Bought a Sapphire vapor-x 7970, received an OC with boost edition

Update in last post : OC results

Hey,

So yeah, I just received my second Sapphire vapor-X 7970 that I ordered off ebay. I'm ready for crossfire !

Except it's an OC with boost edition. I feel stupid but looking back at the listing, I understand why I thought it was a vapor-x (see for yourself : http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAPPHIRE-Radeon-HD-7970-3GB-Ready-CrossFireX-Support-Video-Card-OC-with-Boost-/300990379141?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=OMYRw7YO1HuOV6QIHIMBF8pXL2c%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc)

I contacted buyer but no response yet. I now see that it's not covered by ebay's buyer protection program (whatever that is) and that I can return it for refund but at my cost of shipping. 

So what now ?

I mean I could :

1 - Still run crossfire off of Vapor-X + OC with boost but I won't reach the same clocks. 

2- Return it for a refund and lose shipping cost.

3- Try to sell it back and buy a Vapor-X but possibly lose money in the process cause of selling/buying price, ebay tax, ...

4- Ask seller for a discount.

5- Sell both and buy a R9 290x

6-???

7- Profit ?

Opinions ?

Spoiler

Can your PSU run both ?

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

It sure can (OCZ ZX1000)

Why not just run both, and OC the other one too

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

1) Overclock them both to the same speeds

2) ???

3) Profit

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Why not just run both, and OC the other one too

When I get back home I'm gonna test this one.

I currently achieve 1150 Mhz core, 1600 MHz mem on 1200mV core, with my Vapor-X. 

Hope this one can reach and exceed.

Spoiler

2) ???

3) Profit

4- Ask seller for discount ?

Spoiler

4- Ask seller for discount ?

You can do that, but don't expect much

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

You can do that, but don't expect much

I also asked for crossfire bridge and adapter, which he didn't include.

I'm quite pissed.

Spoiler

I also asked for crossfire bridge and adapter, which he didn't include.

I'm quite pissed.

eBay Resolution center - explain the situation and demand that they send it or return some money. If they said they would include them in the first place

osu! profile

I have that OC version of the 7970, it gets to 1100mhz gpu and 6300mhz vram without increasing the power limit, i haven't pushed it far because its enough for my games, also I need a better PSU for the ITX system where that card is (psu coil whines, so i think it may be reaching its limit, corsair 550w no 80+).

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

to play devils advocate the auction CLEARLY stated what you were buying.

Even so you could try to OC your current card to the new one, Or downclock the new one to the old one?

to play devils advocate the auction CLEARLY stated what you were buying.

Even so you could try to OC your current card to the new one, Or downclock the new one to the old one?

The auction mentions OC with boost edition in title and in short product description (while title could be interpreted as Vapor X since it also has an OC boost). However, Vapor-X in shown in photos and described in long product description. Oh and seller and me exchanged maybe 6 messages in which I refered to Vapor-X edition and he never corrected me.

7 people out of 10 would have made the mistake.... edit: especially when going through results obtained searching "vapor-x 7970".

Spoiler

The listed photo album is misleading, he didn't include a bridge or an adapter, what a* bumhole.
The 7970 Dual-X is not bad, not in anyway (I have one) but the seller is still a deceiver.

Do you have a CrossfireX bridge ? one should have came with your 7970 Vapor-X, you wouldn't need another.
I'd personally tell you to test it out and if it reaches 1150mhz just keep it.

The listed photo album is misleading, he didn't include a bridge or an adapter, what an bumhole.

The 7970 Dual-X is not bad, not in anyway (I have one) but the seller is still a deceiver.

Do you have a CrossfireX bridge ? one should have came with your 7970 Vapor-X, you wouldn't need another.

I'd personally tell you to test it out and if it reaches 1150mhz just keep it.

Yes I plan on doing exactly that.

The ad mentions that he sells card only but that he can give the included crossfire bridge and adapter if needed, which I requested.

But yeah I have one somewhere, I just wanted what's included with the card, you know, for the box full of wires and stuff.

Spoiler

Guess what I just noticed ?

- Bent brackets

IMG_0015.jpgIMG_0016.jpg

-Slightly bent pcb

IMG_0021.jpg

Maybe it's because this was shipped wrapped in newspapers and in a cereal box. #shippingfail

Update: He replied back and said that he offers me 15$ rebate or refund if shipped back. He also said that he sent bridge and adapter in separate package. Props to him for being open about this.

Spoiler

Guess what I just noticed ?

- Bent brackets

-Slightly bent pcb

Maybe it's because this was shipped wrapped in newspapers and in a cereal box. #shippingfail

Personally if that shipped to me i would be sending it right back and getting a refund, do you know if it still works ?

Personally if that shipped to me i would be sending it right back and getting a refund, do you know if it still works ?

Will be testing that in about 2 hours.

Spoiler

Maybe he took off the cooler at one point and over tightened one set?

Maybe he took off the cooler at one point and over tightened one set?

That would not account for the bend at far side of pcb. Thats shipping torture (or user torture for that matter).

Spoiler

2) ???

3) Profit

So good. 

yesitis2.gif

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

I get the feeling it shipped like that, Consitering everything that you've said about it.

Ok so here it is, the test results.

The card works fine. I was able to oveclock it to 1100 MHz core and 1500 MHz memory on 1200 mV core (stock : 1175mV). I might squeeze another 25 MHz here and there but at current settings I get a small coil whine and I don't want to go over 1200 mV, which is the Vapor-X's stock voltage (at least for the OC boost bios). With 1100 - 1500 - 1200, I get a score of 890 on Heaven, which is 10 higher than my Vapor-X which is set at 1150 - 1600 - 1200. Strange. However, the Vapor-X has some wiggle room too. 

So what should I do ?

1- keep the card and get 15$ refund 

2- return it for an extra 25$ and get a total refund from paypal (user will only refund selling price and not shipping and import tax, paypal's coverage might offer me a total refund), then buy another vapor-X

3- I don't see another option

I think I'll keep it...

Spoiler

just to grab you guys' attention. Check out results in previous post.

Spoiler