or just a contact on one end(the wrist strap part) that connects to a piece of metal to dissipate any static electricity that may build up, as our bodies are effectively capacitors. 

Sometimes I like to climb into my case and pretend I'm a capacitor.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

wouldn't wrapping a copper wire around your wrist and the other end around any metal do the same?

I'm dumb but, all this means the anti-static wrist strap of that guy perfectly works? or nope?

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

CPU: i7-3770k @4.3 / GPU: GTX 1080 Asus Strix / Cooling: CoolerMaster V8 / Mobo: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth / Ram: 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury / SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / HDD: Western Digital 4TB

PSU: Corsair RM 1000 / Case: Corsair 750D / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 3.5 / Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma Green Kailh switches /  Mouse mat: Razer Destructor  

Monitor: BenQ XL24II 144Hz / Projector: BenQ W1070 110' Screen / Controller: Xbox One Wireless / Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Devices: Honor 8 - Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10'

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Workstation PC

CPU: i5-6600k / Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX /  Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Gene / Ram: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000Mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: Western Digital 1TB / PSU: Corsair CX 450M / Case: Corsair Air 240 / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Corsair Logitech MX Master / Keyboard: Quisan TKL Cherry MX Brown switches /

Speakers: Kanto YU2GW Headphones: Logitech H150 / Monitor: LG 29UM68-P Ultrawide 29" / 

2 minutes ago, Romano said:

Most likely, yes.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Most likely, yes.

F*ck that means I broke mine for good

Whats_App_Image_2016_12_27_at_10_50_36_P

why the tester don't moves when I put it both edges then?

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

Workstation PC

1 minute ago, Romano said:

Not sure what you're asking here.

4 minutes ago, Romano said:

F*ck that means I broke mine for good

Set it to continuity check if there is anything, if it gives nothing then put it to ohms to see what the resistance is that should be extremely high if there is a resistor inline. 

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Not sure what you're asking here.

Sorry, what I wanted to ask was this:

30f9db6bf1154661b6e737bbae8a2d17.png

why there's no lecture there?, doing what's above in that image should mark something in that screen?

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

Workstation PC

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

Set it to continuity check if there is anything, if it gives nothing then put it to ohms to see what the resistance is that should be extremely high if there is a resistor inline. 

like this? 

60087cd1_8480_4052_8009_645b76907cdb.jpg

8061289f_91ed_43df_b3ac_bfe216d323c6.jpg

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

Workstation PC

like this? 

Yes but that meter is only capable of a max of 200K ohms but should basically just have it hit the limit of the scale. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yes but that meter is only capable of a max of 200K ohms but should basically just have it hit the limit of the scale. 

in my case it don't moves, this means mine was working well and I'll have to buy a new one since these things really works, that's correct?

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

Workstation PC

in my case it don't moves, this means mine was working well and I'll have to buy a new one since these things really works, that's correct?

Does it move if you just touch the leads together for continuity check, your meter can't measure the ohms if there is an inline resistor. 

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

Does it move if you just touch the leads together for continuity check, your meter can't measure the ohms if there is an inline resistor. 

Screenshot_2.png

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

Workstation PC

[removed]

My first thought is that the resistor is in the connector body itself where the clip is.

I'm reading and reading and this is becoming worse, I always used my anti-static wrist strap in a painted surface of my case, never with the PSU connected/plugged (also my wall sockets don't have ground wire) in I guess all this time I been lucky about not frying my pc parts

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

Workstation PC

I'm reading and reading and this is becoming worse, I always used my anti-static wrist strap in a painted surface of my case, never with the PSU connected/plugged (also my wall sockets don't have ground wire) in I guess all this time I been lucky about not frying my pc parts

The static electricity that people generate(depending on humidity) is not usually enough to kill PC parts. It could damage them though, and many motherboards nowadays will come with components that can protect the delicate circuitry against ESD.

6 minutes ago, Romano said:

your antistatic wrist strap should be plugged into your house earth

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_